The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
5261 - 5280 of 5321 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory

This is a new to me Squire I picked up from a local Luthier that builds acoustic guitars. He leveled frets, crowned frets, set the action and intonation. Plays well and his asking price was fair. I have a dream to build a “Black Strat” with Vineham Black Strat pickups and a toggle for a 7 way switch.

I know it’s a beautiful rosewood neck not a maple neck, I really don’t like maple necks?

I looked at a bunch of current Squire’s and I hate that 70’s headstock and was happy to find this beauty!

·
Premium Member
21,106 Posts
I'll be putting this one through some testing later today. It's a poplar body custom made for me by Nieman Guitars out in Cavan, Ontario. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of whacky nut job design I ask for, Nathan figures it out and provides it (thanks Nathan).

Neck is a NOS Allparts rosewood on maple with a shallow C profile. It was quite dry and needed some fret dressing (mostly just fret sprout) and also was at the limit of the truss rod (backed off). Now that it has tension on it for the first time in ???? years, it will develop a bit of bow and I'll have to adjust the truss a little. That should only take a few weeks. Right now it plays very nicely.
I'm thinking about adding a kill switch.

Tusq nut and retainer. Stays in tune.

Musical instrument Guitar Musician Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
1962 PBass, 1964 PBass, 1965 JBazz, 1971971 Les Paul Deluxe, mid-90s SRV Strat ... and a few others
229 Posts
Just my old Strat
Nothing special really, mid 90s US SRV Strat. Bought the body and neck from a guy that had stripped it to refinish and given up. Put in a set of Bare Knuckles Irish Tours and wired it up like Rory Gallagher's Strat with master volume/master tone. Blocked trem.
Super light and resonant ... alder I guess?
Does it for me.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
Just my old Strat
Nothing special really, mid 90s US SRV Strat. Bought the body and neck from a guy that had stripped it to refinish and given up. Put in a set of Bare Knuckles Irish Tours and wired it up like Rory Gallagher's Strat with master volume/master tone. Blocked trem.
Super light and resonant ... alder I guess?
Does it for me.
If I was going to own a strat, I'd want one that looked just like that.

·
Premium Member
1962 PBass, 1964 PBass, 1965 JBazz, 1971971 Les Paul Deluxe, mid-90s SRV Strat ... and a few others
229 Posts
Left handed bridge? Looks great.

Is that how Gallagher's guitar was set up? (honest question. I have no idea).
SRV had a left-handed trem -- some kind of Hendrix worship I guess, so the SRV Strat has it too. I don't use it, and blocked it wit ha piece of wood (like Rory did :) )

·
Registered
161 Posts
What fantastic Les Pauls! I'm a big fan and those are a couple of beauties. I prefer zebra pickups over the covers and have some myself.

It's a Gibson '59 Reissue day. Playing the 2009 50th Anniversary (of the '59 - left) and 2022 70th Anniversary (of the Les Paul - right). These guitars are very different.

View attachment 414835

5261 - 5280 of 5321 Posts