The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Which simple delay pedal to get?

Tags
delay mxr pedal
2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  amagras 
#1 ·
If you could buy one delay pedal with the requirement that it has to be fairly straightforward to use (no crazy Strymon computers) and needs to cost $200 or less... is there any reason not to go with a Carbon Copy? I've never used one in person and it's hard to hear the differences between digital and analog in YouTube vids...

#2 ·
The CC implements pretty much every best practice in analog delays, accumulated over the last 40 years. Hard to go wrong with it. They make 'em in mini-pedal form now. So, to answer your question: no, there is no sound reason NOT to go with it. And if you live in the right sort of municipality, you may be able to snag one second hand for a good price.

#11 ·
I’ve gone through my share of delays and currently use a Strymon Volante and the delays in the Fractal FX8 and Kemper Profiler.

My faves include Diamond Memory Lane jr. for its simplicity and great delays and the TC Electronic Flaskback for it’s flexibility and wide range of available delays including the TonePrint technology.

Both of these units are good bangs for the buck especially the Flashback.

#17 ·
The Danelectro Fab Echo can often be bought for under $25. It is set for one specific delay time, but if a person is handy with a soldering iron, it only takes a very simple mod to get it to provide a wide range of delay times up to around a half a second. It's the same digital delay chip that just about every delay under $120 retail uses. I know people look down their noses at the plastic enclosures, but those suckers are sturdy. Just another choice.

#18 ·
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Line 6 Echo Park or DL4. You can probably get those for under $200 used. Or the M5 has all the same sounds and more for less than $200 new.

But if I were you, I'd spend a few extra bucks and get the Carbon Copy Deluxe so that you can get the bright switch, tap tempo, and more control over the modulation. (Delay with modulation is really cool and can fill out the sound in a great way, so don't overlook the mod!)

#19 ·
Moog no longer makes guitar pedals so the one I am thinking of would likely be well under $200 in the used market.
The MF-Delay was/is an amazing sounding analogue delay with rich, warm tones and easy controls that just work well for guitarists.
In my estimation it is the very best analogue delay ever made for that price-point and footprint.
They didn't sell a ton of them, which is most likely why they no longer make them so finding one in the used market will be more difficult than finding a Carbon Copy but if you can, it will be worth the effort.

#20 ·
I would try to demo the carbon copy next to a dm-2w (also analog) and a dd-6 (digital) and go with the one you think sounds best. I always found the CC a little too dark, and the dm-2w in custom mode is perfect for my ears. I also think a lot of people believe they need analog delay when a dd-6 would do exactly what they need and sound great.

#24 ·
If there’s anything I don’t like...maybe a few too many knobs/switches. I’m used to a basic carbon copy.

I love the pedal though. I haven’t really found my 2 or 3 quick dial in sounds yet. I particularly like the ability to go into more shimmery, almost tremolo like reverbs if desired. Getting the delay AND reverb while only using a bit more real estate than a regular sized pedal while also only using one port from my power supply is a huge plus. The big selling point on this one as opposed to some other similar pedals? A separate switch for on/off for delay and reverb. Most of the other similar pedals had delay and reverb but it was a blend with only one on/off switch. The second button was for tap tempo or something else. For me, I would rather be able to separate the effects than have access to tap tempo. Mind you I don’t really do the ULTRA repeat delays that make tap almost required.

#25 ·
If you think the CC is too dark, there is a solution....
Electronics Audio equipment Technology Electronic device

#26 ·
the Joyo delay can be had for about 40 bucks. It's a digital chip emulating an analog chip. Works well enough for home use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.