The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
I have a buddy in town who pickuped up one last year? Anyone know?
Last I heard, Gar Gillies was building them himself, for select customers only. Can't remember where I read that. Last one I saw was a 2002 (reissue III). I don't know who has been building them since then. I'd love to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zdogma said:
Last I heard, Gar Gillies was building them himself, for select customers only. Can't remember where I read that. Last one I saw was a 2002 (reissue III). I don't know who has been building them since then. I'd love to get my hands on one.
I think someone got the rights in the last couple years. I don't know if Gar was well enough to continue.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Gar had been building a few here and there, the new ones were called the H-Zog (slightly modified version of the original). They are tough to find and most people that have them don't want to part with them.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Herzogs are really a simple little amp(alot like a champ or a garnet gnome). What they boil down to is an amp with a modified output turning it more into a headphone jack than a speaker output. I've been thinking seriously about building one to try it out. The biggest part is duplicating the circuit values that Gar used. They use a 6v6 for a power tube.

The modified output allows you to plug the Herzog into another amp without causing any problems normally associated with doing this.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Could you do that by changing the OT on let say the valve Junior attenuating the signal to a lineout or headphone signal ????

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
PaulS said:
Could you do that by changing the OT on let say the valve Junior attenuating the signal to a lineout or headphone signal ????
It's not so much that you have to change the OT itself. The original Herzog (which is what I am referring to, not the H-Zog of later years) used a Hammond 145 series OT. The OT on a Herzog has a load resistor (6ohm 10 watt) and a 1meg pot (to adjust the output), and then into a DPDT switch (to add or remove the Herzog from the circuit).

Any small amp could be modified to work like a Herzog, it would just be a matter of playing around with the load resistor values etc, to match your circuit. The original Herzogs didn't have a footswitch to turn it on or off, but it could be added fairly easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts