The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1038 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
View attachment 318922 View attachment 318924

Business has slowed down with the ending of the school year so there's more time to spend hanging out outside with the mutts, and this Moon mandolin. The photos don't show the wear and tear but it's getting a bit beat up.

Moon comes from Scotland, solid maple, spruce, and rosewood. It hung in a music shop for a while because they wouldn't budge on the price, but after they took it to a show and it was scratched a bit, they dropped the price so I snapped it up. I learned later from the builder that it should have come with a custom case or bag, and that the retailer or wholesaler had sold the case separately. Someone out there has the case.

I made the cocobolo/bone bridge, hollowed out from the underside, replaced the original cheap tailpiece with a Weber, rounded over the binding as it was kind of sharp edged, installed the Schaller machine heads, and attached the upgraded strap buttons. Someday I'll get it refretted and get the fingerboard radiused a bit more. I truly love this thing as it's been through thick and thin with me, back and forth to the east coast several times, gigged, recorded, and dragged to the beach and cottage. Simon Mayor (look him up, it's worth your time) once told me that he liked it and he doesn't generally get with flattop mandolins much. I kind of shrugged and allowed that it was very well played in.

I know a guy who has a Sawchyn (Regina builder) that I like a whole lot. It would be my idea of a worthy addition/replacement if it ever came to that.
Is the back made of maple? If so, what kind? I've never seen maple like that, especially on a mando.

·
Premium Member
10,867 Posts
Is the back made of maple? If so, what kind? I've never seen maple like that, especially on a mando.
It's maybe not the best photo. The Moon was made in Scotland so I don't know where the maple came from but it's just standard flame maple that is common on violins and mandolins.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #986
The Gibson L-OOTV after I dried from the heavy rain that ruined my round of golf ! :-/

·
Registered
856 Posts
Only been playing maybe a half hr/wk and man it always amazes me how fast I rust up.
Started working on Rylynn (Andy Mckee has a lesson on youtube), tuned the old ovation for it. Intro's down, suspect this is going to be one of those multi yr projects I may or not ever be able to complete.
Some fleetwood mac on the yamaha in double drop d, then John Hurt and JT Earle on the tanglewood.
Hope everyone's doing well. Had the day off as it's calling rain so quit cutting hay.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Sigma DR28V.

Pretty good workhorse guitar. Good intonation, 1&3/4 nut, V neck and I added a K&K as well as a De Armond mag sound hole pickup so extra option if the K&K doesn’t like the house PA. Plays and feels like a Martin just doesn’t sound as good but once it’s into a PA you’re just hearing the pickups anyway.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
The 2014 Martin OOO-18 : Aaaaahhh ! ;-)

Reactions: Mooh

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #992
La Patrie Concert nylon... ;-)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #994 (Edited)
Been playing alternatively and on and off Gibsons L-1 1928 Blues Tribute and L-OO TV for the last two days since I want to compare with Waterloo WL-14 TR available at my local music store... Would finally have to bring both Gibsons for that lenghty comparative session ! Yeah, I "unfortunately" got greater pleasure than ever playing the L-1 : I guess my private courses did help correct my technical skill as I can efficently fret (1,725 nut width) and play it fingerstyle much better than my clumsy hands barely allowed me to do before ! So, not sure I would sell this little L-1 to get the Waterloo... Anyway, I am planning the comparative session for some rainy day next week...

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Been playing alternatively and on and off Gibsons L-1 1928 Blues Tribute and L-OO TV for the last two days since I want to compare with Waterloo WL-14 TR available at my local music store... Would finally have to bring both Gibsons for that lenghty comparative session ! Yeah, I "unfortunately" got greater pleasure than ever playing the L-1 : I guess my private courses did help correct my technical skill as I can efficently fret (1,725 nut width) and play it fingerstyle much better than my clumsy hands barely allowed me to do before ! So, not sure I would sell this little L-1 to get the Waterloo... Anyway, I am planning the comparative session for some rainy day next week...
I don’t think you can go wrong with the Waterloo, but if the L1 is working for you, it’s a pretty darn cool guitar. I have the Waterloo Jumbo and it’s a fantastic guitar. One of these days, I’ll have to check out the WL-14.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
Today, a bit on Martin OOO-18...

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Waterloo, but if the L1 is working for you, it’s a pretty darn cool guitar. I have the Waterloo Jumbo and it’s a fantastic guitar. One of these days, I’ll have to check out the WL-14.
Well, I tried the WL-14 TR : I want that ladder braced bluesy sound.
The question is "Is it that different (Worth three grans ?) from what I already have or would I have to sell one or both Gibsons ?"

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Today, a bit on Martin OOO-18...

Well, I tried the WL-14 TR : I want that ladder braced bluesy sound.
The question is "Is it that different (Worth three grans ?) from what I already have or would I have to sell one or both Gibsons ?"
I have a feeling that if I try one, it will haunt me until I get it. I just ordered a wooden resonator to go along with my steel, so I’m hoping they will help with my “bluesy” GAS for a while!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I've been spending more time playing my Collings CJ35 recently. It took me awhile to appreciate the subtleties of this guitar, but now it’s pretty much my favourite acoustic. Kind of like a J-45 with “a little something extra” in the midrange....

And BTW....Waterloos are awesome guitars, too!

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Waterloo WL 14 X Braced Black Aged Finish - they just got it in at that expensive place on the Danforth. It's not far away .. lol
They already have a fair amount of my money, so what’s a few more bucks, eh?

981 - 1000 of 1038 Posts