The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, of course I understand that passives are well loved. Hey, who doesn't like a great Tele/Les Paul/Strat? Or, as is more indicative of my current needs, a good P Bass/Jazz bass?

But lots of basses have onboard preamps, including most from big names like Warwick, Spector, most classic EMBB (Stingray), G&L (L-2000 and many others). Fender makes many.

So why do so few guitars have onboard pre, with it's (generalizing) more complex EQ and other potential benefits (ie. the Stingray growl)? Is it that their frequency band is generally narrower? Just old school thinking? Or what?

I know they exist, but off the top of my head I cannot think of a popular model active guitar.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I think this is basically correct.
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a long time),but if an onboard pre goes south I don't think there is a way to bypass.
If a pedal quits ,it just gets removed from the chain and the show goes on.
Given that, quite a few transparent boost pedals have come out in the last few years.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have an active bass and I never use it except for the rare case when i need more reference level in the middle of a song and I'm going di. I don't like how it sounds even though it's practically flat but it makes the amp saturated. Also I never got the reasoning behind boosting the level on the guitar/bass then plugging in the padded input of the amp.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I think this is basically correct.
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a long time),but if an onboard pre goes south I don't think there is a way to bypass.
If a pedal quits ,it just gets removed from the chain and the show goes on.
Plus the tone-shaping possibilities - either by tweaking a single pedal, stacking or swapping multiple pedals in & out of your rig.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I like the Godin 'HDF (Hi-Definition Revoicer) circuit that they put ins some guitars -- you get a signal whether the HDF is on/off, so no dead battery issues and you get 2x the tones from the switching.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Also, guitarists are not very bright folks to begin with, and would always forget to unplug the guitar cord thereby draining the 9v battery.
Being rather dullminded, the average guitarist will also not find it necessary to purchase a backup battery which would cut severely into the PBR budget.

I actually did just get rid of my EMG's in my bass. I don't play in a band very much, and don't like the idea of leaving a battery in my guitar when it will not be used on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Maybe a clean boost or active EQ would be useful, but many guitar players are traditionalists and can live with out it. I can get more than enough gain out of any of my amps without the extra boost. The KISS principle.

If it's an overdrive circuit, 98% of the buyers won't like it and will want a slightly different circuit. No matter which circuit you use, you'll be lucky to satisfy even 5%. It limits the guitar's market.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Any guitars with the EMG pickups tend to be active do they not? Thats their gig I believe.

I have wondered about this my self but not so much for tone control. I seen a rig rundown of a fellow who had a wireless transmitter installed into his guitar so he didn't have to wear a pack on his strap. I thought that was cool and have never seen anyone else do this.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasn't really thinking active pickups but rather active preamp, but sure I suppose - some basses have those, but probably even fewer than guitars have them, whereas bass pre's are relatively speaking common.

Ohh, wireless inside, interesting.

Yeah I get that about traditionalists, and value. Sorta why I opened the whole post stating passives are great on both sides of the guitar & bass worlds.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I'm a set and forget type of guy. I use my bridge pickup 99% of the time with knobs cranked to the max. If someone built a guitar with no knobs and a bridge pickup only, that would suit me well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts