The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from your neighbor, you get visitors on your property ?

Fisher Cat strolled by this morning. They're around. We rarely see them but when winter comes, plenty of tracks. The pattern makes it easy to identify them. 1,2,3 ... 1,2,3 ... 1,2,3, like they only have 3 paws. It's because they step in their own tracks, once on the right, once on the left.
Road surface Water Asphalt Grass Snow

We also have a million deer, some coyotes, foxes, minks and more from this family, otters, black bears. Wild turkeys, 50 of them across the dirt road yesterday, got to wait for them to sprawl.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Well I had a throw down with a bevy of Racoons on garbage day. They came out of the bush as soon as I brought the trash cans out.
Last night I chased a bear from a new area under construction in my 'hood. I call them bear-holes as they are essentially overgrown rats when it comes to being a nuisance.

Fun wildlife include Barred Owls that when they hoot, they sound like lunatics who've escaped from an asylum. We hade a pair of Fishers going at it in our hemlock in the back a few springs ago. Craziest racket imaginable.
Lots of coyotes - we call them party dogs and they keep the feral cat population in check.

Lots of activity where I live.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of coyotes - we call them party dogs and they keep the feral cat population in check.
People tend to think that coyotes are the ones that get the cats. Where does a cat goes when chased ? Up something, most often a tree. That is where the Fisher excels. One of its favorite food is porcupine, second best is cat. They have highly mobile ankle joints that can rotate their hind paws almost 180°, allowing them to maneuver well in trees and climb down head-first. The fisher is one of relatively few mammalian species with the ability to descend trees head-first. Cats have no chance whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
27,235 Posts
We just get rabbits, skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, and the odd fox. Nothing bigger than that. We did have a fawn wander into the schoolyard behind us a few years back. I gather it had wandered along the stream that wends its way from the green belt, a few kilometres south of here to the Ottawa River. It was early on a Sunday morning, so I gather there was no traffic to frighten it back and not cross the road.

When we lived in Victoria, there were regular cougar sightings in the city and suburbs, that would result in the University daycare keeping the kids inside all day. On one occasion, a white-tail stag and a few females, took up residence in the daycare's play area. They were just laying down, chillaxing. No bears, though.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get a few moose hanging out in the yard on occasion, that's it, as far as I know.
Yep, we do get a few of those from time to time.
... Barred Owls that when they hoot, they sound like lunatics who've escaped from an asylum.
We to have those. When we first moved to this jungle, I once heard one in the middle of the day and figured if I went to the woods, maybe I could mimics its call and it would come closer. I did and within 10 seconds there was three woodpeckers staring down at me from nearby branches. I guess they don't like Barred Owls !

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Deer, moose, coyotes, porcupines. They get braver as the snow gets deeper. Moose love apples, and apples trees. Squirrels, a rabbit, a feral cat, and I've even seen racoons (didn't think we had those here) .

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I'm not in the country, by any means, but we do have a fairly substantial forest nearby, so we see deer, coyotes, bears, porcupines, raccoons, foxes, wild turkeys, rabbits, squirrels and lots of birds. I shot this barred owl in the forest about a minute from my front door in Sep 2020.

Plant Bird Twig Beak Wood

Bird Plant Twig Tree Trunk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not in the country, by any means, but we do have a fairly substantial forest nearby, so we see deer, coyotes, bears, porcupines, raccoons, foxes, wild turkeys, rabbits, squirrels and lots of birds. I shot this barred owl in the forest about a minute from my front door in Sep 2020.

View attachment 389665
View attachment 389666
Nice photos. I hear them all the time but seldom see any.

·
Premium Member
11,952 Posts
A friend’s trail cameras get bear, fox, deer, martin, raccoon, porcupine, regularly. They‘re less than a kilometre from our place up north, but at our place we’re lucky to see fox…we’ll, and seagulls all the time. At home in town all we get are birds, chipmunks, and squirrels. Those fucking squirrels. Once in a while a hawk will swoop in under the back porch roof and grab a sparrow, that kind of fun to watch.

·
Premium Member
14,688 Posts
Once in a while a hawk will swoop in under the back porch roof and grab a sparrow, that kind of fun to watch.
I just happened to catch one snatch a dove in the air by our neighbours bird feeder.
Here it is prepping it's meal.

Reactions: BGood and Mooh
1 - 20 of 28 Posts