The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,822 Posts
What gives?
Lol. Good question.

Fun fact, I'm related to the guy who wrote the Turtles jingle, "Mmmm, I love Turtles." He was a very accomplished jazz pianist and session player. Life long musician. Sadly, he passed away about 20 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I used to work at the Laura Secord plant where they were made.
Turtles tasted best when plucking them off the line while the caramel was still warm.

Nestle's bought them out and everything went cost cutting.
Less nuts = no feet.
Nothing like true "inside information."

There's the answer to the OP's question.

We are not just guitar gods, we know everything!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Speaking of Turtles, we had a pet painted turtle once upon a time. (Think this was against a protected species act but don't tell anyone). My father-in-law was out playing nine holes when the turtle dropped from the sky and landed nearby his ball (usually close to a water hazard). He assumed a predatory bird had picked the little fella up and was happily (for the bird not the reptile) on the way back to the nest when it lost its hold. Inadequate beak pressure apparently which was just the opposite of my f-in-laws golf grip. Anyway he was drinking a coffee (Pops, not the turtle, it was too young), so he dumped the rest, put the turtle in the cup and proceeded to hit the ball and carry the turtle until he finished his round. Then he packed up the clubs, brought the turtle home and gave it to my son for a pet.
Well we called it Squirtle, a Pokemon reference of course, and set it up in an old aquarium. It would bask everyday under the warming light and eat and eventually get the water smelling to the point every few weeks where my wife proceeded to change it or gag from the smell. It knew its name I swear, because when you talked to it, it looked at you with a gaze that seemed as though it knew how to solve all the world's problems. ( We thought of installing a hotline but didn't want to catch s*** for keeping a wild turtle captive.) If you have been fortunate enough to have seen turtles basking on a pond log in the sun while you are on a spring time walk, you will know exactly what I mean.
Well after many long happy years, eventually the poor reptile caught a fungal infection we just couldn't cure despite the best turtle medical interventions the Internet could offer. Since it was winter, Squirtle was eulogized and placed in a plastic bag in the freezer for proper dispensation in the spring. Problem was...we forgot.
Fast forward to our current downsizing and impending move. Of course a freezer clean out was in order...but the damndest thing...when we did the purge there was no Squirtle. Do frozen turtles evaporate? I recall no odd tasting delight my wife concocted. Now this would be the perfect place to drop a helluva punchline but I'm sorry to say, I don't have one. Perhaps you do. All I can say regarding the thread is I used to enjoy a chewy Turtle but not so much anymore. Even the fancy flavoured ones. Thanks for letting me share.

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speaking of Turtles, we had a pet painted turtle once upon a time. (Think this was against a protected species act but don't tell anyone). My father-in-law was out playing nine holes when the turtle dropped from the sky and landed nearby his ball (usually close to a water hazard). He assumed a predatory bird had picked the little fella up and was happily (for the bird not the reptile) on the way back to the nest when it lost its hold. Inadequate beak pressure apparently which was just the opposite of my f-in-laws golf grip. Anyway he was drinking a coffee (Pops, not the turtle, it was too young), so he dumped the rest, put the turtle in the cup and proceeded to hit the ball and carry the turtle until he finished his round. Then he packed up the clubs, brought the turtle home and gave it to my son for a pet.
Well we called it Squirtle, a Pokemon reference of course, and set it up in an old aquarium. It would bask everyday under the warming light and eat and eventually get the water smelling to the point every few weeks where my wife proceeded to change it or gag from the smell. It knew its name I swear, because when you talked to it, it looked at you with a gaze that seemed as though it knew how to solve all the world's problems. ( We though of installing a hotline but didn't want to catch s*** for keeping a wild turtle captive.) If you have been fortunate enough to have seen turtles basking on a pond log in the sun while you are on a spring time walk, you will know exactly what I mean.
Well after many long happy years, eventually the poor reptile caught a fungal infection we just couldn't cure despite the best turtle medical interventions the Internet could offer. Since it was winter, Squirtle was eulogized and placed in a plastic bag in the freezer for proper dispensation in the spring. Problem was...we forgot.
Fast forward to our current downsizing and impending move. Of course a freezer clean out was in order...but the damndest thing...when we did the purge there was no Squirtle. Do frozen turtles evaporate? I recall no odd tasting delight my wife concocted. Now this would be the perfect place to drop a helluva punchline but I'm sorry to say, I don't have one. Perhaps you do. All I can say regarding the thread is I used to enjoy a chewy Turtle but not so much anymore. Even the fancy flavoured ones. Thanks for letting me share.
Maybe Fred Penner is reading this as I type and will write a song called 'The Turtle Came Back,' as a sequel to the Cat Came Back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts