The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who here uses a pick to play bass?
I never had, but recently I've started, I find there's a lot more attack.:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Very rarely. Now that I'm playing a jazz bass, I have found that very aggressive pick tone I hear all the time. Very cool sound. That being said, I use a pick on 2 songs out of over 40 in our set-list. I'm a finger player.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use pick sometimes when I feel lazy on when I have blisters on my fingers and they hurt too much...

·
Registered
4 Posts
pickless

I've tried to play with a pick but it throws my time out in a big way. I've heard many players tell me they use a pick when they need really tight notes. Since I can't play with a pick (and I really have tired) I spend a lot of time getting my fingers to produce tight notes.

An exercise that has helped me is to really listen to each of the strikes of the fingers on your right hand. Make them sound exactly the same. This will lead to a very controlled sound. It's helped me greatly.

Of course that's not really the topic... but it might be of use to someone anyway.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bongo5hh said:
I've tried to play with a pick but it throws my time out in a big way. I've heard many players tell me they use a pick when they need really tight notes. Since I can't play with a pick (and I really have tired) I spend a lot of time getting my fingers to produce tight notes.

An exercise that has helped me is to really listen to each of the strikes of the fingers on your right hand. Make them sound exactly the same. This will lead to a very controlled sound. It's helped me greatly.

Of course that's not really the topic... but it might be of use to someone anyway.
lol jeez keep it on topic, like oh em gee.:sport-smiley-002:
:2guns:

·
Registered
93 Posts
i'll use a pick if i'm playing a song that was recorded using a pick. tool basslines don't really sound right without it. using a p-bass with the tone knob on zero and a pick has a nice sound for background bass playing

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zao_89 said:
I dont really play bass, but when I do, I always use a pick. I cant play notes fast enough with my fingers, so alternate picking helps.
yeah guitarists generally do use a pick

oh, and I've stopped using a pick again. I got bored.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I started on upright, so playing fingerstyle or slapping has always seemed far more "natural" to me. I do use a pick from time to time, but even after all these years I still have to think about it while I'm playing, so that gets in the way a little bit. Yep, even I still need to practice.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine's a .73. but they're wider than a normal pick

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is one of those topics where people are very split, I think it totally comes down to personal preferance and style of music. If you're playing something totally chill and jazzy, you're probably not going to want major attack, so most wouldnt use a pick. Then again, some of musics best bass players used a picked exclusively. Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce, Noel Redding, even more modren bassists like Mike Dirnt. If you know what you're doing, you can produce a nice fat tone with a pick, its all in how you use your tone controls. Personally, I use a pick almost exclusively. Many say that's common of guitarists who go to bass second, but I just find that using a pick gives me far better control, speed and percision. Youl can check out some recordings Ive done. I like to think of myself as following in the path of bassists like Noel Redding, in the sense that It's his tone I love the most.

http://www.myspace.com/neotokyotheband

Ultimately though, if you really wanna get down and dirty with your bass, learn both styles. If for no other reason than to impress your friends :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is one of those topics where people are very split, I think it totally comes down to personal preferance and style of music. If you're playing something totally chill and jazzy, you're probably not going to want major attack, so most wouldnt use a pick. Then again, some of musics best bass players used a picked exclusively. Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce, Noel Redding, even more modren bassists like Mike Dirnt. If you know what you're doing, you can produce a nice fat tone with a pick, its all in how you use your tone controls. Personally, I use a pick almost exclusively. Many say that's common of guitarists who go to bass second, but I just find that using a pick gives me far better control, speed and percision. Youl can check out some recordings Ive done. I like to think of myself as following in the path of bassists like Noel Redding, in the sense that It's his tone I love the most.

http://www.myspace.com/neotokyotheband

Ultimately though, if you really wanna get down and dirty with your bass, learn both styles. If for no other reason than to impress your friends :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts