The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Well, this thread makes me realize the choices that come to my mind are singer/song writers guitar players : Eric "Slow Hand" Clapton, James Taylor and Michel Rivard.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I can’t dispute any of the choices so far. Does it have to be somebody still with us? My favourite player by far is Brownie McGhee. Try playing like he does sometime and see how far you get. He is very musical, holds down the beat, and often sings at the same time.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
David Gilmour probably.

But then I think about **** Ronson and Elliot Easton and Jerry Cantrell... it's just impossible for me to pick one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ry Cooder has been consistently my top favourite for decades. Leo Kottke, Eric Johnson and Pat Metheny left indelible impressions years ago that have stuck. In recent years, the lyrical, emotive mastery and completely low-key demeanour of Derek Trucks makes him a favourite to watch playing live. In a world of massive pedalboards, he gets bonus points for not using any.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Alex Lifeson
He fills his role in a band setting, loves ripping your face off and then mellowing out on acoustic. Does it all.
His playing has evolved greatly over the years and was always integral in the little band he founded.
Gets better and better with age.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
For years Lenny Breau was my favorite and he remains my gold standard with Gene Bertoncini not far behind. These days there are a bunch of players who bring me a lot of pleasure: Cenk Erdogan, Antonio Forcione, Dominic Miller, and Ulf Wakenius probably get the most listening time.

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
i couldn't pick just one, but in no order, here are SOME

craig goldy
malcom young
richie blackmore
evh
glenn tipton
dave navarro
phillpa nasssil
tommy lindeman
warren haynes
warren dimartini
robin crosby
tony iommi
allison robertson
dave hlubeck
robin trower
slash
ted nugent
muddy waters
randy cooper

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
It tends to go back and forth between Brad Paisley and Gary Clark Jr.

But Hendrix is always hanging around in the background.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts