The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and bought a MXR 10 band EQ today. But really it's like I went and bought a new amp and pickups!!!!! I can't belive the difference it makes in my sound. Just lovin my tone now!!! I just finished playing for the past 3 hours with it. It took me a bit to find the exact sound I wanted(might tweak some more still) but when I did I didn't want to stop playing. :rockon2:

So anyways, this pedal rules. If anyone is ever thinking about getting a EQ, don't think just buy it!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tonight I was playing through my "home" setup. Which just means my small traynor amp instead of my Randall(the randall is to loud for the apt.) But anyways, Les Paul Studio into Digitech Bad Monkey OD, Onerr Mercury distortion(sweet pedal), EQ then the 30watt Traynor. My board also has a chorus, tremolo and wah but I didn't use them tonight. I eventually put on headphones(good ones). I can't wait to try it on the Randall. But that probably wont be till Monday.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Can someone explain to me what this will do for your tone that the amps EQ can't do? I can understand that you might want to change the EQ curve when stomping on a distortion pedal, but outside of that is there any other benefit?

·
Registered
561 Posts
You're changing the way the guitar hits the first tube which can really change things tone and sustain wise (even clean).

Andy

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Basically the tone controls on your guitar are pretty limited. In a lot of cases unless you have really good electronics and pickups installed, all the tone knob will really do is make the sound more muddy. EQ's and compressers can do a lot to fix that situation. Not to mention, an EQ can be way more fine tuned than an amps EQ can.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 10-band as well, and it is an essential part of my setup now. I love the tone I can coax from my rig, and I thought it sounded great before!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts