The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

So I've almost sold my Blackstar Artist 15 (pending pickup) and I'm looking to get a DRRI type amp (used) for around 900-950. I'm mainly looking at the '68 custom DRRI (with the vintage and custom channels) and a '65 DRRI. There may be the possibility of a '68 custom vibrolux if a deal works out and then I think I'll take that but this is my first foray into non-master volume amps, so I needed some help.

I don't want to use an attenuator cause I'm alright getting all my drive from pedals. So these will be more of a clean platform.

Does anyone have experience with both the '68 DR and the '65 DR (and maybe the vibrolux) and can tell me how one is different than the other? And how are these amps at lower volumes at home, especially the vibrolux cause I'm leaning towards that. I'll be able to turn them up at practice but do the cleans lose anything at quiet volumes?

anything else that I should know?

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I'm so close to being able to help you , lol.

I have owned a DRRI and a DR, never a CDRRI. However, my current go to amp is my CPRRI which solves almost every issue I had with the DRRI/DR. Its quieter, it actually has some distortion, its light(er). It really does sound amazing.

I thought I wanted a clean pedal platform amp (65), but in retrospect it was a lot easier for me to get a sound I like when my amp already has a bit of grit at the volume I am playing (68). i.e. classic rock. jam band type tones.

All tubes had to be changed (rattled like crazy), speaker got changes for the better to my ears, but the stock one is OK. The build quality was OK but I still had to take it apart and tighten all the chassis and cab screws.

I suspect, I would be very happy with a CDRRI if I needed that type of volume and the 2 channels. Actually, I was thinking of trying one out just so I could patch a mic into one of the channels and guitar into the other so I don't have to carry a PA. Be warned that if its like my Princeton, it gets a little dirt, very quickly on the dial, (like 3). Its not clean all the way to 7 like my DRs were.

C

Reactions: Sunny1433

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so close to being able to help you , lol.

I have owned a DRRI and a DR, never a CDRRI. However, my current go to amp is my CPRRI which solves almost every issue I had with the DRRI/DR. Its quieter, it actually has some distortion, its light(er). It really does sound amazing.

I thought I wanted a clean pedal platform amp (65), but in retrospect it was a lot easier for me to get a sound I like when my amp already has a bit of grit at the volume I am playing (68). i.e. classic rock. jam band type tones.

All tubes had to be changed (rattled like crazy), speaker got changes for the better to my ears, but the stock one is OK. The build quality was OK but I still had to take it apart and tighten all the chassis and cab screws.

I suspect, I would be very happy with a CDRRI if I needed that type of volume and the 2 channels. Actually, I was thinking of trying one out just so I could patch a mic into one of the channels and guitar into the other so I don't have to carry a PA. Be warned that if its like my Princeton, it gets a little dirt, very quickly on the dial, (like 3). Its not clean all the way to 7 like my DRs were.

C
That still does help! Yeah, I would need a bit of headroom cause I like the amp staying mostly clean. Maybe I should consider the vibrolux then..

Here's another question.. would you buy used from Kijiji (assuming the amp is used for 3-4 but in mint condition) or pay around $200 more and buy from Long and Mcquade and get that warranty if that helps...

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Want something that does good cleans no matter what, get a Twin Reverb. If not for the weight, I would probably be still using my Twin. Right now I"m using either a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb, a 1980 Princeton Reverb and when I need something bigger a 65 DRRI. Never tried a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb so I can't help you with that. Just remember the 68 customs have the Bassman circuit. It breaks up earlier than the 65 DRRI. My 68 Custom PRRI breaks up a lot earlier than my 1980 PR which has the blackface circuit like the 65 PRs.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
Want a light twin reverb - just get the last tone master (?) Series they just put out last year.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm I think 35 watts is good enough headroom for me, so I don't think I need a twin. I thought about a tonemaster but I dunno if I want my main amp to be non-tube. I have an iridium for when I need that kind of functionality..

·
Premium Member
17,145 Posts
Want a light twin reverb - just get the last tone master (?) Series they just put out last year.
I was thinking the same thing.
Fender Musical Instruments - Tone Master Twin Reverb 200W 2x12'' Amp

Hmmm I think 35 watts is good enough headroom for me, so I don't think I need a twin. I thought about a tonemaster but I dunno if I want my main amp to be non-tube. I have an iridium for when I need that kind of functionality..
OOOPS...I missed seeing this.
You might want to consider trying a Tone Master if you happen to see one. IMO, the tones from a Twin are in a class by themselves.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
I'll echo what Greco said - actually try the TM before you dismiss it just because it's not 50's tech.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Be careful with early versions of the '68 as I believe they had some issues. Later versions didn't, from what I remember.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I will be picking up the '68 custom vibrolux at a really great deal. Going there tonight! I'll give it a quick go but it looks in great shape! And I'm getting it for pretty much what I was going to pay for a used 68 CDR!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So yeah, I got the amp
:)

I'll put up a proper post about it on e I've had some time with it. But it is such a sweet and very ARTICULATE amp. I think the 35 watts do play a big role in the feel of the amp. It feels like it has so much to give and the notes really have a lot of definition.

Only one issue. Like people have said before, it is noisy. Especially with the bright switch on. But there's this weird thing that happens. Whenever I keep my foot on the metal part of the footswitch that came with it, the noise goes away almost completely. I don't really have to press anything on the footswitch, just have to keep my foot on it. Anybody know what the issue could be? And I've read somewhere that there's a mod that can be done on one of the parts relating to the negative feedback to reduce the noise considerably. Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
If touching metal helps, it's a grounding issue iirc.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Nice amp! One of the guys I jam with sounds amazing through his VRRI. 35-45W is a very useful power range for tube amps imo. I have a 1x15 converted 45W Super Reverb, and a 100W Twin Reverb. In two years, I've NEEDed the Twin once. A Deluxe or Vibrolux will be next on my list to acquire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts