The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to why others get GAS for specific guitars.

For me, the appearance is very important (my guitar teacher warned ne about falling for this....and then admitted that it was exactly what attracted him to the guitar he bought)

Colour is very important to me. I'm not sure why.

I don't care all that much about what guitars my favourite guitarist play(ed). Some of them play several styles anyways...some stay with more or less one style.

Sometimes I can't imagine how I would "look" with a certain style (that could be an age thing).

Comfort is important, both the comfort of the body shape and the neck profile/size. Some guitarists seem to be able to adapt to any neck.

Price...I can't see myself EVER paying more than $1000.00 (new or used) for a guitar. That limits my choices for sure.
That might change..but I doubt it.

Maybe I limit my thinking too much with regards to which guitars are "better" suited to specific types of music. I'll admit that this can be a big mistake....maybe not always, but often.

Brand names....not a big deal for me (Heck...I own a Greco...so that is proof enough)

Electronics don't bother me...they can be changed with relative ease.

Fingerboard and body woods....I'm sure that they influence tone, but I have never made a choice based mainly on what woods the guitar was made from. I admit that flame tops, etc can certainly look nice, but I would never look for/at it as a deciding factor.

Gold coloured hardware does nothing for me. The colour has always worn off on guitars that I have bought that came with gold coloured hardware. Frustrating !!

Overall weight....heavy guitars are tiring to play. Even if I liked the guitar, excess weight could be a deciding factor in not buying it.

Resonance...a HUGE factor for me.

So...what are your thoughts/comments?

I expect that many will disagree, just curious about your reasoning.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
749 Posts
I flip flop like mad. One day its a tobacco burst Les Paul, the next it's a Freeway Classic Godin. Jackson to Ibanez. Strats to ESP's. All over the map.

Drool

I think my problem is that I would like one of everything. I have the Strats, but would love a humbucking guitar. A Carvin Carved Top would suit me fine. A nice string thru. A Floyd Rose would be fun, too. So many choices, so little funds, lol.

Don't get me going on amps.....:smile:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The nature of GAS for me is its changeability. I like serious variety. I'm not interested in having five Les Pauls of varying colours and vintages - I'd rather have five distinctly different guitars from several different eras and countries... from famous brands to weird and obscure oddities that are still full of character (while remaining in good shape and very playable, of course).

GAS gets different people in different ways, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
- basswood or mahogany body
- unfinished maple neck with a rosewood fretboard
- jumbo frets
- floating tremolo or low-angled fixed bridge (I don't know the technical term, so look at this)
- 2 humbuckers, high output pickups are a bonus
- brand name can't be Fender, BC Rich or ESP, LOL
- shape doesn't make a huge difference as long as it's not pointy
- finish and inlays... I couldn't care less, as long as it sounds good I don't care... it could be fluorescent pink and I'd still play it proudly

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Correct, its different for everyone. My GAS has lead me to basically own over 50 guitars that are basicly the same guitar. They may look a little different, have a different name, but theyre all the same in the end. I used to be a variety guy, but I got to the point where I knew exactly what I wanted and thats what I buy. Before I knew that, I had to try everything. I think GAS is worst when you are in the variety stage because so much is unknown and you feel you need to try everything out there.............

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
So finally there's no cure? IM like ThePass, I'm jumping around like a kid in a candy store. I want to own every kind of guitare for their looking, their tone, everything. Maybe I'll find the Holy Grail, I hope 'cause I'm a poor student! :p

·
Registered
187 Posts
We get GAS for something because we don't have it....we always want what we don't have. If you don't have something...then you are missing out...and who wants to be left out ?
The REAL nature of GAS....is your mood. Your mood changes...so does your lust for gear. There is no cure for GAS...there is no end to tone chasing...
One day you hear a cool country lick and then you "gotta have" a tele and a Fender amp...and a compressor. Then later you hear some old school rock and "need" a Les Paul and a Marshall and a TubeScreamer etc. etc. etc. etc. Then you hear some NuMetal....and you gotta get a BC Rich and a Krankenstien and spikes coming out of your armband and big boots...you gotta "look" like you mean business right ? *LOL*
Truth of the matter.......despite the industry and peer pressure to consume and buy stuff....is just learn to use what you have FIRST....make the best of it.
Learn to play something new is wayyyyy more valuable than buying something new. You can still rock out on a tele and play country with a Les Paul.
Good gear just makes playing easier and less fatiguing. All you need is a good guitar that's comfortable and easy to play that you like to play....an amp that suits your needs and maybe a few pedals for some colour....and learn to bend them to your will !!

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These posts are great !!....keep them coming.

I actuallly think they are helping to relieve my GAS
:food-smiley-004:

Dave

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think GAS is worst when you are in the variety stage because so much is unknown and you feel you need to try everything out there.............
I disagree... GAS is not something solely dependent on people jonesing on variety for its own sake, it's dependent on someone jonesing, period. In its essence, GAS is about wanting more than you need and not caring that you probably already have more than you need. Craving variety may be a symptom of GAS, but it sure ain't the cause.

GAS is good, fun stuff, but in a way it's pure materialism - it's for those who can afford the luxury of pursuing a passion. Not all of us can share in that exalted state.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Warning: egg-heady philosophizing ahead: :smile:

GAS is good, fun stuff, but in a way it's pure materialism - it's for those who can afford the luxury of pursuing a passion. Not all of us can share in that exalted
state.
Materialism? ... perhaps, but at least it is applied to art. There are far, far worse ways to spend our economic surpluses: weapons, dangerous drugs, etc.

And the fact that not all can have the luxury to invest in art does not make investing in art a bad thing -- it means we need to do more to ensure that the economy produces enough to allow larger portions of society to also have surplus wealth to funnel into their interests -- hopefully including the arts? I view people paying for art as an improvement over what they usually spend their money on: SUVs, booze ... pick your poison.

Actually, now that I think of it, are we truly guilty of "materialism" to invest in art? Are our aesthetic values merely "material", as opposed to "intellectual" or "artistic" or even "spiritual"? I think there is more to music than just material stuff, because music is about the meaning -- ie something immaterial -- we create with sound.

Perhaps it is materialist to suggest that we should not invest in the arts until the day comes when absolutely everybody can afford to do it -- doesn't this view undervalue the cultural and artistic realm?

Anyway, I think it is a good thing that we have irrational impulses to spend time & money on art.

And I guess that makes me an unrepentant GASbag, in more ways than one :smile:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
LOL - don't get me wrong - I'm a fellow artist myself - a painter and illustrator from a long way back... and I am indeed rather passionate about my own burgeoning guitar collection. I just tend to reflect, from time to time anyway, on my good fortune... that I can afford this particular pursuit, that I have the disposable income to continue with it. That's all. I know some individuals in my own life who don't have the same liberties, and that makes me feel like I shouldn't take what I do have for granted.

At the same time, if all I had was one measly broken-down guitar, I figure I'd still be playing the hell out of it. When all is said and done, you don't need a whole lot in order to create things.

And that's my own egg-headed philosophical response!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know some individuals in my own life who don't have the same liberties, and that makes me feel like I shouldn't take what I do have for granted.
True, we are indeed fortunate.

Anyway, I was just having fun justifying my own irrational GASing :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have not. I am afraid to. Might, you know, pull me in deeper.

(;->))

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the interesting posts.

The thread was an enjoyable, philosophical, psychological, and moral experience. It took a different "turn" from what I expected...but that is OK

I learned a lot about the causes and symptoms of GAS as experienced by others. Really!!

Good luck to all in the control and relieving of his/her GAS

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
When I gas for a guitar it's pretty much always for practical reasons.

I'm not really drawn to shiny pretty guitars. If I don't think I'll realistically use an instrument for stage or studio I generally don't bother.

To me, they're tools. That sounds a bit cold, but it's reality.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts