The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I am picking up an old Super Reverb that has a loud hum. I figure it needs a cap job.
I know there is a place in Canada that has the right caps. I am also pretty sure there was another brand other than Sprague, which are crazy expensive.
A link would be good.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I really don't think filter caps affect tone. F&T was what i was thinking about. I find it ridiculous that Sprague has tripled their prices in the last few years.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, nice prices at Just Radios for sure .... wonder whether those caps are just as good as anything else for filter caps etc? Site says they're ISO9001 or whatever that standard is, so I assume they're Chinese versions of the same old thing...

Thanks for posting the link to them!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Wish I had known about JustRadios a couple of days ago — 630V and 1000V non-polarized high nF caps are relatively hard to find in retail.

I have some on order from RPElectronics in BC — good service, but limited selection and way more expensive than JustRadios (but nowhere near “voodoo majik vintage caps” expensive like on some specialty sites).

But I suspect future orders are going to JustRadios.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You could also go to partsconnexion.com --they carry a variety of audiophile stuff but caps (and tubes) that we use -- FYI there's a '25% off almost everything' sale that ends tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I already placed my order. I can't wait to get the amp working. Its a '69 Drip edge super reverb

·
Registered
24,357 Posts
I recently paid a visit to Abra Electronics, in St. Laurent, just a tiny bit west of the Decarie Circle on Cote de Liesse. Doesn't look like much from the outside - nearly drove past it - but I was impressed with their extensive selection of higher-voltage caps, both electrolytic and non-electrolytic. Decent prices, too.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Wow, the Just Radios is crazy cheap. Are they any good?
They are in Canada?
Thanks
My experience with them is good. And I also prefer to deal with Canadian companies. Like greco posted, they're in Scarberia. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been buying capacitors from Just Radios for about five years now. Great people to deal with, in the event that there's an issue with the order they quickly make things right.

Axial electrolytics are "MIEC" brad made by the Full River Capacitor Co. They also have the two-element JJ cans. Both are useful for rebuilding 1970s SVT bass heads:

DSCN0008.JPG

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I got my order in three days. Great prices too! I'm done with the overpriced Spragues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts