The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they have said for years that rock is dying...no new guitar heros...

why do you think that is? is it changing tastes? is the genre just stale?

what made me think of it was guitar tabs...thinking about it, prior to tabs being SO available, musicians had to learn by ear...actually figure out how an artist was getting a sound...now...1.2s in googles hands and you can have it figured out...gone is the perfecting it, honing it, massaging into your own style...now, you learn it quick online or even youtube, use it once and move on

case in point...50 years after Cream people still want to know how to get the 'woman' tone...40 yrs after, people still trying to cop EVH, 30 years we have Slash...after that...it really, at least to me, seems to drop into who you like as there are no 'popular' guitar tones after that...or styles really...

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well, you might say that it's all be done before. For me there seems to be nothing new with rock the past few years. The younger crowd seem to gravitate towards rap and pop for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
I don't think it's dead, it just may be different.
If it is dead though we should blame Taylor Swift, she may have killed it.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Rock aint dead. Just go to Japan. Metal and Rock concerts every single night..........

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Rock n' Roll seems to be in good shape to me. Different from '68 for sure, but so is most everything else. The music industry... maybe the whole entertainment business... is having an identity crisis.

On the other topic, there are boatloads of current guitar heroes out there. If there wasn't I feel like you'd see less kids plunking on cheap guitars at music shops. The music (and musicianship) is going strong. In all fairness, I sometimes feel like it all sucks now but I'm old lol. I'm not paying much attention to the cutting edge anymore. I'm confident there's some fabulous players hitting their stride right now that'll blow away young music fans.

Just my 0.02$

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
To me the first shot across the bow was when Run DMC paired up with Aerosmith to re-do "Walk This Way" as a rap/rock hybrid back in the 80's. In the ensuing decades rap/hiphop and pop slowly took over as the primary musical influences of the teen through 30's demographic. Sure, rock may have stagnated at times but always found a way to re-invent itself as long as the kids were listening. That started to fade through the 90's with Grunge being the last mass-influential youth oriented rock variant. Post Grunge and Nu-Metal (which had a fair amount of hip hop influence) were like a mild after shock. Since then it appears that rock music has much less influence on the youth who have the most disposable income. The entertainment industry reacts to this and pumps and promotes what's working for them. Currently it's not rock for the most part.
I see rock currently on the same track as jazz before it. Jazz, once the prominent cultural soundtrack, faded from prominence when rock and roll took hold and is now relegated to a relatively small group of mostly older aficionados and fans. Rock appears to be on that same moving sidewalk. With both those genre's there will always be fans, even young ones but unless there's a major unprecedented cultural shift I fear we rock fans who grew up with it are in the "get off my lawn" crowd when it comes to pop culture and I can assure you the industries that feed and feed off of pop culture have no interest in what we think. The one saving grace of the internet age is that we who like our rock music can still find new groups creating great songs. Just don't expect them to fill stadiums.
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
What amazes me is go to any show with cover bands and fifty year old music is still being jammed like it was the latest, greatest.
Lots of walkers and canes too! ;)

Reactions: J-75

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hiphop overtook rock because rock tried to kill disco. If there wasn't the conservative backlash as was seen in 1970s, rock would still have been the medium for the rising voice for youth. Instead, we get dad rock. Eventually granddad rock. Punks tried to keep rock relevant, but everyone knew it was going to lead to old punks listening to dad rock or they gave up entirely and went new wave, trying to kill rock from there.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Like Jazz and Blues, it will not die. It will settle into its niche. Likely several niches. There a lot of variants and offshoots, from the original 50s R&R (Little Richard, Elvis, Bill Haley and the Rockets) to British Blues Rock to Classic Commercial Rock to Metal to Progressive Improvisation/Jam Band (Umphrey's McGee, Moe, Tedeschi-Trucks Band).....

Reactions: Scotty

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
it's not dead yet, but it's dying. baby boomers are disappearing. young folks don't listen to it like they used to because it's not marketed to them as it was to alot of us. go into any dept store. the loud music that prevents you from having a conversation isn't rock. stand on the corner and listen to what you hear people bumpin' in their cars. it's not rock. today's pop is far less expensive to create, so the industry, being an evil money grubbing whore, doesn't want to make rock anymore. sure there are lots of good rockers still out their doing their thing. but they're either a bunch of pussies like greenday or nickleback, or their playing covers in bars, not making jack. lots of folks are producing their own recordings. but the rockers who do it aren't selling any of it. the days of arena rock, and wild rock star antics are long gone. hey, we had a good run. when we're gone, it won't matter to us anyhow. it's the way things are supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
It's broadcast radio that's dead. Rock is fine. Rock might lack something to say right now, but as a genre -- it's here to stay.

For guitarists rock has been about the skill and the gear of the guitarists. Wrong?

For the listener it's always been about the content and the feel of the music. Right.

For Hendrix it was about "not creativity... but communication." Always a step ahead!​

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I think for most of us who grew up with and like rock music, it was not our parents music.
Kids are going to rebel, and if their parents listen to rock, the kids will likely find something else.
It will probably come back around, maybe from kids rebelling against their Swifty or Belieber parents. :D

·
Premium Member
16,655 Posts
If you turn on your TV to any music awards show etc, there's still going to be some superstar playing a guitar during the night.

It's not dead, it's just not the same. The whole industry isn't the same. There's a lot of people trying to figure out how to go viral, and others trying to figure out what to market to actually make enough money to quit a 9-5 or two. It's moving and there's guesswork on where it will end up.

We have spotify, itunes, tidal, youtube, bandcamp, soundcloud, and just like 20 years ago it's not so much the bands making the bucks.

If you want to keep rock alive, go catch a local show.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
People need to hear a piece of music several times before they like it. How do you hear new music? Use to be the radio. Not anymore. Now the radio waves are crammed full of stale 80's tunes, tepid mass produced country, and formulaic pop and All markets are over saturated with CAN-CON (fuck you Red Rider!). Ya I said it. Good music will die on the vine without live music being supported. Go see a new band and support them. Brian Adams and Tom Cochran have taken enough of our money.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts