The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not especially interested in the NFL. But yesterday, I was looking at the Washington Post site, and when I saw that the New Orleans Saints were leading the Philly Eagles 20-14 at half time, I thought "Boy that looks like a bit of an upset. Didn't the Eagles win the Superbowl last year?". So as my wife and I were sitting down to watch a bit of TV, I said "I'll just put it to this football game for a moment, to see what the score is. I'm curious."

The score was unchanged from what I had read and there were just under 2 minutes left. In the CFL, that's a LOT of time. What I saw was that the Saints used up virtually all of the 40 seconds technically available to them between plays, and the clock kept running, even though the ball hadn't been snapped. What would have been perhaps the most exciting part of the game on this side of the border, was basically a dead-weight time-waster. Moreover, with 4 downs, Nola spent the first two on pointless running plays. Were this the CFL, they would have to gamble and secure some 1st downs quickly. Even with 45 seconds left, we've seen CFL games go the other way.

That's why I prefer the CFL over the NFL. I don't even care what happened in the preceding 58 minutes. If you're not going to provide an opportunity to thrill me for all 60, I'm not interested. Yes, yes, I know there are plenty of CFL games where the coaching strategy is to eat up the clock. But that still requires the other team to defend, since there are plenty of plays that can be stuffed into the last 3 minutes.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
CFL is a better game. If the players were as skilled it would be the better league.

I cannot stand the NFL anymore. Most of the game is watching refs watch replays to interpret bizarre and vague rules. Then 4 minutes of commercials, repeat.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Couldn't agree more. The slow plodding pace of NFL games bores me. I can't watch for more than a few minutes before falling asleep.
If that were CFL, that few minutes could end up game changing. Blink and you could miss something.
I'm not sure more skilled is quite right. Looking at the two games, the skill set is slightly different for a lot of players on both sides of the ball. Linebackers for example are smaller , and faster in the CFL, more like a safety or defensive back. In the NFL they're more like lineman. Same for running backs.
One other thing that bugs me about the NFL - The fair catch rule on punts - boring as hell.

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couldn't agree more. The slow plodding pace of NFL games bores me. I can't watch for more than a few minutes before falling asleep.
If that were CFL, that few minutes could end up game changing. Blink and you could miss something.
Yep. My sentiments exactly.

I'm not sure more skilled is quite right. Looking at the two games, the skill set is slightly different for a lot of players on both sides of the ball. Linebackers for example are smaller , and faster in the CFL, more like a safety or defensive back. In the NFL they're more like lineman. Same for running backs.
I tend to hear this as an expression of surprise from Americans who catch a few minutes of CFL. I hasten to remind them that with a field that is both longer and wider (as well as having deeper end-zones), with an additional potential receiver to cover, dragging around an extra 30lbs is no picnic.

One other thing that bugs me about the NFL - The fair catch rule on punts - boring as hell.
And how could Sobey's/Safeway give away big cash prizes if the odds of two kick returns being turned into touchdowns was next to zero?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Sure the difference in the field's dimensions and rules lead to different requirements for some positions, but overall the the NFL players are simply 'better' than their CFL counterparts. With all due respect to CFL players, how many guys get cut from the CFL and go to the NFL to find work waiting for them?

I still think the CFL is the better game but it would be incredible if the players were top tier. I find everything about the NFL unpalatable and that includes the consumerist bombast called the Superbowl.

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure the difference in the field's dimensions and rules lead to different requirements for some positions, but overall the the NFL players are simply 'better' than their CFL counterparts. With all due respect to CFL players, how many guys get cut from the CFL and go to the NFL to find work waiting for them?

I still think the CFL is the better game but it would be incredible if the players were top tier. I find everything about the NFL unpalatable and that includes the consumerist bombast called the Superbowl.
In a number of instances, I think they fail to make the NFL because they're too light or short. That said, the NFL didn't have a problem with Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, or Tobin Rote. QBs and pass receivers have fewer height/weight requirements imposed on them, than linemen or defensive backfield, so they transfer across leagues more easily.

I can only hope that a Maritime team is realized within my lifetime.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
In a number of instances, I think they fail to make the NFL because they're too light or short. That said, the NFL didn't have a problem with Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, or Tobin Rote. QBs and pass receivers have fewer height/weight requirements imposed on them, than linemen or defensive backfield, so they transfer across leagues more easily.

I can only hope that a Maritime team is realized within my lifetime.
I feel like I am dissing a league I actually prefer LOL, but although there are isolated cases like the ones you listed (although Moon was never drafted and Flutie and Rote played themselves out of the NFL before heading north), the most common example is a guy who cannot make an NFL team and 'has to' play in the CFL.

I know everyone wants to take pride in our own league, but let's not stretch things too much. If they were just as skilled they would find an NFL position more similar to the one they play in the CFL (shift positions slightly to play to their strengths).

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
Whether the players are better in one league or the others--the rules int he CFL usually make for a more exciting game--shorter time clock--so harder to run out the clock; one less down-so more urgency; etc, etc etc.

Still here are some cool plays & good games in the NFL--but I also prefer the CFL

Still it is possible to like both--but hey like whichever one you like or both.

And ow about that last Grey Cup?
Should have been a better game with a better field--btu then, that is part of the Grey Cup Lore.

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brad plays guitar? One more reason to like him. What, pray tell, was he slinging that you bought from him?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts