The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1901 - 1916 of 1916 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,901 ·
Today, the Alvarez AP66ESB all Mahogany parlor.
Geeee !!! I cannot remember when it happened to me before : I tuned to pitch, made my warm up session, then checked and had to retune to pitch as sometimes happens, but it revealed to be a particularly hard task this very time. I played a bit and had to recheck tuning again. Geee ! Those strings were totally worn out with clear color change on the bass side !!! I am used to change strings when I feel they sound less than good, moreover should I see rust signs, but I never had so much difficulty to tune to pitch and stay tuned ! Yep ! That actually happens sometimes... not too often though ! Do I have to say what I did next ? ;)
P.S. Hung the wet hand towell in my music room for the first time today...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,904 ·
All-Mahogany day... almost with Alvarez AP66ESB parlor, Martin OODB and Taylor 322 (Mahogany/Blackwood).

This began with a silly question : Is a 2,5k$ Taylor worth it compared to a 600$ Alvarez ?
The Taylor has ernie ball Al/Br strings while the Alvarez has fresh D'Addario EJ. Both bodies are surprisingly similar, the Alvarez just has a narrower higher bout. The Alvarez scale is a whole fret shorter and this is a twelve fretter. I played many pieces back and forth on both guitars. The Alvarez sounds a bit clearer and less bassier than the Taylor.
Geee ! Is the Alvarez as clear as the Martin OOO-18 (Spruce/Mahogany)? I got the Martin out... and readily apologized to her : Clearly not in the lower range of the Alvarez !!!
Now, what about the other all-Mahogany beast, the Martin OODB ? Scale similar to the Taylor. Body a bit shallower but shorter (!) than the two others. The Martin Monel strings, as well as the body, certainly accounts for the bassier mellower sound.
Bottom line ? It appears clearly that the Alvarez should satisfy anybody !!!

Reactions: Mooh

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,906 ·
Gibson L-OO TV today... but for a very short while since I was playing very badly : It seems I was actually not at all in the mood to play... :(

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,908 ·
Today, Martin OOO-18 (2014) and Taylor 412ce (2007) duel !

Both guitars are same body size and scale but the Taylor has a cutaway and ESI on board; Martin is Spruce/Mahogany while Taylor is Spruce/Ovangkol and seems a bit heavier (due to the ESI?); the OOO-18 has fresh Martin MSP 4100 strings while the Taylor has old D'Addario Ni/Br.

Well, both sound quite alike and great !!! The Martin is a very little bassier, but not that much.

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Today, Martin OOO-18 (2014) and Taylor 412ce (2007) duel !

Both guitars are same body size and scale but the Taylor has a cutaway and ESI on board; Martin is Spruce/Mahogany while Taylor is Spruce/Ovangkol and seems a bit heavier (due to the ESI?); the OOO-18 has fresh Martin MSP 4100 strings while the Taylor has old D'Addario Ni/Br.

Well, both sound quite alike and great !!! The Martin is a very little bassier, but not that much.
I had a spruce/ovanhkol Washburn a long time ago. Shoulda kept it...sounded great.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,910 · (Edited)
The Taylor 412 vs the Martin OOO-18 again...
The Martin is definitely more musical with more resonnant complex sounds.
Even better with capo 2nd fret on Irish tunes.
@Mooh Well, I guess the Taylor is also a keeper... in DADGAD ! ;)

Reactions: Mooh

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,914 · (Edited)
Today, Larrivee OM-09 vs Guild F-30 Aragon.

Both should be keepers though the Guild came in with an awfully checkered nitro finish.
The problem I have with the Larrivee is that I love its tone with GHS Al/Br strings as previous owner suggested, but those strings rust quite fast and I do not like the tone this great acoustic delivers with ernie ball Al/Br on. Maybe I should try D'Addario EJ before l decide whether I keep it or not. The Guild appears a bit more comfortable to play.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,915 ·
Today, my three nylons battle : La Patrie Concert (Mahogany back and sides) against the Spanish Rosewood back and sides Aria AC-80 and Ramirez R4. All with a Red Cedar top.
The Alvarez body is an inch shorter with similar width and dept; scales are similar and both three have same strings on.

After forty-five minutes, I stopped because of back and hip boring pain... :(
I just can say the La Patrie has more bass and... the Aria needs fresh strings ! Oops !
I will have to have those compete again... next week.:-0

1901 - 1916 of 1916 Posts