Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Vox Valvetronix VD30VT

Votes: 13 59.1%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ain't doing this until I get my finances straightened but which amp would you choose for quiet home practice?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I voted for the Vox. I plan on getting one at some point. My tube amps are just too loud to play at night when everyone is in bed - and that is normally the only time I have to play. I really wanted to get an 18 Watt kit but that will have to wait for now.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Voted Vox but if there was an alternative I'd vote for a used L6 POD XT (the bean version). Decent modelling tone, small and you can record with it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've had experience with both and overall I find the Cube to be a better practice amp. The Cube is smaller and easier to operate (less buttons and whatnot). Also, the Vox's distortion sounds are kind of weak compared to the Cube's distortion models in my opinion. The Vox does have a wider pallet of clean sounds though. They're both excellent amps and you can't really go wrong with either one. But to me, when it comes to practice amps, portability is a big issue and the Cubes are smaller and much more portable while they deliver pretty much the same volume/power as their Vox counterparts.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both sound good, but I ended up with a Marshall MG30DFX for quiet practice.
When I started playing again after many, many moons, I bought a Marshall MG15CD. Once I was able to minimally play again, I realized how much this amp sucked.

·
Registered
14,753 Posts
I've always liked Roland amps--so I picked that one.
I mostly practice without plugging in. I find that a better way, as it forces me to work on technique and not use effects or amp settings to mask my shortcomings. Although practicing with an amp has its uses, and i's fun too.
THen I use my main amp, a ROland JC-60, but just don't tuen it very high. Or I use my old Loco-Boy mini amp

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
When I started playing again after many, many moons, I bought a Marshall MG15CD. Once I was able to minimally play again, I realized how much this amp sucked.
For what I want it for, I find the MG30DFX to be quite a good little amp.

It sounds best with my Les Paul and other humbucker equipped guitars. However it does sound weak with my HSS Lado on the single coils. So getting an amp that matches your guitars is important.

If it were my only amp I would not be completely satisfied but I think that would be true with other competitive amps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have an AD50VT and love it. The great thing about the AD30VT it has an adjustable output wattage so crank the master volume and keep the output low for bedroom use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Traynor YCV-20 but, of everything else I tried before buying it I liked the Vox. With the output control and tube preamp I believe it's the most versatile small amp for home use. I wasn't overly impressed with the Roland Cube 30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts