The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I found out about FMIC (Fender Musical Instruments Company)

"As of July 10, 2012, the majority shareholders of Fender were the private equity firm of Weston Presidio (43%), Servco Pacific (5%) and the Japanese music distributors Yamano Music (14%) and Kanda Shokai (13%).[13][14] By December 2012, TPG Growth (the middle market and growth equity investment platform of TPG Capital) and Servco Pacific took control of the company after acquiring the shares held by Weston Presidio.[15]"

If you want to check the citations:

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation - Wikipedia

Any other information or stories about who owns what in the guitar industry would be welcome

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gretsch. Who owns it. Who runs it.

"In late 2002, Gretsch and the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation reached an agreement giving Fender most of the control over marketing, production, and distribution of guitars, with the Gretsch family retaining ownership of the company.[24]

Gretsch - Wikipedia

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yo man ! Who wrote these and when on Wikipedia ?
Have the sources been confirmed ? Is it still right ?
I mean, companies and shareholders come and go quite fast sometimes...

The real question is : Did the quality decrease or improve recently ?

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
The Gretsch info is correct. Many people get that wrong. And my info came from Fred Gretsch directly, as well as head marketing guy Joe Carducci.
Ditto
Saw them at a store appearance & asked about that

Reactions: DaddyDog

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did check a few of the Gretsch citations

·
Registered
493 Posts
I love that Gretsch is owned by Fender now. It makes the Telecaster name sort-kinda redundant. It just took 50 years.

I've heard tell: It was released in 1950 as the "Broadcaster", but Gretsch had a drum-set with that name, so in 51 it had nothing (becoming known as the Nocaster) till Fender settled on Telecaster in 52, liking "Tele" because the whole Television phase that just might catch on.

...or so the story goes.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
I love that Gretsch is owned by Fender now.
Check above--Fender doesn't own Gretsch--they take care of/control distribution & stuff--the Gretsch family actually owns the company.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
493 Posts
Check above--Fender doesn't own Gretsch--they take care of/control distribution & stuff--the Gretsch family actually owns the company.
Oops!

...although:

FMIC control. In late 2002, Gretsch and the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation reached an agreement giving Fender most of the control over marketing, production, and distribution of guitars, with the Gretsch family retaining ownership of the company.

Sounds like they're doing most of the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
Oops!

...although:

FMIC control. In late 2002, Gretsch and the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation reached an agreement giving Fender most of the control over marketing, production, and distribution of guitars, with the Gretsch family retaining ownership of the company.

Sounds like they're doing most of the heavy lifting.
Yes, but it isn't the same as ownership

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
With large companies buying up smaller ones and others merging, it is difficult and sometimes impossible to know, in many cases, who owns what.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts