The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Which Manufacturer Builds Consistently Quality Guitars

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are only ten choices so I apologise if I missed one of your favourites. I left out Epiphone on purpose as we all know it belongs to Gibson and many models are similar. The manufacturers names are ascending in alphabetical order so as not to show any favouritism by putting the largest or most well known at the top of the list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would without hesitation buy a PRS without first playing it - the two PRS Core Models I've had have both been nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Every Ibanez Artist I've played has been pretty consistent.

I have Artists from 1984,2003,2009, & 2014 They all play and feel almost exactly the same. Which is pretty important when changing from guitar to guitar.

Stuff from Samick Korea is usually quite good as well

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Seeing as how all the companies you have listed are successful ,well established and have a solid reputation in the industry, I'd say they all must have good "consistency".
People will choose what they like and know.
There is no right answer or consensus.

For example..a couple of people have mentioned PRS as a "contender" .
In my case, I've played several over the years and none of them tweaked anything in me whatsoever.
Doesn't mean they are wrong .
I have 2 US made G&Ls and would not hesitate to buy another without playing it first if I was in the market,a Tribute model would be a different story for me though.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I chose Ibanez as everyone I have picked up, owned or played have been outstanding in fit and finish and feel. I am also amazed at the consistent reviews that other owners give them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's my opinion, I have played and owned many guitars in the past. I played Gibsons from the 60s 70s and up and also played fenders from the 50s 60s 70s and up as well. My list also includes playing and owning a few Ibanez and ESP guitars. My current collection mainly consist of PRS guitars for a few reasons. One, they are the most comfortable guitar for me personally to play and they just feel right. 2, all the PRS guitars that I have played and owned have basically been perfect as far as build quality and playability goes. now I'm not saying they are all like that but I've seen quite a few and played quite a few and the ones that have come across my eyes have been pretty much perfect. I've seen quite a few newer Gibsons that I feel were very disappointing as far as build quality goes and playability as well such as terrible fret jobs and so on. I own two American fenders and feel they are great guitars and the build quality on them is great but I have owned a few in the past that were the exact opposite which sways my opinion on some of them. All of the Ibanez guitars I owned we're great even the lower end ones so I've always had a soft spot for Ibanez I feel a great guitars.

This is basically the reason why I've stuck with PRS over the years as their consistency I find it really is spot on you can buy one of their guitars and have High hopes that it's going to be exactly what you expect it to be. I'm sure there are some out there that have had bad experiences as it's bound to happen with any company but this is just some of the reasons why I prefer PRS

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,795 Posts
For good quality guitars on a budget, pretty much anything that comes out of Korea is kicking butt as far as quality goes. So, a few brands above would qualify IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with the majority of what's being built over in Korea. I own a PRS SE that competes with my core models and I also own a dean Hardtail from the early 2000's. that Dean is probably one of my best sounding and right up there with some of my best playing guitars. The Dean is solid, built like a tank and plays like a dream. Yes I had to change a few things like the pickup and the bridge but other than that it's kind a like my diamond in the rough.

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
I'll grab 10 suhrs in a row and they're all perfect. Same with Anderson and Ernie Ball.

Same goes for PRS, so I picked that.

edit: If I had to pick one out of the above guitar makers, it would be a PRS SC245

·
Registered
171 Posts
For me it would have to be EBMM, the ones I have owned have been fantastic. I have yet to pick one up that was not a quality build. I know that I could order one sight unseen and be happy with the quality when it arrived.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I think some people, like the OP, judge these brands based on what they've read on the interwebz and haven't had direct experience with some of the brands. You learn a lot more about a guitar's build quality changing strings for the first time than playing one for 30 minutes in a store.

Because I've never owned a Jackson or PRS, I choose not to vote, as it would be meaningless without all the information. I can say, of what I have owned, the two brands that were returned or sold the most quickly were Godin and Ibanez, at least partially because of poor construction quality.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't believe Maccaferri wasn't listed:(
Well, it was a toss up between Maccaferri, GFS and Gibson. I tossed a three headed coin and Gibson won.:D

Reactions: oldfartatplay

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I think some people, like the OP, judge these brands based on what they've read on the interwebz and haven't had direct experience with some of the brands.
Presumptuous but I get it. I don't think that it matters if there's direct experience as far as a poll goes. Quality and the perception of it is quite subjective.

lots of folks rely heavily on information from the web for better or worse including me. As far as this particular poll, I have had little to no experience with the brands listed so won't/can't vote.

If the internet is your only source of info and that is all you rely on to form opinions then you can't be trusted.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the internet is your only source of info and that is all you rely on to form opinions then you can't be trusted.
I agree and understand your point but I think if a person is discerning and has life experience, he/she can be discerning of other's opinions. In reading reviews/opinions on a piece of gear and if you disregard those from obvious newbies you can get a good idea if this is worth taking a look at. Although, ultimately, you need to assess it yourself before making any final decisions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts