The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1841 - 1860 of 1913 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,842 ·
Retuned the Alvarez AP66ESB parlor I used to keep in open G DGDGBD in standard EADGBe to play some Irish/Celtic tunes. Though strings were old, it sounded quite good, but not so good with capo 2nd fret : This puzzled me since my other acoustics sound so great with capo 2nd fret. :(

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,843 ·
Had a short moment with the Godin 5th Avenue.
These days, I am revisiting some professional tabs I used to play with approximative note durations now that I can correctly apply note duration as they are written on the accompanying staff : Old habits are sometimes hard to correct while some others come very well. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today my mahogany Taylor GS mini was my couch friend. I am always surprised how much I like that little guitar. So easy to play ( if you have fairly skinny fingers) And I don’t have to worry about leaving it lying around.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,846 · (Edited)
Eastman AC122ce : How nice sounds this entry level Chinese !!! :)

Its battery pouch is now loose... I guess I will change the crappy under saddle factory installed piezzo for a Schertler Blue Stick I had got in another acoustic : A better one and no internal battery ! I keep that in mind until next string change...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,851 ·
The Martin OODB... mending some good old tunes, playing these slowly while reading the tab and ataff to be sure I did not develop some flaws : You know what I mean ? When your gut or clumsy fingers lead you to "improvise" ?

I will turn 65 very soon... The wife asked what I would like as birthday gift... Well, I would refer her to a pschologist if she were willing to offer a Collings I have in mind... But maybe she would agree to offer a used 12-strings Seagull I saw since she always wished I would try a 12-string acouatic ? :-/

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,854 ·
I realized I was not playing the Guild F-30 (down tuned in some C alternate tuning to play some Irish tunes). As it so bares 0,013 strings while it should have 0,012 strings in standard tuning, I retuned it standard but one whole step down (DGCFAD) with capo second fret making it EADGBE : I had read about that a few times, so I though why not instead of changing strings ? Finally played a few fingerstyles arrangements : Interesting, but not impressive...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,855 ·
The same down tuned Guild F-30 with capo 2nd fret
Still find that interesting...
Realized it has ernie ball Al/Br strings...
Maybe I should try fresh ones or d'Addario EJ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Made the drive to my nearest L&M in Tillsonburg to stock up on strings. For some reason the drive there always gets me thinking about some Stompin' Tom.

Anywho, got back and put a fresh set of EB Aluminum Bronze 12's on the SP000-16R. HUGE improvement over the Martin Clapton 12's that were on there before!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,858 ·
The Guild again... with capo 4th fret to play tunes usually played with capo 2nd fret in standard tuning.

Should try fresh eb Al/Br 0,013 strings, same down tuning with capo 2nd fret...

This could make me postpone my visit to the boutique announcing a used Seagull Coastline S12... :-/

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,859 · (Edited)
Larrivee OM-09...

Went at the local boutique to try the 12-string Seagull : It turned out they sold it weeeks ago ! :(
Tried the Guild 2512 they have : High action at nut ! Fortunately had my capo... Was it my clumsy hands fault? Not a succesful trial. Sounded quite good indeed.

Reactions: Mooh

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,860 ·
Martin OOO-18 (2014) : Still sounds great though the MSP4100 strings wears out quite fast !

Will have a bunch of string set to change in the following weeks !

An "administrative" issue I neglected for years just keeps my mind quite busy these days as I have to discuss the matter with some professionals in the field : Such is life... sometimes !!! :(

I keep playing guitar almost everyday anyway, still improving some pieces renditions. ;)

1841 - 1860 of 1913 Posts