The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Super Reverb and a friend suggest I use and attenuator with it.
my only experience was a Dr.Z airbrake with my Maz18 and I never really go into it .
A Pro Reverb,Twin or Super is a loud amp for alot of clubs so just wondering on experiences with these bigger power Fenders and the use of attenuation.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I tried a Hot Plate on my Super Reverb and it sounded like poo (They do seem to work good with a cranked Bassman though). With a Super or Twin I say turn it down and use pedals for distortion if volume is an issue.

I use a Z airbrake with 50w amps sometimes but it wouldn't really make sense to use it with a Maz Jr.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Attenuators work best on amps under 50 Watts. The Airbrake was next to useless on my 135 W SF Twin Reverb.
I think they work best on amps around 50 watts. Not much use for them on low wattage amps, and I am surpised yours didn't catch fire with a 135 w Twin. :eek:

Pete

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a 2 ohm Hotplate bolted into the inside of the back panel of my tweed Bassman. (I'll try to get a pic of this setup later) I think it sounds great. I never really use it below the first click on the attenuation knob (-4db), it's either at -4db or full depending on how loud I can be for the room. I do wish there were finer increments between -4 and full.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I have a 2 ohm Hotplate bolted into the inside of the back panel of my tweed Bassman. (I'll try to get a pic of this setup later) I think it sounds great. I never really use it below the first click on the attenuation knob (-4db), it's either at -4db or full depending on how loud I can be for the room. I do wish there were finer increments between -4 and full.
Yup, a tweed Bassman is the only Fender I've ever heard that really sounded good with a hotplate. They just dont work well with the BF/SF models.

Pete

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use an older style Weber Mass 100 with my Super, with excellant results. I se it on 4ohms, which Weber assured me won't hurt a thing, and it sounds great. I set it on 6-8 and it still sounds like a uper, and its still fairly loud, but at least it doesn't kill people. It allows me to run the amp on 7, which all Super owners know, is the sweet spot on these suckas'! You still have to pay strict attention to your vol control on the guitar, which is a good thing, with a Strat.

CT.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I use a hotplate w my 62 tremolux and 66 vibrolux reverb. They both sound fine with in my view w the attenuation.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I just picked up a 4ohm Hotplate for my old Bassman head on the weekend and I am throughly impressed with it. The sweetspot on my amp is 3-4 and that is really loud! IMHO, the hotplate really tames the volume without losing alot of tone. Also they seem to have come down a bit in price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i like the hotplates on my tweed bassman, super and deluxe and i also like the hotplate on my vibroverb RI.
the blackface twin can benefit from a bit of attenuation in that it allows the amp to be turned up to it's sweet spot w/o the incredible volumes that a twin turned up to 4-5 can deliver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to have a (Blackfaced) Silverface Vibrolux that I tried with a Scholtz Power Soak and my Marshall Power Break but it wasn't quite what I was looking for - too much sag at the highest volume level. I was going for the SRV tone and the overdrive was there but the sag was too much. I'm sure it would have sounded better with the volume set lower but I was going for higher overdrive.

I also used to have a Hot Rod Deluxe and it sounded great on the Drive channel with the Power Break (but not so great with the Power Soak). Lots of overdrive (fairly compressed and somewhat "hairy" if you like that), sustain and cleaned up pretty well with the guitar volume.

Unfortunately, the Normal channel on my HRD didn't really sound that great with either attenuator. It just wasn't the same as having the Normal channel cranked - which I liked quite a lot - so that was disappointing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts