The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which Velcro side will pick up less scuzz when strips are attached to the pedal board given that there'll be times when nothing is attached to parts of the Velcro strip and there's all kinds of crap in the world that can mess it up.

Two sides to the Velcro: (1) the hard plastic sort of hooks side and (2) the side that is more like fuzzy felt.

Which is best to put on the board ?

Thanks

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Personally, I will often use/test a pedal on its own, after performing some sort of mod. Because my office and work area has indoor/outdoor carpeting, putting any pedal down on the floor will result in a struggle to get it off the floor...UNLESS the velvety half of the Velcro is on the pedal, and the hook/eyelet side is on the pedalboard.

On the other hand, when one buys 2nd hand pedals that come with Velcro, one is sort of bullied into adopting whatever standard the brunt of previous owners use. That's not a problem for me, since I either make my own pedals, or am the first owner to affix Velcro.

So I guess the answer to your query is dictated by "the wisdom of the crowd".

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I rarely buy used stuff.

Does the hook side accumulate more debris than the velvet side and is the hook side easier to clean if it does get dirted up ?

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
I bought a pedal board with preattached velcro and it had the 'fuzzy felt' on the board. It came with a roll of hook-stuff to put on the pedals.

That's the way I'd been doing it before I got that board but that kind of confirmed it for me. The pedals stick to carpet sometimes (good and bad to that) but the pedalboard doesn't pick up as much lint and crap. I think I got a few used pedals that also came with the hook-stuff already attached.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if the board doesn’t pick up as much crap with the fuzz side on it then that’s what I’ll do. The one I got came with two rolls of each type and each roll is twice the width of the board so could go either way.

If it came to going somewhere without the board and just taking two pedals or so I’d probably reinstall the batteries and Velcro them to a lump of plywood.

P

·
0 Posts
soft fuzzy side on the board, rough side on the pedals. I have bought many pedals with Velcro and that's the way they are as well.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I have to make this decision as well. Frankly, soft on pedal makes more sense to me — otherwise, the pedals will stick to carpets/rugs when not on the board. What’s he logic/rationale for the opposite approach?

Update: should have read the thread before posting, it has all been discussed. Fuzzy on pedal still makes more sense to me per @mhammer.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Yep - as others have said, hook side on the pedal (that's the part that will accumulate fuzz and debris) and the fuzzy bit on the board. I do this, in addition to the board not getting all scuzzy, because then you only have to buy hook side tape for your pedals; I buy (cheaper by the square foot from local fabric stores) felt to cover my boards with.

Testing is a poor reason - just stick a pc of paper (or a book, magazine , binder, clipboard etc) on the floor under it. Personally, I put the velcro on after I test it - very rare actually hat I have gotten a pedal with velcro already on it, but I guess that happens a lot to other people. Also I usually test up high (on a table or on top of amp) so I can tweak the knobs to see what it can do/if they all work right; not like its a show and super accurate on/off actuation with my foot matters at all in that situation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts