The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
camer138 said:
right now im using d'darios, i find that ghs strings break really easily.. what do you prefer?
...i've been using the elixir anti-rust (all six strings are coated). they last forever.

but, as i don't perspire as much as i used to, i'm thinking of going back to traditional strings and, like you, looking for recommends.

-dh

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been using Blue Steel for about the last 15 years. They seem to keep their tonal quality quite well. Not much breakage either.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't play much anymore (maybe 3 hours per week), but I'm now on my third set of Martin 'Silk and Steel' strings and they seem to last really well, hold tuning well, and are really easy to bend. I've never seen them mentioned in any string threads before, so I would be interested to know if any of you guys have tried them and your comments.

I

·
0 Posts
Any of the coated strings will hold the new feeling for a long time but you have to like the coated feel. I couldn't learn to like the Elixers.

For standard strings I swear by DR Tite-Fits. I stopped changing strings for every show when I switch to DRs and now I'll go three or four nights on one set before I change them. They're wound so incredibly well that it takes longer for dirt to work it's way in between the windings and dull them.

I

·
0 Posts
J S Moore said:
Snake Oil nickel strings. Great bluesy tone out of them. I haven"t tried the rock formula.
I've been hearing a lot about these. Are you importing them? After shipping and duty and whatnot what are you paying per pack? Where are you getting them from? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dean Markley Blue Steel... I play 6-12 hours a day and they stay nice for awhile. Only others I've tried are GHS, and they went flat / sounded dead in a week... I don't like that, plus they break pretty easy.

That said, I must sweat acid or something, because every string I touch (no matter what brand, it's my fingers) gets all black and shit, so I have to clean them everyday after playing.

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
iaresee said:
I've been hearing a lot about these. Are you importing them? After shipping and duty and whatnot what are you paying per pack? Where are you getting them from? Thanks.
I am thinking about carrying them, but at the moment I don't. I buy three packs at a time and haven't had any issues coming across the border. $8.50 per pack and $3.50 shipping (US). Direct from Dean at http://www.sobstrings.net/index.htm

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
violation said:
Dean Markley Blue Steel... I play 6-12 hours a day and they stay nice for awhile. Only others I've tried are GHS, and they went flat / sounded dead in a week... I don't like that, plus they break pretty easy.
That said, I must sweat acid or something, because every string I touch (no matter what brand, it's my fingers) gets all black and shit, so I have to clean them everyday after playing.

...acidic perspiration. my doctor tells me its the downside of a healthy immune system. i can't tell you how many guitars i've lost to extreme corrosion - all the metal parts just sieze right up.

give the elixir anti-rust series a try.

-dh

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
david henman said:
...acidic perspiration. my doctor tells me its the downside of a healthy immune system. i can't tell you how many guitars i've lost to extreme corrosion - all the metal parts just sieze right up.

give the elixir anti-rust series a try.

-dh
Hey, thanks for the info... I was always curious about that but never thought to ask while I was at the doctors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts