The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here using them? Please share your experiences.

My situation is, my network is centralized in the basement on one side of the house. that's where my lines come in, all my cat 5e cable terminates (I have a switch, connected to a router and a modem) that distributes throughout the house. problem is, I have some dead spots in wifi on the second floor, particularly on the opposite side of the house.
options: wifi range extender (I have no experience with them)
or I could plug an old wifi router that I have (10+yrs old) into an outlet upstairs and use that as a repeater/booster.
whats the best (most economical, effective, easy solution?

·
Registered
15,293 Posts
It just so happens that I'm going to look at wireless wifi extenders in about 10 minutes or so. I tried the router thing and found out that my old, wired router will not work with my new router. The older granddaughters room in the basement has one small live spot where she can get wifi on her phone. The rest of her room is shielded with ducting, pipes, the furnace and a few other metal things. Being an old house plug-ins are scarce in that part of the basement too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My home network is also centralized in the basement, with Cat 5 wires running from there to various rooms upstairs. I use an Asus wifi router on the second floor as AP, but the signal was rather weak for the living room.

Bought a Netgear AC780 wifi range extender about 2 years ago. It is plugged to an AC outlet on the ground floor and is set up to receive the wifi signal from the Asus router. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I read the title as "wife range extenders" and I was very confused.
I'm not sure if this will work for you but trading her in for two twenty five's seems like a reasonable solution, depending on your age and her age, you might be young enough to get a couple of 18/19 year olds in an even swap. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Very timely post. My wife just pointed one out to me this morning: "That's what you need for your studio in the garage."

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
I'm not sure if this will work for you but trading her in for two twenty five's seems like a reasonable solution, depending on your age and her age, you might be young enough to get a couple of 18/19 year olds in an even swap. ;)
She is 25 haha.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
I used one of these D-Link PowerLine AV500 adapters a few years ago that runs on my household wiring. It worked well with my Roku 3.
I've recently upgraded my router and was surprised that I didn't need the Powerline adapter but paid quite a bit for the new router. $225.

·
Premium Member
11,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used one of these D-Link PowerLine AV500 adapters a few years ago that runs on my household wiring. It worked well with my Roku 3.
I've recently upgraded my router and was surprised that I didn't need the Powerline adapter but paid quite a bit for the new router. $225.
I have one from my old house that worked quite well, doesn't seem to in this house. Nor do o have much use for it, as my house has plenty of network ports. But that doesn't help with iPads, phones etc.

·
Registered
15,293 Posts
I'm 67+ and have found that a 19 year old. a 20 year old and a 31 year old are a fair deal. It helps tat all 3 know each other and all 3 figure I'd be better off single. So far the problem is becoming single. I'm not going to buy the wife out and she can't afford to buy me out. I've given up 3 houses, I'm not going to give up a 4th.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts