The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove down to the Edmonton South L&M this morning to pickup some strings. Of course I went into the acoustic room. I tried 4 Taylor XX4ce models (and another 322e 12 fret). The 414ce, 524ce, 614ce and 714ce. Also a similar spec'd and priced Martin Grand Performance model.

Now I have an idea (sort of) what the Taylor sound and Martin sounds are. It's like having a great Tele and a great Strat. Both sound wonderful, but you just have personal preference for one over the other (In this case, I'm a Strat guy) I'm drawn do the sound of the Taylor, particularly the mahogany topped ones. The 524ce was glorious. My second choice was the 714ce cedar top and Koa back/sides, with the Martin GP a hair behind. All sounded very good, despite the noticeable wood differences. I surprised myself at being able to hear the difference between woods. But there is just something about a mahogany topped guitar that stands out so far to my ear. I even heard the difference in some YouTube Vids (I have a decent set of powered digital monitors)

The 524ce costs $1100 more than the 322e. I walked out with two sets of strings.

Reactions: Lincoln

·
Registered
917 Posts
I walked out with two sets of strings.
Now you have a set of strings for that moment you bring both home!

Not to derail this thread, but right now is a terrible time for new guitar prices. Today, the 400 series Taylors are listed for about the same amount the 800 series were at 4 years ago.

Robert - perhaps you could find what you like in the used market. Taylors and Martin's are typically well cared for.

Btw.....in 1994 I played a $5000.00 Larrivee at a little acoustic shop in Spokane Washington. I walked out of there thinking I would never play electric again. I think the price/value for acoustics is much more justifiable than electrics. But it's still a bad time to be buying new.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Now you have a set of strings for that moment you bring both home!

Not to derail this thread, but right now is a terrible time for new guitar prices. Today, the 400 series Taylors are listed for about the same amount the 800 series were at 4 years ago.

Robert - perhaps you could find what you like in the used market. Taylors and Martin's are typically well cared for.

Btw.....in 1994 I played a $5000.00 Larrivee at a little acoustic shop in Spokane Washington. I walked out of there thinking I would never play electric again. I think the price/value for acoustics is much more justifiable than electrics. But it's still a bad time to be buying new.
In 2014 I picked up a brand new condition 2013 Taylor 414ce for $1200, now its $2999+tax.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Life is what you make it.
But it ain't what it seems.
You will never live at all.
Unless you try to live your dreams.

Go get what it is yer after.
And leave the rest behind.
Then you'll never know the sorrow.
Of regret for losin time.

Yesterday is gone.
And tomorrow never comes.

So quit fuckin around and go by the guitar if that's what y'all want...lol

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
We don't know why you keep torturing yourself but we also wonder why you keep "stringing" us along.:)

Reactions: greco and StratCat

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I got my 414ce for less than 2k only a few years ago. Used prices now are higher than what I paid.

Reactions: GWN!

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I keep playing the (I think it's a) 322e at my local L&M. But at the price, I'm not that interested. As others have said, I remember when Taylors were pretty good bang for the buck, compared to 'The Big Two'. Not so much anymore. I suspect partially because of the Canuck Buck, but also because their reputation has increased a lot in the last decade. I think I heard recently that Taylor sells more acoustics than anyone else now.

I fondly recall that brief period in time when our buck was $1.10. I should have got a second mortgage and bought that Kingsley amp I want, that Taylor that I want, that Ceriatone that I want, etc. But now, with the future not looking good for sales / resales down the road, I realize it's just unnecessary gas and it will pass. I remain quite happy with my currently arsenal.

But I still like playing that damn 322e.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Given that Cdn$$$ is only worth around 68% against the US$$$ compared to 3 to 4 years ago, it is not surprising how much the price of Taylors (and most other guitars) have jumped. Ibanez price increases are even worse.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I think he is set on the mahogany top though.

If that had the cutout...

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I gave up my torture today and went and got a new guitar, tired of waiting for one to come up on this site or kijiji. First time I bought a new guitar in 10 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts