The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just out of curiosity who is your favourite guitar player? And why?

For me ever since I got into music,well forced into music it has pretty much been Carlos Santana . I think the reason I like him is because he’s not flashy player like Steve vai or ying malmsteen just to name a few .
It’s more simple but still reaches the soul .

And as I said earlier I hated music but I made a childhood friend named trey . Now trey was a huge music buff and literally made me sit in a room and listen to grand funk railroad, Mötley Crüe , bon jovi and def leppard.

So back to my question who is your favourite and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hard to pick a single player but Adrian Belew would probably be the guy I would listen to if I had to pick one player to listen to forever. Nice big catalog with a variety of great bands and quirky as hell.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Mine is Chris Rest from RKL/Lagwagon/No Use for a Name/The Other.

I don’t know why really except he’s one of the first players I heard that just blew my mind.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
Never been a big Santana fan...I think his playing lacks humility and he overplays...Someone should have told him that its ok for a song to go 15 seconds without some of his noodling as if competing with the singer. And that harsh critique is from someone who loves shredders :) But I doubt i could pick any of them either, as much as I enjoy the fretboard gymnastics that they do eg Reb Beach, Zakk Wylde, John Sykes.

So, my pick would likely be Brian Setzer....his guitar playing fits in with the structure of the song and in the greater context of a big band, yet he knows when to step up...hes comfortable in every way, clean or dirty and also can be subtle. He's not "just a guitar player".

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never been a big Santana fan...I think his playing lacks humility and he overplays...Someone should have told him that its ok for a song to go 15 seconds without some of his noodling as if competing with the singer. And that harsh critique is from someone who loves shredders :) But I doubt i could pick any of them either, as much as I enjoy the fretboard gymnastics that they do eg Reb Beach, Zakk Wylde, John Sykes.

So, my pick would likely be Brian Setzer....his guitar playing fits in with the structure of the song and in the greater context of a big band, yet he knows when to step up...hes comfortable in every way, clean or dirty and also can be subtle. He's not "just a guitar player".
I actually also really like Brian

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Also hard for me to choose a single player. A number of players play a part in, inspiring, influencing and making me the player I am. Among some of those David Gilmour, Brian May, Ray Flacke, Albert Lee, Brian Mason, Mark Knopfler, Brad Paisley, Redd Volkaert, Roy Nichols, Jerry Donahue, George Moody, ... I'm definitely forgetting some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At the risk of being cliche, Jimi Hendrix.

Beyond that there's a ton of others I consider a huge influence: Link Wray, SRV, Steve Cropper, BB King, Peter Green

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Does this count? Don't really need a reason.
It's impressive and infuriating how good some people are at multiple things. Roy Clark, Bernie Williams etc.

As for me, John Frusciante. Crisp, clean, fills the space in a three piece beautifully and a riff monster.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
For me it would be Neil Young. When I started playing guitar I was listening to Page and Hendrix and I remember thinking, "I can't do that. That's like magic or something." Then I heard Neil solo electric and I thought, "Maybe I could do that?" It's more emotion than technique.

Electric Neil is like listening to somebody wrestle with electricity. Some times he wins, sometimes he loses but the struggle is fascinating.

Then on the complete other side of the coin, you've got Neil acoustic which is subtly very tricky to play exactly as he does. People hammer out Heart of Gold around the campfire, but if you actually listen to what he's playing, it's way more complicated.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm going to throw another cliché in the mix and say Page. There are countless guitar players who are "better", more technical, faster, proficient... name the adjective.

I go with Page because he changed my musical trajectory. I kinda got away from Rock. I had stopped taking guitar lessons because it wasn't prominent in the music I was getting into at the time. When I first heard What Is and What Should Never Be, I nearly crapped my pants. I rushed out to buy Zep II and that was it. I started playing again, my group of friends tweaked (for the better) and I really started to listen to music. Not just hear it in the background.

I opt to put Zep on the turntable a lot less these days than I used to, but it does not change my love for the music they gave. Page will forever be my #1 guitar hero.

·
Premium Member
17,689 Posts
For me it would be Neil Young. When I started playing guitar I was listening to Page and Hendrix and I remember thinking, "I can't do that. That's like magic or something." Then I heard Neil solo electric and I thought, "Maybe I could do that?" It's more emotion than technique.

Electric Neil is like listening to somebody wrestle with electricity. Some times he wins, sometimes he loses but the struggle is fascinating.

Then on the complete other side of the coin, you've got Neil acoustic which is subtly very tricky to play exactly as he does. People hammer out Heart of Gold around the campfire, but if you actually listen to what he's playing, it's way more complicated.

Young is funny that way. I think in a very real sense he has two distinct sets of fans. There are some who like both, but I know many who are either a fan of his electric stuff or his acoustic stuff but not both.

My wife and I are in the acoustic only camp when it comes to Neil.

I think your analogy of his electric playing is a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Lots of names come to mind, but the guys that I really like today are the guys like Dave Rawlings who don't need to be the centre of attention, but can add something tasteful to just about any mix - and if they can't they are happy to just be quiet. As a kid, I liked David Lindley a tonne - partly for the same reasons and partly because he shunned "guitar orthodoxy".

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
combo of Jimi Hendrix and Pat Metheny, thats how my style has evolved anyway..

Never got to see Jimi live, but Pat metheny three times, studied both their playing styles via berklee as well. More similarities then one would expect

1 - 20 of 87 Posts