The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I suffer from P2...

Hi, my name is lolligagger and I'm a pinky planter...its a disease. Actually a buddy of mine who happens to be a guitar instructor came over the other night and poo-pooed the way I was holding my pick, and the use of my pinky as a reference point. Apparently, in his view its a crutch.

I have spent the past four days practicing without the planting the proverbial pinky, and holding my pick "properly" and it has been frustrating. My timing is off, missing the strings, lack of control for volume...a real train wreck. Last night was a little better, so hopefully this is a sign of better things to come.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm not.

ps. why do our replies have to be 10 characters long?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I never paid much attention to this before. For somethings I plant the pinky and ring finger. chording and such my hand is free. I don't see why this is a problem. If it gives you more pick control, why not? Actually I'd like to hear any other methods of pick control used by others.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Gilliangirl said:
I'm a pinky planter and I hate myself for it.
Hah! Er...I mean, I feel your pain and your shame. Let it out sister...

washburned said:
So what's more important, style or technique? If people like what you play the way you play it, who cares?
I agree with you 100 percent. So many great players do their own thing very well, often times with spectacular results. I am going down this route of learning to hold my pick "properly" and removing the pinky plant in the interest of self improvement.

Ripper said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the proper hold for a pick? I have to admit I'm a pinky planter.
Here is a close representation of what I am attempting to switch to in terms of holding a pick. The funny thing is that this is Lesson 1, apparently.

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200g.htm

It may be a little too soon to tell, but speed seems to come more easily...I'm just not very controlled yet. I practice with a metronome, so I should figure out whether or not this is working for me soon enough.

·
Registered
255 Posts
can't say I'm much of one..although I can see it have its merits now and then.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just give the unplanted pinky a try and it's clunky alright but there is a feel to it that is correct. As I said I wasn't even aware I was doing it, or knew this was incorrect.
Thanks for bringing this up. Now about my hanging thumb. That's never going away.

·
Registered
306 Posts
MaxWedge said:
Thanks for bringing this up. Now about my hanging thumb. That's never going away.
I didn't even want to go there just yet...its the other part of the equation in my guitar playing that equals a train wreck. Apparently, I'm supposed to believe that left hand activity doesn't require an incredible amount of strength, and that my speed and dexterity would improve if only I would release the death grip from around the neck of my guitar. :wink:

·
Registered
788 Posts
no PP here, I started out as a teen playing mostly metallica and slayer stuff wich require lots of palm muting with fast alternate picking, so the bridge was my anchor.
The funny thing is that metallica was doing the PP thing and I tried but couldn't get the hang of it...slowed me down too much

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SCREEM said:
no PP here, I started out as a teen playing mostly metallica and slayer stuff wich require lots of palm muting with fast alternate picking, so the bridge was my anchor.
The funny thing is that metallica was doing the PP thing and I tried but couldn't get the hang of it...slowed me down too much
Kirt pinky plants? Hmm, funny Satch allowed that.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
It depends on what I'm playing.

When I'm playing rhythm I generally don't plant my pinky, but often do when playing lead.

I also use a hybrid technique (pick + three fingers) a lot so I suppose my pinky can't really be anchored for that.

I really don't see the drawback, at least for what I play.

·
Registered
698 Posts
lolligagger said:
Here is a close representation of what I am attempting to switch to in terms of holding a pick. The funny thing is that this is Lesson 1, apparently.

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200g.htm
Hmmm... Someone should have told my old guitar teacher that. :D

Oddly enough, I do hold my pick "correctly" based on this, however I don't form a fist - my other three fingers tend to be open. And yes - I DO pinky plant. It depends on what I'm playing though. Someone else mentioned they don't when chording, and neither to I. But when I'm riffing or soloing I usually do. I have tried not doing it but it just feels awkward and I spend too much effort concentrating on it. I'm a horrible player to start with - I can't afford to have this kind of thing distract me too much!

By the way, I'm a hook-thumb player too most of the time. I guess I'm just pure evil from a technical standpoint! :rockon2:

C

·
0 Posts
I only "post" with my pinky when I'm finger-picking.... when I'm strumming, it'd just get in the way and slow me down...

Then again, my lead-guitar player mentioned the other night, that if I play any faster, he's gonna start slipping roofies into my coffee so that he can keep up.

LOL

1 - 20 of 60 Posts