The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,639 Posts
If you want a Gibson sound, you can't make it with a Godin. I have tried many times !
If it's 24.75, mahogany neck and body with a maple cap, I'm not sure where the issue would be. Granted, I haven't tried it myself!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have had the worst of luck with Gibson guitars so the answer is:
I don't.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
If you want a Gibson sound, you can't make it with a Godin. I have tried many times !
You need a good effects unit, then you can have just about any sound you want. Just pick your most playable guitar.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Made in Canada, less than a grand.
Mahogany body and neck.
Gibson scale, wrap around bridge.
0 Mojo

People want that Mojo...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Currently jonesing for a Godin 5th avenue Kingpin II. Had one as a rental and is my second favourite hollow body, the other would cost me between $2500-4000.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Never found the Godin necks 'pencil-thin' myself. After experimenting with lots of Godins over the years I still own a couple of SDs, an LG, an Exit 22, and G4000... those are all Gibson scale and they're great guitars, every one of them. I also have an SDXT and an LGXT (both Fender scale) and a Shifter bass - plus a La Patrie electric-acoustic - a classical hybrid with nylon strings. Their guitar necks have a pretty flat radius, which definitely isn't to everyone's taste - obviously I'm happy with them. I own more Godins than anything else. I don't care for the more recent stuff with body shapes that mimic Strats and Teles... makes them less distinctive that way, far as I'm concerned. But aesthetics aside, pretty much every Godin I've ever picked up has been very playable, with versatile electronics.

Resale value? Pretty lousy.

But I don't mind that. I've scored many a lightly-used Godin that way and I can't complain.

As for mojo - that elusive, mystical substance? Very much in the eye of the beholder.

P

·
0 Posts
I thought they moved production to the USA and ship them here for final touches or something...?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
That's probably how they've managed to keep prices so low.
Probably lower if they went to Mexico.
The manufacturing costs and taxes in Quebec must be considerably lower than Ontario to begin with though

1 - 20 of 91 Posts