The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an amp under 150 dollars. ill probably using a gibson les paul, and i will mostly be be playing rock. i wont play concerts or anything, its just for home but i will want to play loud sometimes...

my friend told me that line 6 and marshall amps are the best. i also want it to have A LOT of functions so that i can make make the guitar sound like i want.

which ones can you recommend>>>???

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
I'm looking for an amp under 150 dollars. ill probably using a gibson les paul, and i will mostly be be playing rock. i wont play concerts or anything, its just for home but i will want to play loud sometimes...

my friend told me that line 6 and marshall amps are the best. i also want it to have A LOT of functions so that i can make make the guitar sound like i want.

which ones can you recommend>>>???
I have a Marshall MG15CD that I used when I started playing again after a VERY long layoff. I outgrew it after 6 months - not overly impressed. I cannot comment on Line 6. There are better options than Marshall SS amps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Marlon.

I use a Line 6 Spider II 75 watt combo and I think it's a great amp. They did make smaller versions, 30 and 15 watts I believe that do the amp modelling thing as well but they don't have all of the options of their bigger brothers.

The smaller versions allow you to save 4 different amp presets of your choosing but I believe they don't have all of the amp models built in and they aren't accessible with a foot switch.

There are also 3 different versions of the Spider, the first being the red faced ones that go fairly cheaply and the latest one that was a joint effort between Bogner and Line 6. I think I'll be looking into that one myself.

I just saw a Spider II combo for $300 and a separate shortboard controller for $200 the guy was willing to sell separately.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Roland Cube 15.....great amp for the price....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Gibson Les Paul... $150 amp... whaaaaaat?! That's just wrong :eek:

My step dad has a MG30DFX... complete POS. The tone is so harsh to the ear that he doesn't even use it anymore. He either goes to the jam room and plays his JCM or comes up to my room and plugs in one of my amps.

Line 6 Spider III... bought the 75 watt one when I was a complete noob to amps and bought it without playing it first (gave myself a swift kick in the ass later). Kept it 3 days and returned it. Tone was so totally-over-the-top-digital it made me cry (not really but it was bad lol), add some chorus to the distorted tones and you'll hear it even worse.

Roland Cube and the little 15 watt Peaveys are the best tight budget amps IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Try the Epiphone Valve Jr. Just a little over your budget but you get tube amp and can be loud enough when needed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, i know gibson les paul - under 150 amp is stupid. ill upgrade to a better one later...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
+1 for the epi valve junior...get it trust me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sK5dzFwbfS8

heh...

and then with a cheap 150$ or so attenuator...you will be set.

Rather...if I were you...I would SERIOUSLY consider saving up until you have a decent sum of money (350$ or so...) and then go buy a better amp. I would STRONGLY recommend the Vox AD series. The new AD XT or something series has lots of high gain tones.

·
Premium Member
16,989 Posts
why did you buy a gibson les paul if you didnt already have at least a decent amp, if you dont mind my asking?

lol try this if you can: return it for a refund, get an epi LP, and get a used line 6 Flextone II...

or just keep it and get a peavey rage 158 and a zoom 707II..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
why did you buy a gibson les paul if you didnt already have at least a decent amp, if you dont mind my asking?
I never understood buying in that order either... a decent guitar through a good amp is a lot better then a good guitar through a shitty amp.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Fender Frontman is OK for cleans... that's all that's worth mentioning IMO.

Best amp for $300... ugh... don't know. Personally I'd save up another $100 and buy a used Peavey Classic 30 combo... they're always going for $400. Great all tube amp for the cash.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Fender Frontman is OK for cleans... that's all that's worth mentioning IMO.

Best amp for $300... ugh... don't know. Personally I'd save up another $100 and buy a used Peavey Classic 30 combo... they're always going for $400. Great all tube amp for the cash.
You might find a used pro junior for that price. Its a nice amp as long as you don't miss the master volume. The classic 30 or a used Blues Junior or a used YCV 20 would probably serve you well for about $400, and they all have decent resale.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have to agree with violation and zdogma on the Peavey Classic 30. I have one and it's a great "bang for the buck" amp. Very versatile and you should be able to get almost any tone you want from it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

lol try this if you can: return it for a refund, get an epi LP, and get a used line 6 Flextone II...

or just keep it and get a peavey rage 158 and a zoom 707II..
I think it makes perfect sense to buy a good guitar before buying a decent amp. You don't learn to play an amp. A good guitar is something that you take alot of pride in. It inspires you.

In the end, if Marlon discovers that the guitar is not for him, he can easily sell a good guitar on a site like this for a good buck. A decent amp looses value pretty fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts