The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chances are someone said something political and some stoned snowflake took offense and reported it.
I think it's great that the political forum exists but I have no interest in participating there. My experience from many years of moderating first newsgroups and later web based forums is that political posts almost always devolve into I'm right, you're wrong. therefore you are an idiot. I'm very careful to keep my posts away from politics. The post in question was definitely not political. If someone made it political then shame on them and they deserve to get their post deleted but I don't deserve to lose access to my post.

P

·
0 Posts
Why delete the whole thread? Other sites I have been on will delete the text in the offending post but keep the post space and say something about it like "Settle down". But they don't delete the whole post and pages of comments...

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Why delete the whole thread? Other sites I have been on will delete the text in the offending post but keep the post space and say something about it like "Settle down". But they don't delete the whole post and pages of comments...

I’m getting that there is very little actual moderation, probably only peeking in when they get complaints. Probably corporate mods on many sites//users, and they’ll give it a quick look and take the path of least time resistance. Boom, move thread is 2 clicks, NEXT!

Or boom nuke thread, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,792 Posts
Kerry, I was likely a factor in the thread being moved to political.

I'm sorry but a couple of people simply couldn't help themselves and made offensive political comments. That's why we have a political forum, so those of us who prefer not to be drawn into ugly political arguments can enjoy the forum

I regret that your entire thread was a casualty.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kerry, I was likely a factor in the thread being moved to political.

I'm sorry but a couple of people simply couldn't help themselves and made offensive political comments. That's why we have a political forum, so those of us who prefer not to be drawn into ugly political arguments can enjoy the forum

I regret that your entire thread was a casualty.
Don’t worry about it. It is just the way of things on the Internet.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Kerry, my apologies as I was likely part of the discussion the mods had a problem with.

I responded to a comment by a poster musing about the possibility of the new law being rolled back if a certain political party returned to power. My response named that particular politicial leader and, of course, another poster made a comment about the current political leader....

In hindsight, I should have stated my thoughts differently. For that I apologize to everyone.

Had I been called out by a mod on my post I would have gladly edited or removed it. However, the decision to simply move the thread to a part of this Forum we both have no access to is a knee jerk and unreasonable action , in my opinion.

I long for a return to the time when we could have a conversation about issues without someone having to act so abruptly.

·
Premium Member
16,792 Posts
It's too slippery of a slope in my opinion.

Allow religious or political insults and things will quickly break down.

Make a comment about guns or Trump on TGP and see how quickly you'll get banned.

It's not necessary to inject those elements into our conversations and it inevitably leads to conflict.

Again, the OPs thread was innocent and was not the issue.

Deleting the offending posts would have been more than adequate.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
So if I don't like a thread, or the person who wrote it, I can have it moved to another forum by mentioning someone in politics? That's just assinine

Reactions: jb welder
L

·
0 Posts
How about giving the 'thread creator' admin powers to delete posts they find objectionable to the direction that their thread is going?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
How about giving the 'thread creator' admin powers to delete posts they find objectionable to the direction that their thread is going?

This is not a good idea. I started the thread. I'm not that upset. It wasn't even about guitars. It was a little heavy handed but moderating a forum is not easy. You're bound to upset people. Allowing the thread creator to delete posts could lead to chaos and mayhem. Personality clashes would become the norm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts