The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do.

My awesome Martin 12 string is, by far, my favorite instrument. But here is my take on the 12 string guitar:
If you only play covers and if it's only tuned standard, then you will get really bored, really fast.

Mine is always in some form of alt tuning and I never play covers (well, true unless I am asked to accompany someone or when I was in a band). I only go for improvisation & original material. Allows for so much more creativity, interest, discovery and rewarding experiences with the shimmering sound of the 12 string.

So what do you do with your 12 string guitar? Cheers!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I have a few 12s that I picked up over the years. They don't get much play time since to many projects in the last few years...

I mostly have fun playing mellow tunes on them , some Pink Floyd is amazing on a 12.

VA-912

VS-696-12

Hummm…. I don't have any pics on my Vantage 12 acoustic... Its not the same quality as your Martin, but it does the job very well ... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I have a Larrivee L-42 12 string. It's gets a lot of play. I play covers and original material. I keep it in standard tuning. I especially like it for open mics. It gives you a different sound from the rest of the performers.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
I play a lot of 12 string, both covers and original music. A 12 string Takamine is what I pick up first. Straight strumming gets boring, I do a lot of picking and hybrid picking. Haven't explored alternate tunings yet, unless you count a capo.

What sort of alternate tunings are you using @Daniel Grenier ?

A friend's wife's 12 string I used to work on (she has since passed away) was always in some crazy tuning, even the paired strings would be different, but I never had an opportunity to sit down with her where she could explain it to me.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
I have my Seagull 12 string tuned down 1 step and use it to play "Wish You Were Here" and "As Tears Go By". Hopefully, that will change this coming "dirty word" when I have more time. Playing the 12 string really does help to strengthen my chording hand.
Here's Guitar World's Top 30 12 String guitar tunes of all time.

Top 30 12 string guitar tune according to Guitar World.JPG

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I play a lot of 12 string, both covers and original music. A 12 string Takamine is what I pick up first. Straight strumming gets boring, I do a lot of picking and hybrid picking. Haven't explored alternate tunings yet, unless you count a capo.

What sort of alternate tunings are you using @Daniel Grenier ?

A friend's wife's 12 string I used to work on (she has since passed away) was always in some crazy tuning, even the paired strings would be different, but I never had an opportunity to sit down with her where she could explain it to me.
Right now it's in DADGAD. I also use Open G, Open D, Open C, CGDGGD, CGDGCD (aka Orkney), EADGAE, Drop D, Double Drop D and sometimes any of these down a 1/2 or full step. But I have never tried different tuning on the paired strings. Maybe next time. I also use a capo extensively which gives tunes a whole different feeling. Some just don't work on fret 1 but capo it to fret 3 or 4 and there it is. All good fun.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
IMG_7272.jpg

The one on the right, a '96 Beneteau 12 string, 12 fret.

I had a cheap Fender 12 in my late teens and early 20s that had pretty good playability but dubious tone. I searched for years for one I liked but most were either too bass boomy, too treble strident, too physically huge, or too fncking expensive. Eventually I got this one built for me and it's been great, lovely balance on the knee (being a 12 fret makes it a wee shorter and ebony machine head buttons are lighter than metal ones), being tight wasted it sits a little lower on the lap than a jumbo, and I believe the bridge being closer to the wider part of the top enhances the tone (as subjective as that can be). The picture makes it look less worn than it is, but it's still in good shape.

I use it for the typical 12 string songs but I also use it any other time just for fun. Great for celtic stuff too. Sometimes I retune to open G, but usually it's in standard. No action issues.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have my Seagull 12 string tuned down 1 step and use it to play "Wish You Were Here" and "As Tears Go By". Hopefully, that will change this coming "dirty word" when I have more time. Playing the 12 string really does help to strengthen my chording hand.
Here's Guitar World's Top 30 12 String guitar tunes of all time.

View attachment 218792
Good list. I played many of these on the 12 string when I was in a band but if I had to play Wish you were here, or Free falling or that Stairway thing one more time I might consider giving up guitar.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 218806

The one on the right, a '96 Beneteau 12 string, 12 fret.

I had a cheap Fender 12 in my late teens and early 20s that had pretty good playability but dubious tone. I searched for years for one I liked but most were either too bass boomy, too treble strident, too physically huge, or too fncking expensive. Eventually I got this one built for me and it's been great, lovely balance on the knee (being a 12 fret makes it a wee shorter and ebony machine head buttons are lighter than metal ones), being tight wasted it sits a little lower on the lap than a jumbo, and I believe the bridge being closer to the wider part of the top enhances the tone (as subjective as that can be). The picture makes it look less worn than it is, but it's still in good shape.

I use it for the typical 12 string songs but I also use it any other time just for fun. Great for celtic stuff too. Sometimes I retune to open G, but usually it's in standard. No action issues.
Wow! Is that 3 Beneteaus I am seeing here? That is a serious trio of guitar you have here, my friend. Impressive!

I don’t think I have ever seen a 12 fret 12 string. That is rather unusual but I am sure it sounds awesome like all Beneteaus. I personally find 12 fret somewhat awkward to get used to. I have one and it sure feels like a different beast after playing a 14 fret. What I would like, personally, is a Baritone 12string. I like the deep low growl of B or C on the 12.

Anyway, thanks for posting those awesome guitars.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Wow! Is that 3 Beneteaus I am seeing here? That is a serious trio of guitar you have here, my friend. Impressive!

I don’t think I have ever seen a 12 fret 12 string. That is rather unusual but I am sure it sounds awesome like all Beneteaus. I personally find 12 fret somewhat awkward to get used to. I have one and it sure feels like a different beast after playing a 14 fret. What I would like, personally, is a Baritone 12string. I like the deep low growl of B or C on the 12.

Anyway, thanks for posting those awesome guitars.
My pleasure. But sorry, I'm too lazy to edit the photo to just the subject matter. Or conversely, I'm an arrogant braggart. The jury's still out. ;-)

I bought those in the '90s when I was making double what I do now and Beneteau's prices were half what they are now. I had another, bought from a member here, that's since been sold to one of my most promising students. It's great to hear it played regularly. Anyway, It's doubtful that I'll ever afford guitars like these again so it's a good thing I've already got them.

Yeah, a baritone 12 would be cool. There are a few builders around who would make you one, I'm sure. I usually recommend Beneteau and Joshua House, but there are lots of others...it's kind of the golden age of luthiery right now.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
My pleasure. But sorry, I'm too lazy to edit the photo to just the subject matter. Or conversely, I'm an arrogant braggart. The jury's still out. ;-)

I bought those in the '90s when I was making double what I do now and Beneteau's prices were half what they are now. I had another, bought from a member here, that's since been sold to one of my most promising students. It's great to hear it played regularly. Anyway, It's doubtful that I'll ever afford guitars like these again so it's a good thing I've already got them.

Yeah, a baritone 12 would be cool. There are a few builders around who would make you one, I'm sure. I usually recommend Beneteau and Joshua House, but there are lots of others...it's kind of the golden age of luthiery right now.
As a very happy owner of a Beneteau, they're worth bragging on. Back when I was making more and they cost less, I'd decided I wanted a 12-fret 12-string from Marc; then the bottom fell out of the tech world.... And a baritone from Marc would be magical, the rich basses from his regular guitars just make me tingle. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When young had an ovation 12. Say what you want about ovations, that thing almost played itself and sounded great.

Now have a yamaha fg72012s that plays really nice. A little tinny(I guess, "bright" is the proper term?) to my ear but plays nice and lives in open g. Also have the solid h.mah. tanglewood I keep spouting off about. :)

Honestly if my fingerpicking was good enough I wouldn't own a 6.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had a few 12 strings over the years. Here is my current one which I posted a short time ago. It's a Lowden design made by Yairi in Japan. It is 1980's vintage.

Just ordered one of these arm rests for it.

Figured Solid Redwood Guitar Arm Rest for 39-41" Acoustic Guitar Red | eBay

Lowden designed and Yairi made is like saying Pininfarina designed Ferrari. That’s a real beauty. I bet she sounds rich, deep and loud.

Let us know how this armrest thing works for you. I’ve kind of been curious and dubious about these.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
As a very happy owner of a Beneteau, they're worth bragging on. Back when I was making more and they cost less, I'd decided I wanted a 12-fret 12-string from Marc; then the bottom fell out of the tech world.... And a baritone from Marc would be magical, the rich basses from his regular guitars just make me tingle. Maybe one day.
The guitar on the left in the picture I posted earlier is an early baritone from Beneteau (1998). I don't know how many baritones he'd built previous to mine, at least one as Don Ross was ahead of me in line, but mine was briefly featured in a flier. 27" scale length, so perhaps a little short for the purpose. I originally got it to get me half way to the bass register without giving up clear ringing chords in a celtic group. Since the demise of that group I've been keeping it tuned at either C# or D standard.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Lowden designed and Yairi made is like saying Pininfarina designed Ferrari. That’s a real beauty. I bet she sounds rich, deep and loud.

Let us know how this armrest thing works for you. I’ve kind of been curious and dubious about these.
I have one on my Alvarez MD60 and there is a significant difference in volume and sustain. To check how it would sound on your guitars, strum with your arm as it normally would sit on the front and then strum without your arm resting on the soundboard. That will be the difference with the armrest.

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
I've always loved the sound of the 12 string & a number of years ago saved up some money & bought an S&P cedar top one.
The top is scratched up a bit due to the softness of the cedar & I put a crack in it with my elbow--but it doesn't seem to affect the sound & the crack hasn't grown

But it plays real well & I love the sound...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have one on my Alvarez MD60 and there is a significant difference in volume and sustain. To check how it would sound on your guitars, strum with your arm as it normally would sit on the front and then strum without your arm resting on the soundboard. That will be the difference with the armrest.
I know what you mean with the arm-on-the-top thing as I use that “trick” a fair bit to alter the sound but is this armrest gizmo supposed to actually give your arm a “rest”?

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I know what you mean with the arm-on-the-top thing as I use that “trick” a fair bit to alter the sound but is this armrest gizmo supposed to actually give your arm a “rest”?
No, just the sound board. There are some on the market with a little more of a rounded edge but the ones I've used are pretty much like the guitar's edge. I guess they could be sanded a bit to make it a bit more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts