The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fascinating piece of research reported on in the NY Times regarding the "reading" of faces, and the tendency to infer hostility when there is none intended. Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Always Angry With You

I recall a program of research I was reading about some years back, looking at the ability to read emotions in others. What the author noted was that households where emotions are expressed broadly (big smiles, deep frowns, overt sobbing, etc.) present an easy environment for young children to associate facial expression with specific emotions. Such contexts allow kids to learn to read emotions easily and quickly. In contrast, households where emotions are expressed is subtler and more restrained form pose a tougher challenge in terms of learning to able to read emotions, such that such skill emerged later in such kids. HOWEVER, those kids who had the easy route were disadvantaged at reading subtler cues, while the kids forced to adapt to subtle emotional expression were more adept at reading faces that were not quite as overt or expressive. Of course, which of those two scenarios is somehow "better" for the developing child is a whole other affair.

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
Seems reasonable.

I used to be told that I often looked unhappy or angry when I really wasn't unhappy at all. Virtually every time I was concentrating on multiple tasks, which is how my brain works, it can't do otherwise.

·
Premium Member
28,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a body of research examining facial expression in later life. Partly a function of what wrinkles and jowls do to one's facial expression, partly a function of how couples come to "mirror" each other after years of marriage, and partly a function of basic energy level, faces tend to be a bit less expressive than in youth, and tend to get misinterpreted by younger people.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Common comment around our home. I have it...lol.
Ah, tbh, I get it from everyone too. My wife says I look angry as hell. The interesting thing is that her childhood was filled with adult violence. Shit, the first day I went to her house (actually the second time), her dad just got his teeth knocked out by his brother-in-law.

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
I find in general, Canadians frown a lot. You smile at someone on the street and they scowl back.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
There is a body of research examining facial expression in later life. Partly a function of what wrinkles and jowls do to one's facial expression,
I seem to recall a recent study about happy or unhappy resting faces being somewhat dependent on (and signalling) economic status?

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Seems reasonable.

I used to be told that I often looked unhappy or angry when I really wasn't unhappy at all. Virtually every time I was concentrating on multiple tasks, which is how my brain works, it can't do otherwise.
I'm glad to hear that i am not the only one that does this. My wife tells me to smile on stage but i find it hard to concentrate and smile. Its not a natural thing for me.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I blame my countenance on the disappearance of my hair...otherwise I'd be happy as heck! My internal disposition rarely matches my outward appearance however.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
When I concentrate on something I have "resting bitch face" says my wife, which I'm good with because people usually don't bug me when I am concentrating on things much. If I get bugged while in the middle of something that requires my attention my resting bitch face turns into a "what the fuck do you want" face, and sometimes my eyes roll so hard I can hear them.....lol.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I'm glad to hear that i am not the only one that does this. My wife tells me to smile on stage but i find it hard to concentrate and smile. Its not a natural thing for me.
LOL

Same here. I call it my Metal Face. You couldn't play metal in the 80's without a scowl. Now I find it hard or unnatural to smile on stage, but my g/f often gives me a little reminder. And I have a sticker on my pedalboards as another reminder: "I get to do this." Just to remember it is fun.

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
LOL

Same here. I call it my Metal Face. You couldn't play metal in the 80's without a scowl. Now I find it hard or unnatural to smile on stage, but my g/f often gives me a little reminder. And I have a sticker on my pedalboards as another reminder: "I get to do this." Just to remember it is fun.
Thats a great idea about the sticker. Gonna do the same. Heres a pic of my best happy face on stage. LOL

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.