The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whether they like a given piece of music or not is soley based on who else likes that music and whether they think those people are cool or not.

I approach every new song as if I had never heard of the artist in question. Like a friend had handed me a CD and told me someone they know had recorded it in their basement.

I don't care who a song is by. A good song is a good song. I like Metallica, Jack Johnson, Justin Timberlake, The Chainsmokers, Drake, Led Zeppelin. Doesn't matter to me. A good song is a good song.

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
Music snobs are just the anti-contemporary music listener, who the media tells what is good and should be listening to.. Meaning, many ppl will like a song simply based on who made it....if it were made by a "nobody " , they wouldn't give it a second listen.

Case in point, all this summer my family torutured my ears on a daily basis with Despacito by "Justin Beiber" (quotes because he has such a tiny part in that song but gets full credit). It sounds like every fucking song ive ever heard in taxis while vacationing in the Caribbean for decades, that never get played even once on a radio up here. but it got unreal airplay because of the Beiber connection. Sheeple.

Reactions: bolero

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Snobbery can come from different areas: genre, artist, time period and even sub-genres

Wynton Marsalis famously snobbed Miles Davis' later music because he felt it wasn't "real jazz", which is the most absurd example of snobbery I can think of

A lot of famous local chefs have stated their love of poutine and some other "fast foods"
I think that's a great analogy, showing that there's still something enjoyable in "lower" grade food, or music

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
So "music snobs" like whatever is popular?

I though that was the opposite of a music snob.

Maybe I don't know what a "music snob" is.
Yeah, I think what Diablo described is just the common music idiot

Music snob is someone who will snob (duh) "inferior" (perceived as inferior by him) genres, sub-genres, artists or music from certain times

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,255 Posts
Whether they like a given piece of music or not is soley based on who else likes that music and whether they think those people are cool or not.

I approach every new song as if I had never heard of the artist in question. Like a friend had handed me a CD and told me someone they know had recorded it in their basement.

I don't care who a song is by. A good song is a good song. I like Metallica, Jack Johnson, Justin Timberlake, The Chainsmokers, Drake, Led Zeppelin. Doesn't matter to me. A good song is a good song.
You had me with you right up until you said Drake ;)

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,255 Posts
I assumed Drake was just a crappy rapper or something similar, I was unaware he also "SUCKED ASS" I gotta tell yah I'm learning new and wonderful things here on GC every day. :)
I don't have a hate on for Drake, I personally don't think rap is music. I'm old school and like to listen to people sing and play instruments :)

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,255 Posts
Well I most definitely disagree
I love hip hop / rap, and the more you educate yourself in the artform, the more you get to appreciate it

And I dislike Drake's music because I'm a hip hop enthusiast
I've educated myself on plenty of things I don't like.... personal preferences make the world less boring.... if everyone like the same shit I'd have nobody to argue with :)

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,255 Posts
Well saying you don't enjoy it because of personal preferences is one thing
Saying it's not even music, well that's one form of snobbery
Sure, f you wanna use that term...I prefer to just conclude that you're trolling and trying to feed stoke the fire. You should take a few lessons from steadfastly though. He's better at it than you are ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.