• Roland Cube-60

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Vox Valvetronix ad50vt

Votes: 35 52.2%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,945 Posts
i'd have to spend a lot of time with all 4 of them lined up with my LP to tell you.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
this is a no brainer...the vox...I cant believe anybody would vote for anything else...thats sad...the roland comes in a close second...but it just sounds pretty synthetic to me...the vox is better anyway :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't spent enough time with the Roland to comment. I compared the microcube to a Vox DA15, and I preferred the Vox (although the Roland had some good distortion models). The Vox had better cleans and, to my ear, better effects built-in. And the Valvetronix has, to my ear, better tone than the DA15.

During my last round of amp shopping I tried the Fender Frontman -- I don't remember why I rejected it, but I moved on to try other amps.

The spider had a lot of effects, but I didn't like the tone very much. For a modelling amp, I think a buyer is better off going with a Vox Valvetronix -- good cleans, very versatile, OK effects (except the auto wah!) built in, too.

For a bedroom amp, especially for beginners, I'd recommend going with a smaller digital modeller, like the Vox DA5 or Roland Microtube. At band volumes you'll need more volume, and the modellers aren't at their best when played loud. I recommend going for a small modeller, and then saving some money for a nice little 15-30W tube amp for playing at higher volumes.

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
The Vox and the Roland. Personal preference now enters here. Like someone said, line them up and try them out.

·
Premium Member
16,945 Posts
i consider myself lucky, i get to plug into my jsx to practise - and it smokes at distortion!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seems that the frontman sucks.

i like the vox a lot but i think it would be cooler if the turn knobs were in the front

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've played Roland Cubes and the Vox, and they're pretty good amps for the price.

All I know is don't buy the Line 6. My friend has it and it's horrible.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I say Vox. Love mine. But I never tried the other ones.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
I prefer tube amps and own a Soldano Hot Rod 50, Koch Multitone 100 2x12 combo and Randall Lynch Box full stack.
All these amps are a lot to lug around, especially for practice. For tha treason i wanted a small amp i could easilly carry in one hand that had certain features such as mult channel and multi voicing. Most of all it had to sound respectable. Of all the modelling amps I tried and they include those listed in this pole plus some more... I liked the Vox AVT the most... so I bought one.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
You guys are understimating the Line 6 Spider III 75 watts, it is WAY better then any other listed. i<ve own one now for almost a year, and that's the only amp i need for now. you're not limited to a few sounds and don't need to buy a full board of pedals. i've programmed most the amps i used to run on it, and then set-up sounds for every band i play. it's just nuts how good this thing can sound.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts