The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice... i just bought an 80's Tokai strat, really nice guitar, but the frets are too small, so i'm wondering who you'd recommend to do refretting in and around the TO,Brampton area. (p.s. I don't want to pay big bucks!)
thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Hey guys, I need some advice... i just bought an 80's Tokai strat, really nice guitar, but the frets are too small, so i'm wondering who you'd recommend to do refretting in and around the TO,Brampton area. (p.s. I don't want to pay big bucks!)
thanks
Chris
I suspect you can buy a new aftermarket neck on E-bay for less than the cost of a refret.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milkman,Thanks for your input, Yeah that's what I was figuring too...I could buy a nice neck-allparts US whatever for $200 or so, and I'd be all set.
I've heard that a refretting is in the $225+ range.
Chris

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Milkman,Thanks for your input, Yeah that's what I was figuring too...I could buy a nice neck-allparts US whatever for $200 or so, and I'd be all set.
Chris
Yeah you can get lucky sometimes and get a nice neck for $150.

A refret only for set neck, neck through and really special bolt ons is the way I see it.

Then again some folks get really used to one neck and it's worth it to keep it.

Not me. I can get used to most necks pretty quick. I've never refretted a bolt on, come to think of it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Smitty at The Guitar World in Mississauga does great work.

www.theguitarworld.com

PS. A brand new neck is certainly an option but there's also no guarantee that a new neck wont need to have the frets at least leveled out and/or dressed.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Chris
I wouldn't be so quick to switch out the neck. The combination of neck and body is part of the "mojo" of certain guitars, especially strats and teles. If this guitar has "the magic" then it might be worth spending a little more to keep the neck/body intact.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
This may sound all voodoo and everything, but if the neck has the magic, it is worth getting refretted.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Chris
Chris, I'll trade you an allparts neck for your Tokai. I think you are the guy I traded amps with awhile back. I loved that Tokai neck if its the one I tried the Victoria though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts