The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of this recently when I uploaded the photo of the Brian Moore guitar that I bought years ago at Song Bird. I remember back in the mid 80's there used to be a store on Pharmacy Avenue here called Music Express '84 that had some really nice gear for sale. You never knew what would show up in the store. I remember one time when I walked in I saw a 1968 Gibson Goldtop Les Paul in a glass case. They were selling it at the time for $2,500.00 which was too expensive for me. The thing I didn't like about the guitar was the fact that it was pretty beaten up (you have to remember this was years before the "relic" craze) and I thought at the time, "Who'd buy a guitar like that?" :rolleyes: That store wasn't around very long and they later turned it into a variety store. :eek:

But the two stores that I really miss are Song Bird Music and Encore Music Exchange. What stores in your area do you miss? If your favourite music stores are still around and successful, that's great.

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
I miss Mother's although it wasn't as good towards the end--but they did carry some accessories nobody else does locally--and had a good selection of short scale bass strings.
And I bought guitars, pedals & an amp from them as well over the years.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
There was a used music store here in Ottawa on Preston called Used Sound i believe. It was owned by one of the funniest characters. Everyone called him Chip. I miss that old store. It was a great place to get really good deals and hang out for a few hours. I love the old stores, they have so much character.

L

·
0 Posts
Kalua Music. Kingston Rd, two blocks west of Midland Ave in Scarborough.
Top of my street. Always stopped in after school.
Bought my first electric guitar there. Univox Oxblood LP.
They would put a guitar on sale in the front window and drop the price $5 every day until it sold.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
There was a used music store here in Ottawa on Preston called Used Sound i believe. It was owned by one of the funniest characters. Everyone called him Chip. I miss that old store. It was a great place to get really good deals and hang out for a few hours. I love the old stores, they have so much character.
Actually, he picked up and moved his inventory to a smaller town in the Kingston or Belleville area. Given the prices he was asking at the time, and his rather flakey demeanor, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if, a decade or more later, he's still trying to sell some of that same gear for the same price.

I miss Retrotown here in Ottawa, and also the various pawn shops that used to be situated in the By Ward Market, like Sam's and Wiener's.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Actually, he picked up and moved his inventory to a smaller town in the Kingston or Belleville area. Given the prices he was asking at the time, and his rather flakey demeanor, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if, a decade or more later, he's still trying to sell some of that same gear for the same price.

I miss Retrotown here in Ottawa, and also the various pawn shops that used to be situated in the By Ward Market, like Sam's and Wiener's.
I had herd he had moved out that way. Retrotown was another great store and the old stores in the market where fun. All of my instruments in the 60's-7o's came from Weiners. I actually worked two stores down from them early 70's (Weiners Clothing store) and i would go everyday. My dad bought my first electric guitar and amp back in the 60's from them. Ah the good old days.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
I had herd he had moved out that way. Retrotown was another great store and the old stores in the market where fun. All of my instruments in the 60's-7o's came from Weiners. I actually worked two stores down from them early 70's (Weiners Clothing store) and i would go everyday. My dad bought my first electric guitar and amp back in the 60's from them. Ah the good old days.
I knew the name would come to me, and it finally did. These days, names seem to come to mind by Canada Post, rather than e-mail, if you know what I mean. The fellow who ran/owned "Used Sound" was named Hans, and I'm about 80% certain he now operates out of a town around Kingston, though a look on the map is not jogging any semi-familiar names.

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
There was a really good pawnshop on the east edge of downtown Van (I think it was called San Francisco). It really only dealt with jewelry and musical instruments, and the staff on the MI side were really knowledgeable. They weren't the cheapest place in town but they had good deals. I bought a few things there and really regret a few things I didn't buy.

The crazy price of real estate down there stamped 'paid' to that enterprise, sadly.

Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
In the Hamilton area I don't miss any that closed because they were not that good any how. L&M and Mountain Music had the Fender and Gibson rights in the area and the rest just fought for scraps.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
I used to get my strings at Pongettis, on the mountain. I miss them. I used to go to Pongettis when they were down on Barton, and got my very first pedals there: a Fernandes Funky Filter and an MXR 6-band EQ.

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
OP mentioned music stores so i am going with Sam the record man. And I used to love walking downtown looking for the bootleg album stores

·
Registered
930 Posts
When I was in high school (late 1970's) there was a guitar shop on King St East in Kitchener called East End Music. It was a short walk from my high school so we spent a lot of our lunches there. It was run by an older guy named Mike and he was quite over weight. Everyone refered to him as "Fatman". He was pretty good about letting us try guitars out and every guitar you picked up was "a good one!" according to him. :) If you showed any interest in buying he'd walk over and hang a 10% off tag off one of the tuners while you were playing! :) Age and health issues forced him to sell in the early 1980's and the store didn't last long under the new owner.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kalua Music. Kingston Rd, two blocks east of Midland Ave in Scarborough.
Top of my street. Always stopped in after school.
Bought my first electric guitar there. Univox Oxblood LP.
They would put a guitar on sale in the front window and drop the price $5 every day until it sold.
I remember Kalua Music. I went there a few times in the early 80's when I was still fairly new at guitar. As I recall, Long & McQuade took over the store, correct?

When I was in high school (late 1970's) there was a guitar shop on King St East in Kitchener called East End Music. It was a short walk from my high school so we spent a lot of our lunches there. It was run by an older guy named Mike and he was quite over weight. Everyone refered to him as "Fatman". He was pretty good about letting us try guitars out and every guitar you picked up was "a good one!" according to him. :) If you showed any interest in buying he'd walk over and hang a 10% off tag off one of the tuners while you were playing! :) Age and health issues forced him to sell in the early 1980's and the store didn't last long under the new owner.
Mike sounds like he was a really nice guy. The new owner should have been more like him.

I used to like to pop into Encore Music when Dave was running the place. Definitely miss Songbird as well.
Yep, same here. Which Dave are you talking about, the first Dave or his brother who took over later?

L

·
0 Posts
I remember Kalua Music. I went there a few times in the early 80's when I was still fairly new at guitar. As I recall, Long & McQuade took over the store, correct?
I'm not sure what happened.
They closed up shop and moved on.

·
Premium Member
10,857 Posts
The stores of my youth because even though they may or may not have been good, I was a youth. Age is over-rated.

Chapman & Hewett in London:

http://blogs.canoe.com/brandnewblog/entertainment/chapman-hewett-a-london-landmark/

The Carpenter Shop in Stratford, now L&M.

Ken's Radio and Music in Brantford.

There was a sheet music store in London, I forget the name, but it was awesome in the pre-internet age.

Edit...Hysen Music in London was the sheet music place I think.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I don't miss any but I wish we had a Guitar Centre here in Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Yep, same here. Which Dave are you talking about, the first Dave or his brother who took over later?
Dave Duvall. Funny, I ran into Dave after he left Encore when he auditioned (on drums) for a country band I was in at the time. I voted to bring him on but the singer didn't warm to him :) Too bad...It would have been fun.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts