The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of Jan 30, 2019, Nintendo Wii will no longer support Netflix. Given that this is how we generally watch Netflix, I'm curious about alternatives. I know there are "smart TVs" that advertise their ability to receive a variety of on-line services, but I was looking for something cheaper and less space-occupying than buying a new TV.

Do "media boxes" serve that function, or is something else required?

·
Premium Member
13,086 Posts
I am currently viewing YouTube videos on Chromecast. If I find a useful one, I will post it. As for Netflix only, my Samsung BluRay player has wireless and I can get Netflix on it.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Second re comp hookup to the TV. We don't bother with cable anymore so I have a comp permanently in the living room for the TV.

Other option is your DVD/Blu Ray player - IIRC most support Netflix if you get the wifi option (can be added later via plug USB stick if you didn't get it at first).

·
Registered
24,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should be clear that I am not trying to find anything that would bypass formal subscriptions. We're intent on maintaining a normal Netflix subscription, but using something other than a Wii to access it. And since my wife is the principle Netflix user, ideally it would be something that doesn't require consulting a manual or switching a bunch of things any time she wants to watch. Simpler is better.

·
Premium Member
13,086 Posts
For simplicity, my BluRay player with WiFi connection. As simple as it gets for me. Play discs or select Netflix...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Another vote for the Roku. I have a Roku stick I travel with. Cheap and always works. At home I use an old Apple TV. Works good too.

·
Registered
24,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved. Picked up a $40 Android media player at Factorydirect, and the set-up was surprisingly easy. The minimal information provided in ad flyers never really made it clear to me that this could do the job, and sales staff weren't always a step up from that. However, your collective mention of various sorts of media players prodded me to dig a little deeper, and I was able to find the information that cinched it for me. So thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Those are all good options.

I had an old laptop kicking around that was slow running windows 7 and ended up collecting dust. I changed the operating system to Lubuntu and it's damn snappy browsing and perfect for streaming or downloading. It's basically a very slim operating system that uses less resources than windows XP so very quick.

You can buy cordless keyboard with built in touch pad for like 30 bucks as your remote. Way better than any tv box and most people have old laptops kicking around.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts