The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to order a completely finished neck replacement for my Tele. Looking for recommendations on the best place to order, Warmouth, Allparts, other?

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
If you can drive to Ayr you can make sure your neck is perfect. No idea on Andrew's prices for that though.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can drive to Ayr you can make sure your neck is perfect. No idea on Andrew's prices for that though.
I think it was determined in another thread that local builders can't compete with the likes of USACG, All Parts, Warmouth, etc. I did some quotes from a couple of these companies and it seems for my specs it would cost me aproximately $500 Canadian + shipping. I had a quote from Freddy's Frets that started at $1,000.
One problem it seems that even ordering from Warmouth or other after market companies I may still have to take it to someone for a bit more work. USACG won't do the nut as they feel that should be the last thing done before putting it on a guitar. Possibly will need the frets worked on crown, etc. I'll be getting stainless steel so it might be hard to get someone to touch those.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I bought 2 Strat Allparts necks. One from stratosphere’s site on eBay and one from another vendor from eBay. Both Allparts necks, one had leveled, crowned and polished frets and a tinted gloss lacquer, just perfect. 1 piece maple neck.

The other one was tinted but very little lacquer sealer, sharp fretboard, sharp fret ends, and I had to level the frets. Rosewood board

Both the same price, about $375 shipped. The not so perfect one, with a little work is now perfect.

Your looking for stainless so you might have to contact and get a custom build. Most of the premaid tele necks don’t have stainless.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought 2 Strat Allparts necks. One from stratosphere’s site on eBay and one from another vendor from eBay. Both Allparts necks, one had leveled, crowned and polished frets and a tinted gloss lacquer, just perfect. 1 piece maple neck.

The other one was tinted but very little lacquer sealer, sharp fretboard, sharp fret ends, and I had to level the frets. Rosewood board

Both the same price, about $375 shipped. The not so perfect one, with a little work is now perfect.

Your looking for stainless so you might have to contact and get a custom build. Most of the premaid tele necks don’t have stainless.
Yes I'm quite sold on stainless steel for my 52. Its got stainless steel on the neck thats on it now and they are fabulous. If only the neck wasn't so dam slim. I keep playing with it and trying to like it but when I have my Masterbuilt nocaster here that has the perfect neck its hard to love the slim neck. Maybe I can recoup some cash by selling the 52 neck.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
I did some quotes from a couple of these companies and it seems for my specs it would cost me aproximately $500 Canadian + shipping.
So you can a) save shipping by driving the 2 hour trip to pick it up and b) probably save a little paying cash and c) get the *perfect* profile shape because you can try out a whole slew of necks and narrow down your preferences. That to me is worth an extra $100.

Having gone down the rabbit hole of "damn why aren't these perfect for me" to the tune of a couple grand, just get the exact thing you want the first time. If you happen to know exactly what specs you want in your neck and Warmoth/allparts is the cheapest, order up!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Precision guitars. You can customize your neck, shape , frets and fretboard. They do finish work also. Email or call Phil and tell him exactly what you want.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Most of the necks i have bought have been used and bought here on the forum. Most of them worked out and the others where sold. Best bang for the buck and hopefuly you find the perfect neck.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I have an SX tele maple neck. It's brand new as I removed it and am replacing it with a wider one. The SX neck has the standard 1 5/8" nut. I can ship it or bring it with me when I come up in early September.

The neck is off one of these.

SX Furrian MN Alder Fat CAR - RondoMusic.com

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well finally it looks like I've found what I need. I'm having Erik Hansen from Hansen Kustom guitars build me a custom neck exactly to my specs. This neck is going to cost me $350 all in. I thought that was a spectacular price. He had about 10 custom guitars all set up when I went to his house and I was impressed with his work.

Specs:
1 piece quartersawn maple neck
9.5 radius
6105 stainless steel frets
Bone nut
U profile .990 at first fret - .990 at the 12th fret. (no smaller than .990 no larger than 1")
10-46 gauge strings nickel wound
thin nitro on fretboard, Tru Oil on back of neck (as well please tru oil on back of my original neck)
Vintage Telecaster shaped head stock, logo "Hansen"
Truss rod at the heel

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why not order directly from Fender?

Edit: Oops, too late.
I think what I've elected to do is ultimately far better and definitely cheaper. With Fender I'll likely get another over rolled fretboard with frets beveled too much. I don't care about the logo on the head stock so much as how the neck feels to me. I've spec'd a neck to "almost" exact specs of my MB Nocaster neck. Once its done I expect that my 52 will get most of the play.
I haven't decided whether I'll sell the Fender neck or put it aside. Likely I'll just sell it.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Well finally it looks like I've found what I need. I'm having Erik Hansen from Hansen Kustom guitars build me a custom neck exactly to my specs. This neck is going to cost me $350 all in. I thought that was a spectacular price. He had about 10 custom guitars all set up when I went to his house and I was impressed with his work.

Specs:
1 piece quartersawn maple neck
9.5 radius
6105 stainless steel frets
Bone nut
U profile .990 at first fret - .990 at the 12th fret. (no smaller than .990 no larger than 1")
10-46 gauge strings nickel wound
thin nitro on fretboard, Tru Oil on back of neck (as well please tru oil on back of my original neck)
Vintage Telecaster shaped head stock, logo "Hansen"
Truss rod at the heel
That is very decent and I like your choice of SS frets. The only way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is very decent and I like your choice of SS frets. The only way to go IMHO.
I agree about the stainless steel frets. I love them. If the frets weren't so perfectly done on my Masterbuilt Nocaster I'd change them as well. Instead I'll wait till they need some fret work and likely change them then.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts