The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1038 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,001 (Edited)
Well, the Waterloos raised some interest here, ain't it ?

Yesterday night I got the silly idea to compare the Martin OOO-18 with
both Gibsons, say L-OO TV and L-1 1928 Blues Tribute.
Well, big surprise : The Martin did not sound that far from the L-OO TV !
But the Martin needs new strings : will change them in a moment...
So, would bring both Gibsons to the store for a "test drive" with the Waterloo ! :)

ADD ON : with fresh Martin MSP4100 strings, the OOO-18 regained some bell sounds and became more distinctive of the boxy sound of the L-OO TV.

By the way, it has been the second time the first string broke while winding to pitch. Today, the loop broke leaving the string free to slip and give away : It could help understand why Martin stopped the production of these MSP 4xxx series.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
2012 D18.

It was badly scuzzed up from playing outside in the humidity for 3 or 4 hours. Cleaned it with lighter fluid, applied polish, oiled the board and bridge then new strings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm pretty sure the lacquer on my guitars would melt and fuse to my armpit if I played outdoors in this heatwave...if it hasn't folded in on itself as the neck glue melts. Just noodling on my D-18. Sounds pretty darn decent today!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts

Playing this guy again. I hadnt been playing much acoustic until the last year or so, so I wasnt really approaching acoustic playing the right way for a while. I was playing with a fairly light touch and relying on my fingernails, like I would an electric. I should mention that I gravitate to fingerpicking a lot. But this guitar forced me to really dig in to get good tones when I finger picked d, which was leading me to think that it wasnt optimal for finger picking

Then I was playing my archtop recently (sans nails) and I finally connected the dots that my style of playing on an archtop will roughly translate to flat tops. Now I think I truly get this guitar. Even without fingernails, the tops popping now. I may even stop growing girly nails

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006
Today, Gibson L-1 1928 Blues Tribute : I used to like it as a reminder of
the great Robert Johnson but I now only love to play it !

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,007
My clumsy hands were back this morning making hard to play the Gibson L-1 well.
Maybe I should allow it to find another pair of hands... :-(
Still dreaming of the black Waterloo WL-14... :-/

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,008
Seagull Performer CW QIT...
I have to record an Irish piece for some incoming anniversaries of some relatives...

Reactions: Morkolo

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I ended up grabbing this National Estralita Deluxe off of Reverb last week. I love my steel one and this wooden one sounds just as great, with the added benefit of lighter weight and two extra frets free of the body. I couldn’t find one of these last year when I was looking and ended up with the steel, but probably would have grabbed this one had it been around.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010
Did it ! Brought the Gibson L-1 1928 Blues Tribute to the store and compared with Waterloo WL-14 TR (Black).
Maybe I should have brought along the L-OO TV as, compared to the Waterloo, it has the same body shape and is also a fourteen fretter, but I did not think I had to since it rings more than the L-1 and I want to get the good ole boxy sound. I guess the L-OO could compare to Waterloo X braced... maybe someday...
That said, the Waterloo sounded quite alike the L-1 even though the L-1 is a quite smaller twelve fretter and the store Waterloo had old strings which would give a less clear sound.
Anyway, I concluded that I could not put three grans on a less known brand that would not actually find its own place besides my Gibsons. Another GAS closed though !

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I ended up grabbing this National Estralita Deluxe off of Reverb last week. I love my steel one and this wooden one sounds just as great, with the added benefit of lighter weight and two extra frets free of the body. I couldn’t find one of these last year when I was looking and ended up with the steel, but probably would have grabbed this one had it been around.
Very nice !

I've been thinking about getting a National NRP with the Lolar Christian pickup and tone/vol pots but don't see any for sale and the build time is about 6 months. Also, ordering one may not leave much room to negotiate price and they ain't cheap.

Liking the resonators. I have a Gretsch Honey Dipper with brass body biscuit and it has good mid-range bark. Thinking about putting a Charlie Christian in it which would probably cost about as much as the guitar did in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Very nice !

I've been thinking about getting a National NRP with the Lolar Christian pickup and tone/vol pots but don't see any for sale and the build time is about 6 months. Also, ordering one may not leave much room to negotiate price and they ain't cheap.

Liking the resonators. I have a Gretsch Honey Dipper with brass body biscuit and it has good mid-range bark. Thinking about putting a Charlie Christian in it which would probably cost about as much as the guitar did in the first place.
Thanks. My NRP Steel is killer. I grabbed the Estralita because I wanted the wood body, the extra two frets and because it is ohhhh so pretty. I have the Estralita in G and can quickly capo up to A (I’m doing some Robert Johnson videos lessons and they’re in A, so it helps to be in the same key as the teacher). The steel is in D at the moment. I was doing some A/B and the difference in sound isn’t that huge, especially considering I haven’t put heavier strings on the wood yet and the steel has more playing time on the cone. I think the wood has a touch more sweetness when played with fingers, but with picks and a slide, they both sound damn good and very similar.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I’ve been back and forth between these two. I was writing a cheesy love/broken heart song on the Halcyon earlier, then tried to do the next phase of my RJ lesson on the Estralita, but my son wanted to go to the beach.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,018
Today : Taylor 510... I was forgetting how great the beast sounds !

I’ve often thought about getting one of those. But right now I’ve got too many guitars and nowhere to go and play them.
Unfortunately, Godin stopped the production of this only acoustic model.
As I remember you could get some e-versions (different pickup configurations) under "Godin Montreal").

P.S. I modified mine changing the nut for a Taylor like 1,75" nut width string spacing as the neck allowed to do so.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,019
Taylor 510 playing some Irish and Enya tunes. ;-)

Reactions: Morkolo

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Sigma DR28V again. I usually polish the guitars and oil the boards once a year so did that and put on a set of MSP 4200s which are no longer available. I bought 20 sets when I heard they were disco. Five sets left now but I’m really just using them up as I’ve gone to various versions of Elixirs on all the other guitars depending which they like better 80/20 or Ph/Br. Shaved a bit off the saddle on the Sigma; not much but it now plays cleaner up the neck and maybe intonates a little better too. This guitar cost $650.00 Cdn and for that money it’s really good. I added two pickups so about a grand all in. If this was the only guitar that I could afford, I wouldn’t have much to complain about.

HD35 Custom Shop is a strange bird though; still haven’t found strings that work really well on it. The D18 likes Elixir ph/br and the HD28V likes Elixir 80/20 but the 35 not so much.

1001 - 1020 of 1038 Posts