The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1741 - 1760 of 1784 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,674 Posts
@Roots-Picker Cool 12 string.

I haven't played an acoustic guitar yet today, just an electric lawn mower and electric weedeater. I did play an acoustic Swede saw though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
D-18 takes the day. Something I've been meaning to do for a while now...take about 2mm off the saddle to bring the action down a bit more to my liking. Man, I nailed it!! Action is much, much better and slinkier and sounds better too. Love'n it!!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
The '83 D-28 is sounding mighty big and magical today. Long story short. I was going thru some of my old guitar stuff where I found an old Jazz III pick (1.4mm I believe). I seem to recall that I did not like it at the time (years ago) and never used anything thicker than .88's. Not only that, but I've been playing fingerstyle (flesh only) for years and to my ears that was the sound I preferred. Only occasionally did I try to use whatever thin picks I had, only to think MEH! as far as tone was concerned only to put them away in a dark drawer again.

So, Jazz III in hand, D-28 in the other, played a G chord and KABOOM!!! Noodled some more on some Neil Young songs and became even more amazed at how this old guitar gut rumbled back to a glory that I really didn't know existed before!! I'm slowly trying to get my flatpicking skills going again now.

Been playing for 45 years and the lesson I learned...a 50 cent pick can make all the difference in the world! Wondering now what a Blue Chip pick would do...hmmm.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
The '83 D-28 is sounding mighty big and magical today. Long story short. I was going thru some of my old guitar stuff where I found an old Jazz III pick (1.4mm I believe). I seem to recall that I did not like it at the time (years ago) and never used anything thicker than .88's. Not only that, but I've been playing fingerstyle (flesh only) for years and to my ears that was the sound I preferred. Only occasionally did I try to use whatever thin picks I had, only to think MEH! as far as tone was concerned only to put them away in a dark drawer again.

So, Jazz III in hand, D-28 in the other, played a G chord and KABOOM!!! Noodled some more on some Neil Young songs and became even more amazed at how this old guitar gut rumbled back to a glory that I really didn't know existed before!! I'm slowly trying to get my flatpicking skills going again now.

Been playing for 45 years and the lesson I learned...a 50 cent pick can make all the difference in the world! Wondering now what a Blue Chip pick would do...hmmm.

I have other picks that I use on occasion, but overall I find my Blue Chip TD-45 (1.14 mm) always wins out in the end for a balance between growl, authority and high end. I have a heavier TD-60 (1.5 mm), but I find it too bassy for strumming. The only guitar where I wasn’t quite as much of a fan was my LG-2, but it still sounds good there. I think I might grab the 1 mm TD-40 for the small body and for getting a brighter tone from the big bodies.

Today I’ve been strumming and picking on the 50s Original J-45 with that same TD-45.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,747 ·
Today : Eastman AC122ce
The beast sounds great !

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,749 ·
My nails were just great today so that I dared play my great Taylor 510 wearing 0,013" gauge string. Gee !!! I had almost forgotten how it sounds amazing !!! :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,750 ·
Larrivee OM-09 : Sounded good though in need for fresh strings...

·
Registered
151 Posts
The D-18 with a fresh set of medium EB Aluminum Bronze and tuned to Eb. This is the first time with these strings on this guitar "and lovin' it" (as Maxwell Smart used to say...dating myself).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,752 ·
The Gibson L-OO TV... ;)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
@Lunnen

Wow, just wow!
Thank you @Mooh. It is a wonderful guitar. It is extremely light at just over 3lbs. Mainly due to the ebony truss rod. But just a very lightly built guitar. All original. I am very lucky to have been able to acquire it. It was well looked after. I also have an old chipboard case that I assume is original. 😊

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,757 ·
Okay, I was just playing my 2014 Marrin OOO-18... ;)

@Lunnen : Yeah the OOO-18 is great !!!
And your "46 one appears like brand new ! :)

Reactions: Lunnen

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,759 ·
Martin OODB to record a video (Piano Man/Billy Joel, fingerstyle version) to be sent to two grandchildren to underline their anniversary.

I had done A Field of Gold/Sting on the OOO-18 for my brother and brother-in-law yesterday.

Yeah ! I send the same pieces to relatives who would rarely visit each other, LOL !

Reactions: Mooh
1741 - 1760 of 1784 Posts