The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
For me it would be Neil Young. When I started playing guitar I was listening to Page and Hendrix and I remember thinking, "I can't do that. That's like magic or something." Then I heard Neil solo electric and I thought, "Maybe I could do that?" It's more emotion than technique.

Electric Neil is like listening to somebody wrestle with electricity. Some times he wins, sometimes he loses but the struggle is fascinating.

Then on the complete other side of the coin, you've got Neil acoustic which is subtly very tricky to play exactly as he does. People hammer out Heart of Gold around the campfire, but if you actually listen to what he's playing, it's way more complicated.

That SNL version of "Rockin' In The Free World" is still the greatest performance I ever heard on that show, and maybe the greatest on TV in the last thirty years. If anyone needs an explanation of what rock 'n roll is, they should watch that clip. Just total aggression and energy from all concerned. I love the way Charlie Drayton stomps around hunched over like an Indian. You also see how important Frank Sampedro was to that band as well. Neil rips the strings off 'Ol Black at the end. Just an amazing performance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For me it would be Neil Young. When I started playing guitar I was listening to Page and Hendrix and I remember thinking, "I can't do that. That's like magic or something." Then I heard Neil solo electric and I thought, "Maybe I could do that?" It's more emotion than technique.

Electric Neil is like listening to somebody wrestle with electricity. Some times he wins, sometimes he loses but the struggle is fascinating.

Then on the complete other side of the coin, you've got Neil acoustic which is subtly very tricky to play exactly as he does. People hammer out Heart of Gold around the campfire, but if you actually listen to what he's playing, it's way more complicated.

This...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
That SNL version of "Rockin' In The Free World" is still the greatest performance I ever heard on that show, and maybe the greatest on TV in the last thirty years. If anyone needs an explanation of what rock 'n roll is, they should watch that clip. Just total aggression and energy from all concerned. I love the way Charlie Drayton stomps around hunched over like an Indian. You also see how important Frank Sampedro was to that band as well. Neil rips the strings off 'Ol Black at the end. Just an amazing performance.
Whoa ya! The drummer is just killing those drums too, just awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Charlie Starr

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Never been a big Santana fan...I think his playing lacks humility and he overplays...Someone should have told him that its ok for a song to go 15 seconds without some of his noodling as if competing with the singer. And that harsh critique is from someone who loves shredders :) But I doubt i could pick any of them either, as much as I enjoy the fretboard gymnastics that they do eg Reb Beach, Zakk Wylde, John Sykes.
Shredders or not .. Frank Zappa had a tune called "Variations On The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression" .. Carlos Santana is sleek, that's about all :)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
There are too many ... Interesting question would be - whom, out of all generally recognized guitar heroes, you don't particularly like? For me, Joe Bonamassa and SRV .. I appreciate their talents but they don't inspire me a bit. Maybe I should start a new discussion on this ..?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I mentioned this before in another thread a few years ago but my two favourite guitarists have always been George Harrison and Elliot Easton. I also like Mark Knopfler and Andy Summers.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
OK .. Mike Bloomfield .. Peter Green .. Duane Allman .. **** Taylor .. Frank Zappa .. Jeff Beck .. not in any particular order :)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Lukather. He's completely comfortable in just about ant genre of music and always seems to give the song exactly what it needs. Be it a full on, over the top solo, or a few notes buried in the mix. He always knows exactly what fits the song.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Not a fair game but adding on to the law firm of Howe, Knopfler, Harrison and Green, I'll add these associates...Martin Barre. Steve Hackett, Mike Campbell and Prince.

Reminds me of the combating street fight news teams in Anchorman.

Reactions: Kenmac

·
Registered
301 Posts
40 years ago this week Chicago was the first rock act to play Carnegie Hall. I stand by my earlier post, but would now like to offer Terry Kath into the discussion.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
40 years ago this week Chicago was the first rock act to play Carnegie Hall. I stand by my earlier post, but would now like to offer Terry Kath into the discussion.
Amazing player!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts