The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1881 - 1900 of 1919 Posts

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,729 Posts
Playing the Gretsch Oil Can today mostly just to figure out where the pickup goes before drilling holes to install it. A lot of people mount the pickup right against the neck and it does sound mellow there but I found that it loses a bit of the resonator mechanical sound so I moved it back to where it is in the picture and it seems to sound more like the unamplified guitar does in that location.

I like the National Slimline Humbucker; its sounds close to the guitar sound and better than any of the piezo resonator pickups that I've hard so far.

I will add tone and volume pots later and the guitar still needs a set up because it’s a little bit tough to play and since I don’t play slide I don’t need high action.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,886 ·
Guild F-30 : Really sounds great with fresh strings ! :)
Even reminded me the sounds of a 12-strings acoustic for a moment... :D
Nope ! Really do not need a 12-strings acoustic ! ;)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,887 · (Edited)
Began the "knock-out" duels among my herd.
Today, Larrivee OM-09 against Guild F-30.
The F-30 appeared bigger... probably because of the pick guard... because the bodies are almost identical. Both have some spruce tops and Rosewood back and sides as far as I remember. The OM-09 has a bit longer scale. I though both had same strings, but the F-30 has still fresh ernie ball Al/Br while the OM-09 has two months old GHS Al/Br, since I had forbidden the OM-09 and ernie ball Al/Br marriage after previous experience according to my records. I played a few fingerstyle pieces on both, back and forth : The Larrivee OM-09 seems to deliver a bit more overtones, while the Guild F-30 would sound nearer to a clean country sound but the difference is not that big, so that I could definitely let one go : The question remains which one but I do have a few cold months ahead of me to anwer this difficult question

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,889 · (Edited)
First real fresh snow in Quebec City this morning ! :)
So I took my Xmas pieces books from the shelf...
and played some pieces on the joyful Martin OOO-18 ! ;)
But the rain is now washing out the snow ! :(

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
I’ve been playing bass in a band and neglecting my guitars. I decided to play my Yamaha LL16M. The strings were pretty old. I had Elixers on it. I had a set of D’Addario phosphor bronze on hand so I put them on. It will take a while to get used to the difference. The phosphor bronze are very bright. I like the tone but it is very different from the Elixers, not as full, more treble, but very articulate. You can hear every string.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
Always kinda dug the Yamaha LL. The local had one once that I thought was killer. Shoulda bought it.
When I bought it I went to the local L&M and tried every acoustic in the $3,000 range in the store. None of them did it for me. I really wanted a Larrivee but tried them all Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc. As I was about to leave the salesperson suggested I try the Yamaha. I saved a lot of money that day.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,894 ·
Today, rhe Martin OOO-18 again playing those Xmas songs again.

@Mooh @Kerry Brown
Interesting how everybody has his own tastes : I went the other way with the Yamaha LS-16 I once owned since I got bored with its cristal clear tone. Maybe I should have tried Elixir or D'Addario EXP before allowing it to go... :( Or maybe I did... do not remember.
I was not impressed either with the LL I expected to sound more bassier than the LS...
Nor the clearly more expensive (made in Japan instead of China) LL-26...
Yep ! "Taste" is in the receiver ! ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Still playing the J-15. The new 80/20's have settled and this guitar is sounding positively marv. Given how much I've been playing it, I think it has become my couch guitar.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,899 ·
The Taylor 322 again practicing/revisiting pieces for Xmas eve, could we gather this year !

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Musical instrument Piano Keyboard Musical keyboard Font

Spent an hour or so on this Heintzman grand this morning. My little volunteer job of occasionally opening a church on Sunday mornings has resumed, unseen since before Covid, and with it is the opportunity to play a really good piano in a really good room. Not guitar, that was last week, but just as acoustic.

1881 - 1900 of 1919 Posts