The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should probably have gone in one of the guitar sub-forums, but since both electrics and acoustics are eligible I figured this would be a better place for it.

If you ever needed to liquidate your guitar collection for any reason, which is the one guitar that you would keep and why? For the purposes of this thread, let's just pretend that all of your guitars are of the same value. In other words, do not let value dictate which you would keep.

For me, it would be my partscaster Tele. As much as I like my acoustic (although I can't play acoustics worth a damn), and love my R8 and ES-335 (my AVRI Strat is too new so the jury is still out on it), there is no question that I would keep my Tele. Not only are Teles super versatile, but that guitar means more to me than any other.

When I decided to put it together I sourced the parts (Squier Classic Vibe Custom body, Fender Classic '60s neck, and Vineham pickups - although those came a year after it was originally assembled) and a friend who is a guitar tech at my local L&M put it together for me. While he was doing that, my Dad was taken into hospital and passed away a week later. Dad had nothing to do with the guitar, but the timing forever connects him to it in my mind. I've even named the guitar after him (my other guitars don't have names).

When my friend was done putting it together I asked him how much he wanted for the work he had done because we had never discussed the cost. But when I did that he just handed me the guitar and said "just take it and enjoy it, I don't want any money for it, you've got bigger issues to worry about." That simple act of kindness from a friend on the death of my Dad made the guitar mean just that little bit more to me.

So what about the rest of you - which guitar would you never part with, and why?

L

·
0 Posts
'85 SG Standard. My first Gibson. Custom ordered through L&M. The only guitar I own that I bought brand new.
Black on black. So black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.
All the best components offered at the time. Including Shaw pups, which, at the time, I knew nothing about.
It was only after a friend wanted to buy it 20 years later that I started to research what I actually had.
And that brought me here, to GC.
My first post was inquiring about Shaw pups and if I really had them.

This guitar will be passed on to my nephew.
He told me to hurry up die. lol.

001.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,838 Posts
Everything else I own was bought/traded as used.
Sorry, I meant about the thread.

I have a conundrum. The guitar I learned on? The first custom guitar I got? The custom guitar I have coming in? All very important for various reasons.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
guitar: Gibson Sonex 180 Custom
- first guitar; bought when I was 17 at a Church st pawn shop for (at the time) too much money - it's to the point where I would be in the black by maybe 100 bucks if I sold it now
- heavily modified by me, so pretty much perfect
- wicked (original) pickups - I got LP sounds (neck isn't too muddy; bridge is riff monster) as well as strat with both pups coil tapped (without looking like a Strat and without that annoying trem system)
- great neck
- my bike mechanic has been working on a replacement stainless steel pickguard for this thing for ... like 4 years now, and I can't sell before that's done because it'll look and sound awesome (the metal pickguard gives it some acoustic volume; vibrates like a flat top - the pup/control route is all one large hole under the 3/4 coverage pickguard. I know this because I made a non stainless one, but it was rusting due to being a ground plane so I had to paint it, killing the effect)

bass: 1965 Gibson Eb3
- bought it for a song; stripped to the wood with the remaining hardware in a bag (no bridge, but original electronics)
- ain't worth squat on account of refin, refret, some non-original parts, and an obvious but very well repaired neck joint break
- I would never be able to afford replacing it, even at 90s prices vs current values.... and how else am I going to talk to whales (dat mudbucker; get yer dub on)
- great neck

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
1991 Gibson SG 3 knob special. It just feels right. I can’t put it into words but every time I play it I feel good. When I’m struggling with a song I pickup this guitar. When I’m down I pickup this guitar. When I just want to noodle I pickup this guitar.

·
Premium Member
13,031 Posts
If I was forced to sell off my guitars and keep just one, this would the last one standing. I have had this one for 12 years. It just fits me like a glove. As for the sound, I could swap out the loaded pickguard for another if I wanted something different.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
This is my cold dead hands guitar, a Marc Beneteau acoustic. I ordered it immediately after landing a new job and took delivery in 1995. The job didn't last but the guitar certainly has. It's seen me through a lot of the trials of life. Besides arguably being my best guitar, it's the most sentimental to me. A couple of other guitars come close to this, primarily a Josh House acoustic, but not close enough.

It's basically one of Beneteau's standard designs with my requested 3 piece back (I like the look, that's all), my family symbol on the back of the headstock, my initials and the brook trout on the fingerboard. Originally it had Schaller machine heads with ebony buttons but I replaced them with Gotoh 510s ages ago when I wanted the Schallers for a lap steel I built. It's been refretted with EVO frets after the originals really couldn't be dressed anymore. When I bought it I promised myself it wouldn't leave the house but that was enormously naive of me...it's basically my everything guitar, cottage, camping, jams, gigs, beach...though, very few people other than me have played it, I'm kind of protective.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
My 1937 Kalamazoo KG-21 archtop. Perhaps I may eventually acquire something else I'm similarly attached to, but recent stuff comes and goes. I could always find something just as good. But 1937? They don't make many of those anymore.
Googled it. Nice guitar!

The only archtops that have really turned me on were beyond my wallet's capacity. Spent a day at Elderly years ago, expressly to buy an archtop and came home empty handed.

·
Premium Member
11,879 Posts
My 77 Les Paul Custom. Sentimental - 1st good guitar I owned. I worked all summer to buy it. Practical - it's still probably the best electric I own. Nothing like a good Lester.

Then I would give my Lowden F35 to my SO. And that would be the one guitar she gets to keep. And seriously, she will get to play it - if and when she wants to. :D

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Probably it would be my Halcyon NL-00. It has a pickup, so I could play it amplified and I play unplugged quite a lot, too.

I’d have to keep one acoustic and one electric, though. I don’t know which electric I’d keep, if I’m honest. Every time I contemplate which ones I’d sell and keep, I pick different ones.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts