The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Hughes and Kettner 1x12 that comes loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30. I already have an Eminence Reignmaker I was looking to mount in a cabinet. This is why I bought the H&K. I play for my own enjoyment and never leave the house, so volume and being able to be heard over/with others is not a concern. I use a Micro Terror head. I am not a serious player and this is my first head and cab setup, so I don't know all the ins and outs of cabs and speakers. The Celestion is 60w and 16ohm and the Eminence is 75w and 8ohm. The head is an 8ohm minumum. Since the head can power either speaker, given the choice of either speaker, which way would you go? The adjustable attenuation of the Eminence isn't a big deal as the cab is closed back. Before I start pulling the cab apart, which speaker would be the better option? I know sound is a personal thing, but feedback from serious players is always welcome.

BTW, first post but been reading the forum for a while.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd use the V30 because it's already in there. Then I'd get an empty 112 to load the emi into, and run both.
Not really an option at this point, but it has entered my head. My only concern would be running 2 different rated speakers. I assume I could run both since the cab is wired parallel and both speakers are equal to or above the head power, but I don't know enough and don't want to chance blowing the head up.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I'd probably stick with the V30. There isn't really any advantage to the Reignmaker unless you're going to use the attenuation feature. V30s are good sounding speakers, lots of upper mids, I have one in a 212 that I use regularly.

You won't be able to use both at the same time, mixing impedances doesn't work well.

The micro terror has a great master volume, so I'm not sure that you need the attenuation.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
As mentioned I'd use the V30 in the closed-back cab and eventually get an openback cabinet for the FDM speaker. Kinda pointless to put that in a CB cab. The open-back will give you the best of both worlds because those two cab designs will cover a lot of ground.

If you were to run the two speakers in parallel, the 8 ohm speaker will receive twice the power (and would be twice as loud if speaker efficiencies were equal - which you can disregard with the FDM technology). With an openback cab, you could dial the the 8 ohm FDM to be as loud as the 16 ohm speaker - an interesting idea.

Reactions: Verne

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the reasons I bought this 1x12 was for the Eminence speaker. But playing the V30, I don't mind the sound at all. I have the Eminence mounted in a sub box as it was the only thing I had to put it in until I found a cab. I had trouble finding anything that wasn't out of my budget, or empty. I will leave everything as it is and one day I'll find an empty cab, or one with a blown speaker.

I found the H&K cab at L&M for $250 as a boxing day deal. It was a trade in, but it's in mint condition.

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
I will leave everything as it is and one day I'll find an empty cab, or one with a blown speaker.
Welcome to the forum! Lots of forum members in London and the surrounding area.

Good luck with getting an empty cab. They show up on our local Kijiji fairly often. I recently bought one that was a combo amp in a previous life....$40.00. Not fancy, but it works.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome. I have been pouring over kijiji for a couple months now to no avail. I am not unhappy with the H&K purchase, as it now opens me up for a second 1x12 when I bump across one. As I'm sure everybody knows, you rarely find what you are looking for, when you are looking for it. I've thought about pawn shops as well. A blown amp is what I am hoping to come across, as I figure it'd be the least expensive to an unloaded cab.

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
I've thought about pawn shops as well. A blown amp is what I am hoping to come across, as I figure it'd be the least expensive to an unloaded cab.
I'd be very surprised if you found any decent deals in a pawn shop, given my experiences locally. An old solid state that stopped working is much more likely, IMO.

Do you ever get down to the K-W area? If you do, I can keep a watch for a 1 x 12 cab on Kijiji and buy it for you to pick up later. You might also have some luck putting up an ad in the forum. What is your budget for a cab or blown amp?

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Hi Verne, glad you made it here.

Maybe change the H&K into an open back? Or make the back hinged and therefor adjustable so that you can tinker with the Reignmaker?

(Aside...Now, I run my Micro Terror into one of three cabs, the Orange cab loaded with an 8" McBride (I forget the model name) that sounds beefier than the stock driver, a Traynor YCX12WR (loaded with a 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex), or a Saxon 2x12 loaded with Eminence Tonkers. I have tried it with a Reignmaker (yeah, I found yet another one in a box marked for a different speaker) and it was handy for taming the top end, but I prefer the tone of the Cannabis Rex. However the original little cab gives it a gritty sleezier tone that's appropriate in some instances.)

Unlike the seeming majority, I'm not a huge fan of the V30 speaker so I'd be all over the Reignmaker in that H&K cab.

There's nothing wrong with switching between speakers according to our tone mood at the moment...we do it with guitars, amps, effects, food, drink, sex, literature, art, etc...so having two or more cabs available is just sensible. Hold out for the appropriate cabs on the used market, load them up and switch between them.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the most gracious offer I think I've had extended. Thank you very much. I'd appreciate you keeping an eye, then if you could let me know, we can go from there. I used to go the Hobby and Toy (then Lindt and Wendy's) in Kitchener every couple months, so going that way is definitely not out of the question.

I have no preference to front or rear loaded speaker either. I just want to get the Eminence out of this modded sub box and into a proper cab/amp. Open back since the attenuation is on the back of speaker.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mooh, by chance is that Orange cab you have the reason I have the Reignmaker? If so, thanks again. Love the speaker!!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to answer about budget. There isn't really a "budget" per se, but price based on condition is obviously a factor. I also don't want to spend the same dollar figure for something blow, or empty, that I can replicate with a loaded cab. I appreciate the help. Never thought I'd go to an amp and 2 cabs, but reality is setting in. I am so glad I asked what I thought was a simple question based on opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Not really an option at this point, but it has entered my head. My only concern would be running 2 different rated speakers. I assume I could run both since the cab is wired parallel and both speakers are equal to or above the head power, but I don't know enough and don't want to chance blowing the head up.
Power rating is not a problem. Different speaker impedences (Z) is not a problem either in and of itself, but you do have to watch out for a few things. You can't put them in series cuz then Z is too high, but in parallel you get a weird number - 5.33Ohms. This is fine (see all the 3 x 12 cabs in history, including by Fender, Sunn, and Garnet - same 'issue' with those - usually used 3 x 16Ohmers so also 5.33 ohms total; they called it 6 - in theory you can use either 4 or 8 ohm tap on the amp, I'd measure the DCR and use whichever was closest; probably 4). The other thing is that the 8 ohmer, being lower Z, would draw more power and therefore be a tad louder; depending on relative speaker efficiencies, and your preferences, this may or may not bother you or even be noticable.

Reactions: Verne

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have decided I don't know enough about electronics to start mixing and matching. I will just mount the Reignmaker in a cab and have 2 individual. Just a shame the speakers aren't matched impedance. No biggie, as it will give me a possbile 3rd sound to the cab and my Marshall combo amp.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
If yoi want a cab made, I have a friend who builds cabs locally. Also london based.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool. That'd be awesome, but to reimburse for material and his time and skill, it would cost more than I am looking to spend. There is no rush on the 2nd cab, so I will just watch for something that comes up. If it comes to a custom cab, I will definitely contact you. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to add to my preexisting thread. I have since mounted the Emi in a 1x12 cab. It is closed back as I couldn't find an open back within my $$ range. Not a real big deal as I am a novice and at this point, the FDM wouldn't be used anyway. Okay, now the reason I am back. I was poking around today and came across a blog from H&K with a brief case scenario to do with mismatch impedances. According to the image, I read that I "can" run the 5.33 ohm through the head. Since there is no other setting, the head is always 8ohm. The interent is a wonderful place, so full of conflicting information. HAHAHAHA I really do prefer the sound of the head through the 16ohm Celestion anyway. But I did try a quick run with both, and WOW....was it ever a full sound. The 8ohm was a bit louder, but not overpowering. Here is that image, and please correct me in the assumption that they've said it's okay. I have read some amp companies say absolutely no way to mismatch, but it seems H&K are okay with it.

https://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/ohm-cooking-101-understanding-amps-speakers-and-impedance/#comment-33606

1 - 20 of 28 Posts