The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know who out there have had pots and switches changed, modifed, whatever and how it affected their sound. Could be anything - RS Guitarworks, altered wiring, added caps, removed wahtever.

I've notice that when I lower the volume below 7, the tone thins out. - like there was some bass and mid roll off. I have a semi-hollow body with two HBs and the standard 2V 2T and 3 way switch.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
for the volume thing install a 1000pF capacitor across the two leads on the volume pot. Reduces the tone loss.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I replaced the pots on both my SX's. They come with cheap 500K pots and I replaced them with CTS 250K pots and a .047 capacitor. Really brought the volume and tone back to life. The stock electronics really suck the life out of the guitars.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I don't think I have a guitar that I haven't upgraded the pots and caps in. I also have a small resister and cap combo across most of my volume pots to help the highs from rolling off when bringing the volume back. Don't ask the values I can't remember anymore, I took advice from the Les Paul forum based on what works for single coils and humbuckers.

The only pots I left alone are in my R4, just because Gibson finally started using real CTS pots.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I am having the RS Historic Complete Electronics kit being installed in my Agile AS820 (335 clone) as we speak.

I'll give you a report when it gets back in my hands . . .

TG

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
i like pot.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Robert1950, I'd suggest, as others mentioned above, you pick up 4 500K CTS pots, audio taper, and try the 50's wiring schematic you can find at the Les Paul Forum.
I'm pretty sure Guitar Parts Canada has the pots if you can't find them locally.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I swapped out the pots and caps on my LesPaul for an RS-Guitarworks prewired kit. Huge improvement. I used thier "Super" pots and you can tell just by turning themthat these are quality components. Now my tone and volume controls work all the way through the cycle - from 0 to 10 you can hear the difference.

I just got an email while I was replying to this post - RS Guitar works is having a sale on thier "Super Pots" - coincidence??? :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I swapped out the pots and caps on my LesPaul Classic for an RS-Guitarworks (super) kit. Just looking at the kit you can see that the swap has to be an improvement. Substantial.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I bought the complete kit for my PRS which I got charged GST on, but not on the complete kit I got for my Les Paul...go figure!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You shouldn't pay duty from RS, just GST/PST. Make sure they send it through the mail, otherwise you could get hit with a high brokerage fee.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff Flowerday said:
Postal service has a very small brokerage fee in most cases for items under $500. I think it's $7 now. Of course GST/(PST) on top of that.Jeff
Geez! it was $5 the last time I did it. Poo!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had an RS Superkit installed in my Carvin CT3 for about a week now, and it opened everything up, sound-wise. The old volume pot measured 432K, not bad for general prduction type parts (target is 500K for humbuckers). The RS volume pot measured 532K, if I remember right.

The guitar tech who did the install (Eric at the Arts - thanks Eric) was teasing me about "removing blankets".

It won't make a guitar take on a different character (presumably a good thing), but definitely improves what's there, especially if you have good pickups.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Great timing. I am just about to get the pots on my PRS Soapbar replaced. With the info I got in here, I decided to order the pots and switch from RS Guitarworks.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
644 Posts
SCREEM said:
did you guys pay any duty fees on your RS orders?
Anything that comes from a vender through the mail will be subject to duty and tax. It will however only be a few dollars. If you have them send it by courier you will pay a lot more in brokerage fees as well as the tax & duty. The good news is that in 6 months you won't even remember that you had to pay an extra $15 00 and believe me you will be happy with RS products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts