The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i have looked in local ads, and have narrowed them down to quite a few options. I'm more of an electric guitar player, so i'm not sure what to look for in an acoustic. Here are what i found and the prices. I'd love to get some input on this to make my decision easier! Thanks!

1. Norman B20 HG (with hard case) - 460$

2. Seagull S6 - 400$

3. 1975 Epiphone ft-150 (with hard case) - 350$

4. Harmony H106G - 50$ (I like this one for its cheapness, but not sure it's of good quality)

5. YAMAHA CPX-8 Tropical Marina blue - 600$

6. ibanez AW1050RLG - 399.99$

7. Simon & Patrick SC RW - 600$

I know this might not be very easy to answer, but so far i'm leaning towards the Simon & Patrick. I'd rather a cutaway, but not sure which of the previous guitars has the more bang for it's buck. Anybody have some kind of input?

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok, so i'm going to be totally unhelpful here, but give me a chance.

forget all these, and get a used martin 15. i purchased mine for 500 dollars, and it's been the musical instrument i've written the most songs and melodies on. it's the one thing that i would grab if my house burned down. i've owned my fair share of guitars, and played and turned down quite a few nicer guitars because they just didn't have it. this one does.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
ok, so i'm going to be totally unhelpful here, but give me a chance.

forget all these, and get a used martin 15. i purchased mine for 500 dollars, and it's been the musical instrument i've written the most songs and melodies on. it's the one thing that i would grab if my house burned down. i've owned my fair share of guitars, and played and turned down quite a few nicer guitars because they just didn't have it. this one does.

rounDSound's advice has as much to do with finding the right guitar for you, as it has about a specific brand or model. When you find the right guitar you can form a strong bond with it and its value becomes much higher than the price you paid.

At the price point you are looking at the quality, sound and feel (or fit to you and your playing style) will be all over the place. You really need to sit down with each and find the one that works for you.

From a pure quality standpoint, I would go with either the Seagull or Simon and Patrick. From a curiosity standpoint, I would like to check out the funky vibe that you are likely to get from the older Ibanez and Harmony.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
new vs old

If that Harmony is an old '60s model, it could be an incredible buy, but if it's a new model watch out. A lot of the old names have been picked up by offshore companies with varying results.

Of that list, without playing any, I'd bet the S&P would be the most likely keeper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
rounDSound's advice has as much to do with finding the right guitar for you, as it has about a specific brand or model. When you find the right guitar you can form a strong bond with it and its value becomes much higher than the price you paid.

At the price point you are looking at the quality, sound and feel (or fit to you and your playing style) will be all over the place. You really need to sit down with each and find the one that works for you.

From a pure quality standpoint, I would go with either the Seagull or Simon and Patrick. From a curiosity standpoint, I would like to check out the funky vibe that you are likely to get from the older Ibanez and Harmony.
exactly! i'm sorry my point was so narrow. i guess what i should have said was play as many guitars as you can, because i went through many before i settled on that one. it just seems that those who do find 15's, love them, and love them a lot.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alright thanks guys! looks like my parents are going to be doing a little driving around :smilie_flagge17:

Though thr S&P is really on the expensive side on my budget, i'm considering it the most so far. It's a cutaway, it looks beautiful, and it's made in quebec!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the tone and the neck condition of the guitar is more important than whether it is cutaway or not =) I think Seagull is a good buy because of the craftmanship.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the tone and the neck condition of the guitar is more important than whether it is cutaway or not =) I think Seagull is a good buy because of the craftmanship.
I really want a cutaway though, not because it looks 'cool' or whatever. I just hate the fact that sometimes when i play on an acoustic i cant reach over the 13-14 frets.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You should play each guitar and see which one speaks to you.

I would go with the S+P. I have an 02' pro flame maple (now called the showcase flame maple) and it plays and sounds better than any higher priced guitar I've played. Lots of bang for your buck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello and greetings.

I used to work in a music store for quite a long time, my father owned it. He still does, yet I don't work there. If I learned one thing about a guitar, it is that you have to try it. Unless you are a brand man and the name means a whole lot, it would be theoretically possible to find a guitar for 100 dollars that sounds gorgeous. Now, of course, the possibility is VERY slim. Yet, at the same time, quite possible. Well, the reason I am writing to you about this is that you must be very careful even with more expensive name brand guitars. It can work the other way around too. It could be that you get a guitar for 600 dollars and it doesn't have quite the feel or the sound for the money you paid. Again, it is more probable, but is not always the case. So, my advice is to go out and try the guitar. If you feel that you don't have enough experience to try out a guitar. I would suggest finding someone to go with you. The two things that are the most important when buying is the intonation, the sound quality, and the playability. Playability is probably the most important. If you don't like the way the guitar feels, you are not going to like playing the instrument.
That is my 2 cents anyway! Wish you luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are always A&Ls floating around used. There's one here in Calgary at a pawn shop with cutaway, electronics and hsc for $290. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The S&P's are the high end of the Godin line . I've prefered them over any other Godin's but that's my opinion , you will have to play each and decide for yourself . The S&P being a cutaway is a bonus BTW and that would add to the cost of any make of guitar .

My favourite maker is Marc Beneteau , I own an OM in birdseye maple custom built for me in 99 :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all your posts

I'm new here, and an absolute newbie. (Except I had a child's guitar when I was quite young.)

I'm 61 now and want to learn to play; we're buying 2 guitars for my wife and I, and we've started searching in our town.

We've met some incredible people, and some absolutely awful sales people. The search is fun.

Thanks for the thought that you put into your posts.

Regards,
DaveL

Toronto (Actually, Mississauga)

·
Registered
759 Posts
DaveL , make sure the neck is comfortable for your wife . One make of guitar not mentioned in this thead and really impresses me with the sound and quality of build is BlueRidge guitars . They are made in China but a super value .

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
My 12 string is a S&P Cedar 12--lovely look, and even better sound. I know others with S&P's--and everyone is a very nice guitar.

Now if you have the money there may be fancier and even better brands, but if you want a great bargain that sounds great, S&P is an excellent choice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts