The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the electronics and pickups in my Agile AS-820 (335 clone) and am loving it. The guitar now has SD 59s and the RS Historic Complete kit installed: what a freaking difference and what a great guitar!!! The electronics switch was like removing a blanket from the sound . . .

Now I want to deck out my recently aquired Agille Cool Cat Prestige (hollow body). I have been getting into rockabilly lately and was thinking I could kind of turn this guitar into a Gretsch type thing but I am open to any pickup suggestions.

So what do you think? P90s, Filterons? The only stipulation is that they must be humbucker sized.

Thanks
TG

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
GFS makes some nice Filtron copies called Liverpools. I put them in an Artcore and they sounded great. The obvious choice are TV Jones Filtrons, but you are looking at a ton of money to get a set. They are what Brian Setzer uses, and they are what come in a lot of the custom Gretsch models.

P-90's a great for Rockabilly too though. They have a lot more bite than Filtrons, but they sound great in hollow bodies. My main Rockabilly guitar is my Reverend Charger 290 which has a chambered body and P-90's in it.

How are you liking the Cool Cat? I thought about getting one awhile ago. The bodies are too thick for me though. Awhile ago they had a small run of a thinner version in that Gretsch orange colour. I have only seen them on forums a couple of times.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen the GFS stuff but most of the reviews I have read claim they are too hot and sound more like a humbucker. Kent Armstrong makes one too. I've only read one review on HC but it was good. Have you heard anything about these?

Yeah, the TV Jones stuff is very expensive but if they are a lot better than anything else I would spring for it; they are not "that" expensive and I would hate to buy cheaper pickups first and then end up buying the expensive ones anyway.

I love P90s but I know I will eventually buy a solid body P90 guitar so I am trying to go with another flavour!

The Agile Cool Cat is awesome! Ebony fretboard, plays great, nice case. I don't mind the full body size as it really adds to the sound. The thinner one was called the IJ CoolCat and isn't (and won't be) made anymore. Have you checked out the Agile AS-820 (335 clone).

TG

torndownunit said:
GFS makes some nice Filtron copies called Liverpools. I put them in an Artcore and they sounded great. The obvious choice are TV Jones Filtrons, but you are looking at a ton of money to get a set. They are what Brian Setzer uses, and they are what come in a lot of the custom Gretsch models.

P-90's a great for Rockabilly too though. They have a lot more bite than Filtrons, but they sound great in hollow bodies. My main Rockabilly guitar is my Reverend Charger 290 which has a chambered body and P-90's in it.

How are you liking the Cool Cat? I thought about getting one awhile ago. The bodies are too thick for me though. Awhile ago they had a small run of a thinner version in that Gretsch orange colour. I have only seen them on forums a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Well as I mentioned, I had the Liverpools in a hollowbody and I don't agree with anyone that says they sound like a normal humbucker. BUT, I know some people who have tried the Hot Liverpools and haven't liked them for that reason.

I am a member of the TDPRI forums and a lot of people over there use GFS pickups. Personally, I listen to reviews more from people I 'know' than HC reviews.

You'd be looking at roughly $120 USD a pickup as far as I know for the TV Jones ones. Plus shipping and taxes.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope I didn't sound like I was ignoring your recommendation; perhaps the reviews I have been reading were all for the "hot" version. Is the GFS construction the same as the vintage trons? I certainly don't want to overlook anything.

I know what you mean about HC reviews. Too many inexperienced people giving "10s" to all their gear (crate ss amps with awesome "tube type" distortion!!!) :eek: Sometimes, however, it is the only place you can find reviews.

TG

torndownunit said:
Well as I mentioned, I had the Liverpools in a hollowbody and I don't agree with anyone that says they sound like a normal humbucker. BUT, I know some people who have tried the Hot Liverpools and haven't liked them for that reason.

I am a member of the TDPRI forums and a lot of people over there use GFS pickups. Personally, I listen to reviews more from people I 'know' than HC reviews.

You'd be looking at roughly $120 USD a pickup as far as I know for the TV Jones ones. Plus shipping and taxes.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Another option is to look out for some Gretsch pickups on eBay and other forums. Someone had a set of them on the Gearpage a couple of weeks ago.

I know Reverend makes Filtrons too, but I don't know if they sell them seperate from their guitars. They have a ton of sound samples of their page of the Filtrons playing pretty much every style of music you can think of.

I know it's an annoying term, but the GFS are very good for the money. They are well built, and give a great Filtron sound for the price. And you don't really have much to lose trying them since they are so cheap. The TV'trons though are a BIG investment. I think my price quote on them actually might have been moderate.

I have read posts/reviews from people who have played through both TV'Jones and GFS and they again say the GFS are 'quite good for the money'.

GFS also makes a Dearmond style pickup called a Brooklyn. At some point I am going to buy a beater dual humbucker guitar and try some of the various models out.

One thing for sure is there are a lot more options for P-90's out there than there are for Filtrons. I have I owned guitars with 3 different types (Gibson, Reverend, Seymore Duncan) and all 3, while sounding different, sounded great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TV'Tron's

I put in a TV Jones TV'Tron in my Warmoth Thinline. It sounds great for rockabilly! I was going to put an SD Phat Cat in the neck, but went with a Filter'Tron voiced pup (think Gretsch) instead of a P90 voiced pup in a humbucker sized case.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Another vote for the TV Jones Filtertron TV Tron(humbucker sized) pickups. And TV himself called me to find out how I liked the TV Trons!!! Talk about customer service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts