The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...how many of us listen at least once in a while to Talk Radio?

Are they all kinda rightwing? Are there any popular leftwing talk shows? (This might eliminate the CBC, since their numbers are mostly very low compared to private broadcasting).

Maybe there's a difference in what people care about from the East Coast to the West Coast?

Considering the Ontario accent, how can we provide subtitles for listeners in other parts of Canada?:smile:

Any takers?

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I listen to 640 AM most days, mostly because I can't stand the endless run of the same old music, no matter what the genre. I used to listen to Q107, or as it's referred to Dude-1-0-Zepelin. Seems every other song is either Zep. Probably wouldn't be so bad if the actually played more than 5 or 6 songs, considering the catalogue but it's the same old stuff.

I try listening to 900AM now that Roy Green is gone, but it tends to be almost a commercial for aging with the topics they have on so 640 is it until I hook up my iPod to play through in the car.

One thing about 640, if you're from The Hammer it let's you in on the extremely dysfunctional world of Toronto politics. Just makes me shake my head. The city that believes itself to be the centre of the universe but is always clamoring for more outside attention.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
One thing about 640, if you're from The Hammer it let's you in on the extremely dysfunctional world of Toronto politics. Just makes me shake my head. The city that believes itself to be the centre of the universe but is always clamoring for more outside attention.

...i'm no fan of the city of toronto. never have been. but i think you are completely wrong.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Just curious...how many of us listen at least once in a while to Talk Radio?
Are they all kinda rightwing? Are there any popular leftwing talk shows? (This might eliminate the CBC, since their numbers are mostly very low compared to private broadcasting).
Maybe there's a difference in what people care about from the East Coast to the West Coast?
Considering the Ontario accent, how can we provide subtitles for listeners in other parts of Canada?:smile:
Any takers?
...i listen to am640 because i need to know how these people think. it is a cesspool of hate. and getting worse. (morning host) oakley used to use veiled language like "certain ethnicities", now he just calls them "blacks". same with former police tough guy craig bromell, although they finally booted him. and they never see their own hypocrisy. they will talk of violent crime in toronto being a "black" problem and yet, in areas where most of the crime is perpetrated by whites, no one ever mentions that it might be a "white problem".

i have been flooding their blogs with my observations. i don't know if it has any affect, but they seem to have seriously cut back on the self-promoting station ads advocating "brutally honest" hosts and "politically incorrect opinions welcome".

in any case, as i mentioned on another thread, they are a lightning rod for conservative white males with homophobic, racist and xenophobic views.

-dh

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...i listen to am640 because i need to know how these people think. it is a cesspool of hate. and getting worse. (morning host) oakley used to use veiled language like "certain ethnicities", now he just calls them "blacks". same with former police tough guy craig bromell, although they finally booted him. and they never see their own hypocrisy. they will talk of violent crime in toronto being a "black" problem and yet, in areas where most of the crime is perpetrated by whites, no one ever mentions that it might be a "white problem".

i have been flooding their blogs with my observations. i don't know if it has any affect, but they seem to have seriously cut back on the self-promoting station ads advocating "brutally honest" hosts and "politically incorrect opinions welcome".

in any case, as i mentioned on another thread, they are a lightning rod for conservative white males with homophobic, racist and xenophobic views.

-dh
Geez, I gotta check this out!

Is there a specific time slot, David? The morning show? Evenings? The only time I've ever tuned in was late at night to find out which ethnic group of space aliens was being abducted by Bigfoot...:smile:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Geez, I gotta check this out!
Is there a specific time slot, David? The morning show? Evenings? The only time I've ever tuned in was late at night to find out which ethnic group of space aliens was being abducted by Bigfoot...:smile:

...oakley is on am640 from 6-10 am. its too bad bromell is no longer there. his "tough guy" stance re the homeless, native indians, blacks etc was astounding.

charles adler (sub host roy green) is on from 2-4 pm. mister adler is one of those brilliant minds who disses "conspiracy theories" out of hand yet sees absolutely no irony or hypocrisy in labelling global warming a "liberal conspiracy".

you can also catch michael coren, of the "i'm not a homophobe, but.." variety, on cfrb 1010 afternoons from 3-4. coren is absolutely obsessed with gay folk.

john moore is on cfrb from 4-7 pm, i believe. although defintely left wing, he will not hesitate to out idiots of any political persuasion. conversely, he has no problem giving due credit to any political side.

-dh

·
Registered
944 Posts
I listened to NW98 until they fired my hero, Rafe Mair.

Now the station he's at can't be received in the Valley :(

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Geez....talk radio, might as well listen to CBC ...LOL
personally, I'd rather listen to music, and I find every classic rock station, which I prefer, has to have totally opinionated idiots yapping away about nonsense, with forced laughter in the mornings. I usually do the morning drive in silence. One of my buddies drives truck and listens to 640 and some of the stuff he repeats, and by the way takes for gospel (god love him) , is so much BS.
to each his own I guess
Cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did not know there was am radio anymore
I'm finding radio in general harder and harder to listen too. Far too much advertising, everything is "sponsored" the weather, the traffic, the the "hosts" that really believe you want to know everything about them and what they do.

I know the grass is always greener but the thought of internet or satellite radio has me sniffing around.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got one of those BBM radio poll logbooks...

My family got picked by BBM to fill out a log of our radio listening habits.

It's interesting in that there are 3 of us old enough for the poll, the wife, oldest daughter and of course myself. Of the 3 I'm the only one that listened to any radio that week!

The wife listens to Beatles and Great Big Sea CD's in her car to and from work. The daughter d/l's off the 'Net straight into her MP3 player.

This seems to be a trend. I have a radio announcer friend who tells me that the suits have finally caught on to the fact that they have little or no younger folks in the pipe for their next generation of listeners.

Wonder how it's gonna all shake out...

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I just find it impossible to listen to the radio with all the commercials. I have 8 stations preset on my radio. Driving into work in the morning, I can scan through all of those presets and hear nothing but ads. If I am looking for music, I can actually make the 20 minute drive to work and only hear one song that whole time some days.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
In 2005/2006 I was on mat leave. Prior to that I was becoming increasingly fed up with the quality of radio, too much talk too little music. When there was music it was all the same old same old. When that happens I switch to cd's. Anyway, upon my return to work I was somewhat excited as I thought maybe radio would be a new listening experience after being away from it a year.. Imagine my dissapointment on turning it on again and hearing the same old tired crap issuing forth! The same songs, the same stupid jokes. My husband has Sirus radio and I SO love it! Whatever your mood it's there, with little interference from dj's. It's worth the subscription price.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just find it impossible to listen to the radio with all the commercials. I have 8 stations preset on my radio. Driving into work in the morning, I can scan through all of those presets and hear nothing but ads. If I am looking for music, I can actually make the 20 minute drive to work and only hear one song that whole time some days.
Of course, TDU! The morning and afternoon work drive hour is prime time for ads. The stations can charge more money for them.

Nobody at the stations ever thinks that we have alternatives and that too much can kill their market.

Anyhow, all you need is a good Foghat CD, IMHO!

·
Registered
239 Posts

-dh

Agree with your take on Bromell. Not someone who I hold in high regard. Everytime I hear or see this guy, I am overwhelmed by the feeling of extreme corruption.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts