Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,785 ·
La Patrie Concert... ;)

Reactions: Mooh

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I recently “repossessed“;) my father’s 1953 Martin 0-15 from long-term loan to my daughter in Regina. I had let her use this precious heirloom as she was learning to play guitar, and the small body and short scale made chords a little easier for her to play. However, she recently moved out to an acreage and no longer has time to play, so after 4 years away it’s now back in my collection.

Tonight I pulled it out, restrung it and greatly enjoyed its unique all-mahogany tone. I also brought out my 2015 CEO-7 and introduce him to his ‘older cousin’. There was definitely a contrast in tones, with the CEO-7 having more bass along with the dry but crisp Adirondack top end, and the 0-15‘s balance tone and sweet mids & highs. Interestingly though, they both ‘sound like Martins’ just in different ways. A fun night all around….

Musical instrument String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I recently “repossessed“;) my father’s 1953 Martin 0-15 from long-term loan to my daughter in Regina. I had let her use this precious heirloom as she was learning to play guitar, and the small body and short scale made chords a little easier for her to play. However, she recently moved out to an acreage and no longer has time to play, so after 4 years away it’s now back in my collection.

Tonight I pulled it out, restrung it and greatly enjoyed its unique all-mahogany tone. I also brought out my 2015 CEO-7 and introduce him to his ‘older cousin’. There was definitely a contrast in tones, with the CEO-7 having more bass along with the dry but crisp Adirondack top end, and the 0-15‘s balance tone and sweet mids & highs. Interestingly though, they both ‘sound like Martins’ just in different ways. A fun night all around….

View attachment 380733
Nice guitar, especially considering the connection with your dad. I have a '50 00-17 that seems to be getting the most play time lately.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,789 ·
Palyed some Country Blues on the Gibson L-00 TV :)

·
Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Unlike yesterday when I used the resonator bass, Dobro, and a ukulele for lessons, maybe today I'll just stick to the Dobro and an electric. One of my appointments today is with a piper and one has to be loud even with his chanter.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,791 ·
Today : Martin OODB, Yeah !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just picked up a 2007 Alvarez FR20SM. Solid Mahogany top, mahogany back and sides - my first venture into "all Hog". This guitar gets great reviews, even though new, it was $230.00 max. I got mine for much, much cheaper. Nothing wrong with it - could use a smidge of humidity - but otherwise, in decent shape. Put on some D'Addario XT Lights 12-53, and don't mind the sound, but I may swap these for some Monel's, just to see the difference (I've never tried Monel's, and hear they are nice on an all "hog" acoustic). This guitars loud when strummed, not so loud when fingerpicked, but the fingerpicking sounds wonderful. Strings spacing a bit narrow, but I have small hands. Narrower it seems than my old Yamaha FG. All in all, for what I paid ("tuppence"), this is a great edition to my not-so-expensive family of acoustics. Anyone else here own one? (Added this quote as a new topic, as well).

Reactions: mawmow and Mooh

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,794 ·
The Martin OODB again...

Just picked up a 2007 Alvarez FR20SM. Solid Mahogany top, mahogany back and sides - my first venture into "all Hog". (...) Put on some D'Addario XT Lights 12-53, and don't mind the sound, but I may swap these for some Monel's, just to see the difference (I've never tried Monel's, and hear they are nice on an all "hog" acoustic). (...) Anyone else here own one? (Added this quote as a new topic, as well).
I own a little all Mahogany Alvarez AP66 parlor (1 3/4" nut width) and an all Mahogany Martin OODB Jeff Tweedy. I have D'Addario EJ-16 on the Alvarez I keep in Open G, while the Tweedy came with Monel Retro 0,012". I never swithed strings so far, though I find the Alvarez tone quite high. But I had tried D'Addario EJ and Monel on the Loar LH-700 VS I had (you can find my review on this forum). The Loar Co. guys would suggest the EJ strings, but as I read some forum and wanted to try Monel, I tried these. The EJ made the Loar sound quite country (reminding Maybelle Carter's Wildwood Flowers sounds) while the Monel made it sound jazzy. Bottom line is I was to ban the Monel until I tried the Tweedy at the local store : I bought the Tweedy with the Monel on and never felt I should switch to any other set of strings. Another guy had EJ on his OODB, and wondered if he would switch to Monel because he founded the EJ tone too high. Hope it helps. ;)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,795 ·
Paid myself a sweet moment playing some melodies on the basic Eastman AC122ce this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
11,812 Posts
Didn't even touch a guitar yesterday. Instead, I went up north and stored my kayak and utility trailer at a buddy's place, picked wild apples, took a load of junk to the dump, came home to hang out with the Mrs, then crashed early. Maybe I can make up for lost (as it were) time today.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,797 ·
Taylor 322 through many styles...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,798 ·
Ramirez R-4...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,799 ·
Stopped at a local music store... and tried some Collings (O1 and OM1) : Oh man !!! The O1 is a little smaller than the OM1, but with a deeper body. Both sides sound great !!! As they had a Martin OOO-18, I made a short comparison since I do own an OOO-18. Geee ! The OOO-18 is clearly bassier, while the Collings sound nearer to my OOO-18 with capo at second fret. Sing after me : "If I had a million...."

Reactions: Mooh
1781 - 1800 of 1853 Posts