The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't recognize the word, then you probably aren't.

I ride a CX bike, (Trek Boone 7) about 5,000km per year, as weather permits. By the end of November weather doesn't seem to permit. Rather than pack on the winter weight, I bought myself aa new trainer.

So now I'm riding a Cervelo Soloist on a Tacx Neo, riding 3x a week in Zwift. I'm at 700km ridden, with 8km of vertical since just before xmas. And I'm looking forward to a 2 hour ride tomorrow morning. On Sunday I'll ride another stage of Tour de Zwift.

Soooooooo, who else is collecting "Ride On"?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm TrainerRoad guy. I can see the appeal of Zwift but not for me.If I was going to use a virtual ride app, I'd probably use Rouvy or Tacx for real video of real rides. I don't need the social aspect of Zwift.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I was still riding as much as I did when I was younger, I might get into something like this. Back then I put my bike on a MagTrainer and played Mario Cart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Lots of folks I ride with do this in the off season. I prefer to not wear out my bike and have done many spin classes over the years on Keiser bikes. My kids do TrainerRoad between racing seasons. The impression I get is the super serious guys do TrainerRoad but I think Zwift would be very cool, what I'd do.
I haven't turned a wheel since early Sept. due to injury. I fly to Calgary in 2 wks to see if my hip prosthesis has failed. X rays and a bone scan say no but I'm no better. Drop someone for me guys!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of folks I ride with do this in the off season. I prefer to not wear out my bike and have done many spin classes over the years on Keiser bikes. My kids do TrainerRoad between racing seasons. The impression I get is the super serious guys do TrainerRoad but I think Zwift would be very cool, what I'd do.
I work in a bicycle shop. Out of our customers, the hard core racers use Trainer Road, the crunched for time folks use Sufferfest. The serious enthusiasts like me spend most of our time in Zwift. The hip hard core guys import Trainer Road workouts into Zwift, and ride on a controllable smart trainer. A best of both worlds situation.

I believe that in Rouvy I can upload my own video and gpx file, and virtually ride my regular summer routes. If that works, and they manage to improve the social aspects to match Zwift, then we'll have a category killer.

Right now the online training apps are all still like Myspace. One will emerge as a Facebook equivalent.

For now I've just been riding recreationally in Zwift. Next month I'll do an FTP test, and then start training for Paris to Ancaster, The Ride of the Damned, and then the Hastings Highland Hilly Hundred in the fall.

I don't compete in races, I participate in events.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I just sweat it out old-school on a standard magnetic trainer. I'd really like to get into Trainer Road or Zwift, but I need some fancier gear for that. A smart trainer is high on my list of wants, currently.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Mag trainer here too. I sometimes look into those virtual ride simulators but I don't know if I'd use it enough every year. There are some winters where I would get my bang for the buck but years like this one, probably not. I don't think I'd ever use it from March to late October.

I've been on a couple 25 km rides this week and will go again tomorrow, it the weatherman isn't screwing with me. So far the mag trainer is all I need for those bad years. I just wish it provided a little more variety like some of these new systems dish out. Many more threads like this will change my mind.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Zwift on a Neo... fantastic combination. I do about 6000 km on the Neo in the winter and 5000 km on the road in the summer. My "good" bike is on the rack and my "foul weather bike" is on the neo. Once you get yourself setup right, no need to ever ride in bad weather again (full disclosure.... I like riding in GENTLE rain).

Sufferfest and Trainerroad for the serious racers, I'm OLD... I just like to ride, race cat D/C (depending) and do a good 12 week FTP program before summer; all of which I can do on Zwift.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Zwift on a Neo... fantastic combination. I do about 6000 km on the Neo in the winter and 5000 km on the road in the summer. My "good" bike is on the rack and my "foul weather bike" is on the neo. Once you get yourself setup right, no need to ever ride in bad weather again (full disclosure.... I like riding in GENTLE rain).

Sufferfest and Trainerroad for the serious racers, I'm OLD... I just like to ride, race cat D/C (depending) and do a good 12 week FTP program before summer; all of which I can do on Zwift.
I'm hardly serious let alone a racer, but I do qualify as old @ 51. I just like the structured planning of TR to improve. The plans are focused on progressive improvement. I spent too much time "just riding" thinking I was keeping my fitness but it wasn't the case. I've improved my functional threshold power bu 90W since starting TR in the late fall and went from 2.3W/kg to 3.5W/kg. I'm shooting to hit 4 by the spring.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm hardly serious let alone a racer, but I do qualify as old @ 51. I just like the structured planning of TR to improve. The plans are focused on progressive improvement. I spent too much time "just riding" thinking I was keeping my fitness but it wasn't the case. I've improved my functional threshold power bu 90W since starting TR in the late fall and went from 2.3W/kg to 3.5W/kg. I'm shooting to hit 4 by the spring.
4 w/kg is pretty serious. I'm normally around 3 -3.2 in the summer and that is about as much as I can take. I'd probably do a lot better if I focused on lowering the kg instead of trying to raise the watts...

·
Registered
705 Posts
4 w/kg is pretty serious. I'm normally around 3 -3.2 in the summer and that is about as much as I can take. I'd probably do a lot better if I focused on lowering the kg instead of trying to raise the watts...
I should have probably said that I am not so serious about competing with others, more like I am serious about setting and reaching an objective for myself. I don't mind "the grind" and know I need the structure of TR and it's plans. If I can get to and maintain 69kg, then it I think 4 is doable, but that last .3W/kg will be the hardest to to get. I don't think I'll ever crack the 300W FTP but I could reach 275-280.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My kids bought me a power meter last year and I gained a new respect for 200+ watts output-not for sissies! My last healthy ride early Sept. 2018 Was 111k, 180w average for a little over 2w/kg. Compare that to my son's ride yesterday in Vancouver, 109k, 265w average, guessing he was around 3.3w/kg., don't know his exact weight. His sister isn't far behind and her boyfriend has a rumoured FTP of over 350. Monsters, all of them!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Any of it don't interest me. When I was serious I would ride the roads. About a hour was all you could take and you did not want to get too far from home due to possible break downs. Cross train with cross country skiing. I bought a wind trainer one year and used it twice then it went in the crawl space and was sold off years later.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I should have probably said that I am not so serious about competing with others, more like I am serious about setting and reaching an objective for myself. I don't mind "the grind" and know I need the structure of TR and it's plans. If I can get to and maintain 69kg, then it I think 4 is doable, but that last .3W/kg will be the hardest to to get. I don't think I'll ever crack the 300W FTP but I could reach 275-280.
My kids bought me a power meter last year and I gained a new respect for 200+ watts output-not for sissies! My last healthy ride early Sept. 2018 Was 111k, 180w average for a little over 2w/kg. Compare that to my son's ride yesterday in Vancouver, 109k, 265w average, guessing he was around 3.3w/kg., don't know his exact weight. His sister isn't far behind and her boyfriend has a rumoured FTP of over 350. Monsters, all of them!
You're all doing quite well! I have no idea what my output is. I have to get myself one of them fancy power meters! I'd love to see what my output is like. I'm around 72kg, so if I could hold 210-ish watts, I'd be at 3w/kg, but I doubt it. I'm probably closer to 2.25 or so.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You're all doing quite well! I have no idea what my output is. I have to get myself one of them fancy power meters! I'd love to see what my output is like. I'm around 72kg, so if I could hold 210-ish watts, I'd be at 3w/kg, but I doubt it. I'm probably closer to 2.25 or so.
Power meters are neat toys and can be good training tools but like anything, people can get caught up in "the number" as a bragging point and forget it is about the activity. I'm a bit of a numbers geek so another data point is good. Ultimately it comes down to can I ride faster outdoors.

Right now I am getting my power numbers from a Tacx Vortex smart trainer. I backed a new power meter coming out on Kickstarter/Indiegogo called IQ2 that, if they work out the way they are intended, are pretty cost effective, but a gamble like any other KS/IGG project.

There are quite a few of them now and some are going into second and third generations so sometimes they can be had for a good sale price or used.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Power meters are neat toys and can be good training tools but like anything, people can get caught up in "the number" as a bragging point and forget it is about the activity. I'm a bit of a numbers geek so another data point is good. Ultimately it comes down to can I ride faster outdoors.

Right now I am getting my power numbers from a Tacx Vortex smart trainer. I backed a new power meter coming out on Kickstarter/Indiegogo called IQ2 that, if they work out the way they are intended, are pretty cost effective, but a gamble like any other KS/IGG project.

There are quite a few of them now and some are going into second and third generations so sometimes they can be had for a good sale price or used.
I hear you on the numbers, I'm the same way - I like stats and being able to track my improvements.

I saw that IQ2 product as well! I'm pretty interested in it, but the only thing keeping me from backing it right now is the extra width it adds to the cranks. Just looking at my pedalling motion, I think it might be an issue.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm a data junkie as well. I run a 4iiii powermeter on my good bike and have found it to be really useful for managing long rides and also on longer hill climbs. Keeping a good eye on the overall effort that you're putting out allows you to get good results by helping you keep right at the edge of your capabilities. Just before the outdoor season starts again, I'll mount that bike on my trainer and get an idea of the overall difference between the 4iiii and the Neo. There is a bit because the 4iiii is on the crank (i.e. before the chain and cassette friction losses) and the Neo is after the cassette, but as soon as I get the difference, I'm good to push to the limits.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts